Forums > Photography Talk > Boston/Northeast region places for tourist photos?

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm making my first trip to Boston (or the entire northeast) in a few weeks and will have a day to do whatever I want.

I realize Boston has a ton of historic places to visit, but I want to return some other time with my gf to visit those kind of things. So instead, I'd like to drive in the area and hit as many states as possible to find some great landscapes to photograph.

For example, there's a lighthouse shortly into Maine, then maybe drive through Vermont and NH into NY (near Albany), then back into CT and RI before going back to Boston.

1. Is it possible to do all that in a single day?

2. Are there some great photographic areas in those other stats I could hit along the way?

3. Will weather be a possible issue, or only if there's a storm?

At some point in my life, i'd like to have one really nice picture (landscape) from every US state, and this is a chance for me to hit 7 states I've never been to before.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Nov 24 15 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

I definitely wouldn't try to hit them all up in one day! That's a LOT of driving, and you're really going to loose out on "seeing"  New England, IMHO. Even if you are going to be coming back at a different time, pick and choose. Especially if you're going to be staying in Boston- it's more driving thank you think!

I live in internal Western Mass (near the CT border). It's an hour 45/2 hour drive for me to get to Boston, and a 45 minute/hour drive to Hartford. The "scenic" parts of CT (Mystic, etc) are at least another hour, 2 hours from there. NY is 3-4 hours from where I live. In addition, it's another 2 hours / 2 hours 15 minutes to New Hampshire from where I am, 2 hours to Rhode Island (an hour 30 if coming from Boston though) and 5 hours into Maine. If there's traffic (and there will be) and tolls (also yes) it will go even longer.

You could consider taking the amtrak around, but you'd only be able to stop at designated stops.

Nov 24 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hmm...OK...sounds like I will at least skip NY, as that was the furthest out I was going to try to go. I'll have a rental car, and I'm fine driving 8-10 hours in a day and just stopping for photos and such.

Nov 24 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Hmm...OK...sounds like I will at least skip NY, as that was the furthest out I was going to try to go. I'll have a rental car, and I'm fine driving 8-10 hours in a day and just stopping for photos and such.

But you won't get to stop enjoy any of it?  I guess that was my only thing... driving like a maniac to get around to a bunch of different states and *maybe* stopping for a photo or going off route isn't much of a vacation.  The highways you'll be on aren't exactly scenic, they don't have much to stop at in terms of scenic places like CO does, and the awesome scenic places are more off the main routes than they are on.

New England is beautiful- there are lots to explore. If you had a week, I'd say go for it and all of them! But, if you only have a day, go up to the Cape, hit up Rhode Island and a little bit of CT that you can get to easily from RI. If you want wilderness, take Rte 2 all the way down. Concord is great and has a lot of history too!

Nov 24 15 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Stay within a 1 hour radius of Boston. There are plenty of things to see. You will need time to find a spot, park and scout the area for a possible photo. Stay away from Plymouth Rock. It is just a stupid rock. You can also drive down to the Cape. North of Boston is less populated so there will be more nature. Going west on route 2 is very scenic. The best places for nature and landscape are in Western Massachusetts. But that is a 2 hour drive from Boston.

Here is a photo I took in Hadley, MA. http://www.mediacompassphoto.com/#!/por … cAsm9z_aHk

Nov 24 15 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Stephoto Photography wrote:

But you won't get to stop enjoy any of it?  I guess that was my only thing... driving like a maniac to get around to a bunch of different states and *maybe* stopping for a photo or going off route isn't much of a vacation.  The highways you'll be on aren't exactly scenic, they don't have much to stop at in terms of scenic places like CO does, and the awesome scenic places are more off the main routes than they are on.

New England is beautiful- there are lots to explore. If you had a week, I'd say go for it and all of them! But, if you only have a day, go up to the Cape, hit up Rhode Island and a little bit of CT that you can get to easily from RI. If you want wilderness, take Rte 2 all the way down. Concord is great and has a lot of history too!

So a jaunt up to the Maine coast isn't worth it? I'm more into less people and buildings. smile

My day off would be on a Friday - so not sure how that affects traffic routes to any mentioned places.

Nov 24 15 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

me voy wrote:
Stay within a 1 hour radius of Boston. There are plenty of things to see. You will need time to find a spot, park and scout the area for a possible photo. Stay away from Plymouth Rock. It is just a stupid rock. You can also drive down to the Cape. North of Boston is less populated so there will be more nature. Going west on route 2 is very scenic. The best places for nature and landscape are in Western Massachusetts. But that is a 2 hour drive from Boston.

Here is a photo I took in Hadley, MA. http://www.mediacompassphoto.com/#!/por … cAsm9z_aHk

Thank you, sir! Noted!

Nov 24 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

OK - a stupid question (as a non-drinker): I like to collect wine (bottles) from different places (the actual vineyards) for a small display in my house. If I wanted to pick one up, any suggestions on the easiest place to get to, or is there something local that's available anywhere there?

Nov 24 15 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

So a jaunt up to the Maine coast isn't worth it? I'm more into less people and buildings. smile

My day off would be on a Friday - so not sure how that affects traffic routes to any mentioned places.

If you like lighthouses, Maine is the way to go big_smile But it'd be a day by itself. You were talking about trying to hit up several states at once, and the MA-RI-CT route is the quickest way to do that.

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
OK - a stupid question (as a non-drinker): I like to collect wine (bottles) from different places (the actual vineyards) for a small display in my house. If I wanted to pick one up, any suggestions on the easiest place to get to, or is there something local that's available anywhere there?

Cape Cod most likely, although Boston would probably have some wineries, in addition to the breweries, also? big_smile

Nov 24 15 12:01 pm Link