Forums > Critique > Which one is better?

Model

Zandra G

Göteborg, Västra Götaland, Sweden

Hi,

I've been playing around a little with curves and vibrance on this image, but I don't know what settings are better. I uploaded four variations:

1:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39726316

2 (original):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39724710

3:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39726196

4:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39726305

Any constructive criticism would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Nov 27 15 10:37 pm Link

Model

alba111

Detroit, Michigan, US

I don't know much about photography.. but I really like #3!

Nov 27 15 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Melissa Wenger

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Zandra,

Stay away from those you've cut the background out of- the effect is quite cheap, heavy-handed and almost scary.

The original is quite flat so the vibrance punched up is an improvement (#1),  but still very far off from a professional looking image.

Is there a reason you are retouching images yourself?  Have you asked the photographer's permission to do this, or given him/her a chance to retouch them first?

Nov 28 15 11:21 am Link

Model

Zandra G

Melissa Wenger wrote:
Zandra,

Stay away from those you've cut the background out of- the effect is quite cheap, heavy-handed and almost scary.

The original is quite flat so the vibrance punched up is an improvement (#1),  but still very far off from a professional looking image.

Is there a reason you are retouching images yourself?  Have you asked the photographer's permission to do this, or given him/her a chance to retouch them first?

Thanks for the feedback. But what can I do to improve it then, besides increasing the vibrance?

Yes, there are actually two reasons I'm retouching it myself - because I'm trying to learn and because I took it (with help from my mom, who is also learning).

But anyone who thinks they can do a better job on it is more than welcome to try!

Nov 28 15 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Melissa Wenger

Zandra G wrote:
Yes, there are actually two reasons I'm retouching it myself - because I'm trying to learn and because I took it (with help from my mom, who is also learning).

Ah, I see.  Kudos for taking the initiative to set up a portrait, but you have enough in your book to substantiate working with a professional photographer who can give you images to elevate your portfolio.

IMO, if you are going to hold on to this particular image, you'll have to do some high-level dodging and burning, some adjustments to the makeup (specifically the lips), some cloning to the hair and begin with the original image, because what you have posted looks so unnatural and overworked.  You really see it around the fingers and edges of your hair.  Phlearn has some great tutorials.

But of course, this is just my opinion.  You have to decide for yourself how you want your book to represent you and use that to guide all your decisions.

Nov 28 15 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Melissa Wenger

Zandra G wrote:
But anyone who thinks they can do a better job on it is more than welcome to try!

Then why not try posting the original images in the Digital Art and Retouching Challenges section on MM Forums, assuming you have the RAW files?  I'm sure plenty of folks would like to take a stab at it and show you what you can get from this image.

Nov 28 15 01:22 pm Link

Model

Zandra G

Melissa Wenger wrote:
Ah, I see.  Kudos for taking the initiative to set up a portrait, but you have enough in your book to substantiate working with a professional photographer who can give you images to elevate your portfolio.

Maybe, being a model isn't my main goal though, I just want to be able to create high quality portraits and art. I only posted on this account because I don't have a retoucher account.

Melissa Wenger wrote:
IMO, if you are going to hold on to this particular image, you'll have to do some high-level dodging and burning, some adjustments to the makeup (specifically the lips), some cloning to the hair and begin with the original image, because what you have posted looks so unnatural and overworked.  You really see it around the fingers and edges of your hair.  Phlearn has some great tutorials.

The only puspose with this image was to practise retouching, but maybe it's easier to start on more high end photos.

I fixed the lips (at least in my opinion) in another version that I didn't upload here, but I guess it's still too much (except for the hair which isn't retouched enough)? Edit: image removed

And I should've combed my hair before before shooting... I did some very quick and sloppy cloning on it as an attempt to remove some of the worst tangles but I wanted to focus on the other things first. I'd like smoother, shinier hair in darker auburn, I just didn't get to it because I didn't know if it would be worth the time. In case I ditch this one and start over with something else...

My biggest struggle though is that I don't relly know when it's enough. I guess it's a common newbie thing.

Thanks for the tip, I've been watching some of his tutorials already and I'll definitely watch more of them!

Nov 28 15 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

As someone mentioned above, the masking job is REAL bad. You really need to work on that. Do you mind answering what software and technique you used to mask the images? Perhaps I can give you some tips on doing that better. It's going to be rather difficult with that wild of a background though.

So of the four you presented, I'd say the original is the best, but it's a really dark photo to begin with, so I'm not really sure what to say.

Personally, I'd go with

E: None of the above

Nov 28 15 03:59 pm Link

Model

Zandra G

Shot By Adam wrote:
As someone mentioned above, the masking job is REAL bad. You really need to work on that. Do you mind answering what software and technique you used to mask the images? Perhaps I can give you some tips on doing that better. It's going to be rather difficult with that wild of a background though.

