Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Windows 10 in a starting loop

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Never was crazy about windows 10...But Windows 10 is driving me crazy......
If was using my laptop for business, I would be force to go Apple!
Is any one at the helm at Microsoft? This is the most unreliable piece of software!
Thank God I have Windows 7 on my desktop...They keep telling me to upgrade now
and if I wait I would have to pay for it!! Are they out of their mind? Even if they paid me
I would not do it!
Any advise on loop thing?? I guess this will take me a good part of the day.....
Unless the Geek' Squad comes to the rescue and send the bill to Bill

Nov 22 15 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Boot with a Linux disk to get access to your files.(free)

Win 7 will have the automatic updates make the Win 10 upgrade more "mandatory" and hard to avoid in the new year. Be warned.

Windows 10 boot loop
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-25 … -loop.html

Linux Mint
http://linuxmint.com/

Satire
Is Linux Mint a terrible desktop distribution?
http://www.itworld.com/article/3006979/ … ution.html
comments
"Okko7: ”Whenever I install on a new machine, I'm bored because there is nothing to fix anymore.” "
"Bomberokmn: Seeing Linux mature to a point where I can download an ISO, send it to a USB drive, reboot and have a fully functional system in under half an hour is incredible.”"

Nov 22 15 07:49 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Thank you for your help! I will try...Have a great day!

Nov 22 15 08:50 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I got the feeling while at Fry's in LA last week buying a new MSI gamer's notebook with the latest GTX980M nVidia card pre-loaded with Windows 10 Home, that M.S. will eventually sell you a $119 Home or $199 Pro disk sooner or later even if you buy it with 10 or you go the upgrade/update route. Refresh leads to a major mess with Adobe software licensing too if a refresh is called for and it erases your loaded (Adobe) software prior to you being able to deactivate it (You used up one of your two cat lives with them, so to speak.).

My initial Refresh on my old computer lead me to a "Disk is Locked" message.  What da foo!?  Only option then was a "New Install."  Ugh!  Bye-Bye software and old drivers too.  Then it became a brick.

Aside, I'd be curious as to what Adobe does with their subscription model vaporware model too if you Refresh or Reinstall to the point your CC licenses are used up too if you couldn't deactivate it prior due to a crash or hardware un-communication with whomever (Deactivation can be an expensive mess having been through it now if you cannot even do it!).

My old Sager wi-fi/modem internal card gave up and I could see the LED signal light twinkling like it was getting ready to croak.  It did.  Couldn't run or connect to the internet at all, not even via Ethernet.  Old machine, maybe 6 years old and about $4K back then too.

So new Windows 10 computer appears and out goes the Sager Windows 8.1 computer.  Some initial leaning episodes, but then my x-rite hardware will not work!  Ack!  So my old $1,500 i1 PhotoPro 2 will not work at all on Windows 10 Home?  Even stumped x-rite who maybe did a couple of hours remotely trying to sort it out and they failed.

Yep, updating can be a mess.  Even with Apple if the hardware is old and the new OS doesn't work with it.

Then there is this learning curve thang... (Although I got the hang of 10 easier than 8.0).

Nov 22 15 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nov 22 15 10:29 am Link