Forums > General Industry > How much to charge for photos?

Photographer

Chubbypanda

Hi everyone.  Photog and a long time lurker on these forums, since I actually do more food photography than anything else.  Apologies if this is the wrong forum for these questions, or if they've been asked and answered elsewhere.

I was shooting at an event for a friend who was there as press when one of the organizers asked me to take some product and process (people making product) shots for him.  Afterwards, he offered to pay me for the photos, which I believe will be used on his company website.  The website is local in reach.

My questions are:

How is this type of transaction usually managed?
Is there a going rate?
Are there any contracts or paperwork I need to execute?  If so, where can I get them?
How do I make sure that I retain the rights to sell my photos to others or use them own my own site?
How do I limit his license to only permit use of the photos for his website?

I found this thread, but the situation is little different from mine - https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/952112

Nov 20 15 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

you need to look up usage rights.They are usually sold with a time limit for the campaign.  They are usually renewable for a smaller fee.  I use one I think it came from PPO.  Good luck.

Nov 20 15 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Chubbypanda wrote:
My questions are:

How is this type of transaction usually managed?
they are negotiated on a case by case basis

Is there a going rate?
no - there are too many factors that change the rate. shooting 100 books, each with a single setup is different from shooting a gift catalog with dressed sets and props

Are there any contracts or paperwork I need to execute?  If so, where can I get them?
yes, of course. you need the usage license, the work agreement (for medium to large jobs), the model vouchers or releases if models are hired. if you rent equipment and charge other fees, there maybe other paperwork. look here for examples:
https://asmp.org/tutorials/asmp-paperwo … lDgIb_4LXs
but - it may or may not be necessary depending on the size of the job or the client's requirements

How do I make sure that I retain the rights to sell my photos to others or use them own my own site?
in the us and most berne convention countries, that's not a worry unless the client requires a assignment or transfer

How do I limit his license to only permit use of the photos for his website?
covered in the usage license or work contract.

Nov 21 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

Question :

IF you shot those images during the time you said you were working for your friend in the press ...
Wouldn't those images actually be theirs and not yours ?

Nov 21 15 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Photos by Stan wrote:
Question :

IF you shot those images during the time you said you were working for your friend in the press ...

I have to agree.  This doesn't even sound right.  If this person was one of the organizers they should be able to get ALL the images you shot from whoever was in charge of photography. 

As a corporate event shooter, we don't charge extra for basically more shots.  If they need some product shots, we do it.  I usually only have my camera and speed lights but I do what I can.  It's not a commercial/advertising shoot.

Nov 22 15 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Photos by Stan wrote:
Question :

That varies according to the original agreement. Just like the description above for how to negotiate this agreement, sometimes people will get a cheaper rate by allowing the photographer the right to resell images.

As with so many things in these forums, the answer is "It depends."

Nov 22 15 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Question:

Where in the world are you?

I don't think anyone can offer any meaningful advice to you if we have no idea where you are,

Nov 22 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:
Question:

Where in the world are you?

I don't think anyone can offer any meaningful advice to you if we have no idea where you are,

According to his website.  Southern California

Nov 22 15 01:03 pm Link