So of the four you presented, I'd say the original is the best, but it's a really dark photo to begin with, so I'm not really sure what to say.

Personally, I'd go with

E: None of the above

Alright, thanks for the feedback, I guess you're right!

And I guess the first problem is that I did a poor job cloning the hair. The second one is that I was lazy and didn't make a selection, I only painted on the mask and I didn't zoom in enough when I did it... but my computer got superlaggy so I couldn't do it better.

Edit: image removed

I'm using Photoshop CS5. However, I think the psd file got too big for my computer to handle, I know I shouldn't be retouching on a laptop but it's my only option atm.

Nov 28 15 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Melissa Wenger

Zandra G wrote:
Maybe, being a model isn't my main goal though, I just want to be able to create high quality portraits and art. I only posted on this account because I don't have a retoucher account.

Honey, that's a whole different ballgame! In that case, this isn't portfolio feedback, and I'm surprised a mod hasn't locked this thread.  You need to create a retoucher account (I'm not sure if MM still allows you to switch professions) and this thread needs to be in the DAR serious critique section.

Zandra G wrote:
The only puspose with this image was to practise retouching, but maybe it's easier to start on more high end photos.

Bingo.  Now that I'm judging you as a retoucher, I have to say, you need to spend more time on Youtube.  IF you create a retoucher profile, you can visit the Challenges, Contests, and Samples section of forums and ask for files to work with:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/76

I've posted here, but one stipulation I have before releasing my images is that you have a retoucher account.  I wouldn't send my files to someone who has a model account.

Sometimes, retouchers just message me asking for files to work with- that's another good way to build a retouching profile.

Zandra G wrote:
My biggest struggle though is that I don't relly know when it's enough. I guess it's a common newbie thing.

But now you know! Maybe pick a reference photo so you can see a style you want to mimic, and see how far THAT retoucher goes with their work so you know when to stop.  I edit all my photos with some kind of reference up on my other monitor, or sometimes a magazine page!

Nov 28 15 05:19 pm Link

Model

Zandra G

From the beginning it was meant to be portfolio feedback, because I wanted to know if any of them or a somewhat similar variation could be portfolio worthy, which I now realize is not the case!

But can I really start a retoucher account when I don't have a portfolio? what about those "4 good photos" required to get accepted? Looks like it's gonna take a while before I even have one image to put in that portfolio wink

Melissa Wenger wrote:
Maybe pick a reference photo so you can see a style you want to mimic, and see how far THAT retoucher goes with their work so you know when to stop.  I edit all my photos with some kind of reference up on my other monitor, or sometimes a magazine page!

As a matter of fact I did have a reference, but maybe I should've paid more attention or picked a better one, because I thought this image looked more "overdone" than mine:

https://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag288/zagaphotography/Originalbild_zps25yanpzy.jpg

Nov 28 15 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Zandra G wrote:
From the beginning it was meant to be portfolio feedback, because I wanted to know if any of them or a somewhat similar variation could be portfolio worthy, which I now realize is not the case!

But can I really start a retoucher account when I don't have a portfolio? what about those "4 good photos" required to get accepted? Looks like it's gonna take a while before I even have one image to put in that portfolio wink

As a matter of fact I did have a reference, but maybe I should've paid more attention or picked a better one, because I thought this image looked more "overdone" than mine:

https://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag288/zagaphotography/Originalbild_zps25yanpzy.jpg

Your reference image is lovely. The talented model has her finger extending over the corner of her mouth. You cut off much more of your mouth. Her background is very different also. Try the same shot with your mother, using a white wall, or grey. Move your hand to match that position. That model knew what she was doing.

Nov 28 15 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Zandra G wrote:
Hi,

I've been playing around a little with curves and vibrance on this image, but I don't know what settings are better. I uploaded four variations:

1:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39726316

2 (original):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39724710

3:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39726196

4:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39726305

Any constructive criticism would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Nov 28 15 07:24 pm Link

Model

Zandra G

LA StarShooter wrote:
Your reference image is lovely. The talented model has her finger extending over the corner of her mouth. You cut off much more of your mouth. Her background is very different also. Try the same shot with your mother, using a white wall, or grey. Move your hand to match that position. That model knew what she was doing.

Yeah, my pose is nohing like hers and I also have a different expression. The idea wasn't to make a copy but to try and resemble a makeup ad. I probably shouldn't have covered my mouth like that in any case though, I think this picture was actually taken while I was moving it, so maybe I should have picked another one to work on. Thanks for the feedback!

Nov 28 15 07:26 pm Link