Forums > General Industry > Photographer who would like to get into..

Photographer

Katie McCampbell

Carlsbad, California, US

Modeling? I'm not quite sure where to start.. I lack zero confidence in front of the camera and modeling is something I have always wanted to dabble in. I used to model for fun for a friend but totally have no idea how to pose anymore and I have a small portfolio but unfortunately I haven't updated it in years. Any advice?

Nov 21 15 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

So what's so hard?  You're already here as a photographer---you're just expanding your horizons a bit.

You might ask a photographer friend to shoot a basic 4-6 image starter model portfolio (or just shoot it yourself  You know what you're looking for in models -- everybody else is looking for the same things) submit a new membership request, mentioning your existing profile (you should sail right through the gatekeeping process) and then do all the things you want models to do. (Answer casting calls, show up on time and ready to work, be cooperative and fun while at the same time conducting yourself in a professional manner, don't be a PITA, etc.)  You'll probably scare off some of the less skilled photographers who will be afraid that their work doesn't measure up, but that should balance out with the ones who appreciate having a model who speaks the language to work with.

The rest of it will just fall into place as you go along.

Good luck and have fun on both sides of the camera.

All IMHO as always of coursel.

Nov 21 15 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Do lots and lots of self-portraits.

Nov 22 15 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As stated, self portraits. You have an advantage here as a photographer.

Nov 22 15 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Katie McCampbell wrote:
Modeling? I'm not quite sure where to start.. I lack zero confidence in front of the camera and modeling is something I have always wanted to dabble in. I used to model for fun for a friend but totally have no idea how to pose anymore and I have a small portfolio but unfortunately I haven't updated it in years. Any advice?

As a photographer (and in general), I support people who are willing to try to do stuff that makes them uncomfortable.  Don't be afraid to fail -- our failures are more educational than our successes.

I have a friend who is a model & a photographer -- in her youth, she did tons of nude self-portraits, and eventually her self-portraits (nude or not) became world class.  Try it.

Also, this is an excellent excuse for networking.  Get to know your local photographers & models.  A year or three ago, I used my local network & hosted an "extreme portrait party" -- we had about five photographers over, I broke out my strobes, and we all took turns photographing each other.  The idea was to make unusual portraits -- not the sitting still with a fake smile in glory light; we were looking for action & movement and so forth.  Twas fun!

Bottom line -- go for it!

Nov 22 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Katie McCampbell wrote:

Typically as "artists" we are more critical of our own work and ourselves than of others.  Hell, I am so critical of pictures of myself that I've been known to hide from my sister when she'd try to take candid pictures of me!

It's a matter of feeling comfortable.  It's also a matter of feeling at least somewhat in control.  Taking selfies is a good way to start, but finding someone you trust is even better.  I don't trust my sister not to post ugly candids of me on Facebook, but there are other photographers I do trust. 

Pushing yourself to go out of your comfort zone is a learning experience.  Try it, and if you find that you don't like it, well at least you learned something more about yourself.  If you should find that you really enjoy it, then that is a huge positive to enriching your creativity and your life!

Nov 22 15 12:21 pm Link