San Diego, California, US

Is that high or low?

Just curious.

Nov 18 15 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's about where it should be.
I started investing in silver during the early 1980's when it was under $4/oz.  I'd spend some money every week.  When it got around $8/oz it went back down and didn't get any higher, so I stopped purchasing and just abandoned all interest in the matter.  At the time it cost @ $6/oz to get it out of the ground.

Then a few years ago it shot up towards the $50/oz mark and I sold most of what I had.  It took 30 years, but the investment paid off well!

http://silverprice.org/

Nov 18 15 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Ask these guys  .  .  .

https://media.advisorone.com/advisorone/article/2012/07/10/Hunt_Brothers_AP_MI.jpg

.  .  .  they tried to corner the silver market in the 1980's, the Hunt brothers  .  .  .  pretty much cost them every dime (I don't know if they were silver Mercury dimes) they had  .  .  .

SOS

Nov 19 15 05:03 am Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

I dabbled in silver and platinum in the mid 1980s just after the Hunts nearly went bankrupt trying to buy up enough of the world's silver to control the price of precious metals.

I made enough money on my platinum trades to cover my losses on long positions in silver.  Platinum was a strategic metal used in the aerospace industry and there were very few productive mines.  It only took a few good rumors in the news to make the price of platinum shift.  Platinum prices shifted more radically than gold and silver ....  even though prices of all the "precious" metals tend to move somewhat together ....  and indirectly in unison with other metals such as copper.

I have been thinking about silver again for over a year, because the price is alleged to be below the cost of production.  I would have to do much more research before jumping in again.

Nov 19 15 07:08 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

should have put your money in lithium.

Nov 19 15 10:32 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

The F-Stop wrote:

when?

Nov 19 15 11:46 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

The Hunts are a subject for 'elsewhere' as it is a [gasp] political topic.

Nov 19 15 11:46 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
It's about where it should be.
I started investing in silver during the early 1980's when it was under $4/oz.  I'd spend some money every week.  When it got around $8/oz it went back down and didn't get any higher, so I stopped purchasing and just abandoned all interest in the matter.  At the time it cost @ $6/oz to get it out of the ground.

Then a few years ago it shop up towards the $50/oz mark and I sold most of what I had.  It took 30 years, but the investment paid off well!

http://silverprice.org/

And if it returns to 48 -- that is where it should be?

Nov 19 15 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

The F-Stop wrote:

HAHAHA
That was funny

----

And speaking of Hunt Bros, etc., why is/was JPMorgan stockpiling so much physical silver last spring? Are they still stockpiling? Divesting? Holding steady?

Why are they doing that?

There was a flurry of articles, but now I see nothing about that +/-

Nov 19 15 12:10 pm Link