This thread was locked on 2015-12-16 20:15:29
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Sexual Consent broken down

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MN Photography wrote:

I didn't say why I would feel unsafe with certain models, you made the immediate assumption that the only possible reason is that I am in favor of sexual assault.  A lot of different applications of consent have been discussed in this thread.  and withdrawing consent after the fact has been discussed.  But, that's where you went.

The remark was made that some photographers are not safe to shoot with based on forums postings.  That only applies to photographers?

If you feel like maybe one of the models in this thread would like.. I dunno... steal something from your home, thats valid, but would only be relevant....in a thread about being robbed. This thread is about consent to fuck people. And it applies to everyone, but again, the topic of the discussion is sort of important

Dec 13 15 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

JQuest wrote:

I researched this for you, the OP's video wasn't made by any college in the United States, it was made by Blue Seat Studios in Providence Rhode Island and released by the Thames Valley Police in Britain as part of their "Consent is everything program. Congrats on just blowing up your entire argument against consent.

Apparently Obama had nothing to do with it... go figure.

This thread is slowly crossing over into Soapbox territory.

Dec 13 15 12:19 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

What a visual! HAHAHA .... can I borrow that idea for a Click Hamilton photo shoot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_ … _suck_eggs

Did this expression originate along the same timeline as "Take a powder"?
My High School Geometry teacher talked like that.

Dec 13 15 12:19 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

If you feel like maybe one of the models in this thread would like.. I dunno... steal something from your home, thats valid, but would only be relevant....in a thread about being robbed. This thread is about consent to fuck people. And it applies to everyone, but again, the topic of the discussion is sort of important

Yes indeed.

Dec 13 15 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

People feel unsafe for a lot of reasons.  False accusations are not all that amusing either.

Dec 13 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

what do gender roles or rap music have to do with getting consent before you have sex with someone?

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

JQuest wrote:

I don''t think I've seen anyone sum up a more perfect reason for having affirmative consent than you just did.

Yes indeed.

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:
This absolutely correct , and now the Obama administration has  a bill to make college Affirmative Consent and Title IX
Accepted in our legal system of Law. This insane beyond my thinking , so step foot onto a college campus and you are no longer protected under out constitution that is a power grab to the max. I really people should do some research on this their own because apparently you don't know or understand what Affirmative Consent and Title IX is.

Um... Title IX is already THE LAW. It always was "accepted into our legal system of law" (whatever the hell that redundant phrasing means). And anyone who thinks that stepping onto a college campus means you are no longer are protected under the constitution has ZERO idea what they are talking about, because that's 100% false.

This is a perfect example of people not understanding what the discussion is actually about, while just repeating the crappy misinformation that they consume passively and without a shred of actual critical thinking.

Dec 13 15 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:

Problem is, it is a legal solution to a cultural problem.

It won't work.

ignoring men can be raped too..

which culture? 

rape has existed for as long as humans have existed.  In every nation.  So which culture is the problem and how do we fix it?

doesn't.... you know... getting consent, go towards fixing the problem.

Dec 13 15 12:27 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:
No. It's accurate. Women are physically weaker than men. Doesn't make them inferior, it is simply the nature of biology.
It is also a very pertinent fact when it comes to issues of consent and sexual relations. It is why some cultures (as already pointed out) taught "protect women", "don't hit a woman", etc. and the breakdown of those cultural norms, the destruction of the culture of honor and cultures of dignity as the norm becomes cultures of victimhood. Fed by people who don't want to recognize facts such as women being weaker than men.
If you are insulted by facts, you are going to have a hard time getting through life.

I am not insulted by facts.
As a man, you're going to have a hard time getting through life talking to any woman that doesn't believe in gender roles... and gender roles have nothing to do with consensual sex.

Dec 13 15 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

sooooooo if pheromones actually truly worked....should they be outlawed?

Dec 13 15 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Post hidden on Dec 13, 2015 02:55 pm
Reason: off-topic
Comments:
Irrelevant. Please stay on topic

Dec 13 15 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

JQuest wrote:

I researched this for you, the OP's video wasn't made by any college in the United States, it was made by Blue Seat Studios in Providence Rhode Island and released by the Thames Valley Police in Britain as part of their "Consent is everything program. Congrats on just blowing up your entire argument against consent.

Apparently Obama had nothing to do with it... go figure.

Your right  Blue Seat Studios in Providence Rhode Island  created this and released by the Thames Valley Police in Britain. But now Through the Violence Prevention Groups at our colleges are using it too... it's very political.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 … e-kitchens

Dec 13 15 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
I hosted Laura Unbound as a traveling model in San Diego in 2011.

For the record, I want to say that she was kind and polite, and she was a good guest to host. It was a pleasure to meet her and work with her. We made some nice pictures together.

At the end of her stay some guy drove down from Los Angeles to pick her up. It turned out to be Peter Claver. I went out to the curb where he was parked in his car to introduce myself and say hello. He zoomed off as I approached his car without a word. Maybe he hated me then too. I have no idea why he drove to the front of my house all the way from Los Angeles then back. That's a 4-5 hour drive. Whatever.

I'm not sure I'm looking for personal recommendations here. 

The subject sidetracked into making assumptions based on forums posts.  It seems to be wide open to make assumptions about photographers and I just added that I wouldn't necessarily feel safe around some models based on forums posts.  I didn't mention names, make hints or even say why I'd feel unsafe.  But, you know, boom, the assumption is made that I favor sexual assault.  A superficial value judgement based on nothing except maybe that I am a male photographer.  So, based on having just made what was basically a false accusation, I suggested that maybe it's possible to feel unsafe around people who make false accusations especially when we are talking about something as potentially volatile as bondage photography.

Dec 13 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Click Hamilton wrote:
For the record, I want to say that she was kind and polite, and she was a good guest to host. It was a pleasure to meet her and work with her. We made some nice pictures together.

At the end of her stay some guy drove down from Los Angeles to pick her up. It turned out to be Peter Claver. I went out to the curb where he was parked in his car to introduce myself and say hello. He zoomed off as I approached his car without a word. Maybe he hated me then too. I have no idea why he drove to the front of my house all the way from Los Angeles then back. That's a 4-5 hour drive. Whatever.

Thats very strange, did he come back to pick her up or was she already in the car.

Dec 13 15 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

MN Photography wrote:

The video was very general, covered a lot of ground and could be applied to a lot of situations.  The original motivation for creating the video is not really relevant.

And this thread has gone on pretty long without someone overtly mentioning partisan politics.  Unless it's your mission in life to go around getting threads locked, you should probably shitcan the political stuff.

It is political keep your head in the sand.

Dec 13 15 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:

It is political keep your head in the sand.

You know how the forums work.

Dec 13 15 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

MN Photography wrote:
I'm not sure I'm looking for personal recommendations here.

The subject sidetracked into making assumptions based on forums posts.  It seems to be wide open to make assumptions about photographers and I just added that I wouldn't necessarily feel safe around some models based on forums posts.  I didn't mention names, make hints or even say why I'd feel unsafe.  But, you know, boom, the assumption is made that I favor sexual assault.  A superficial value judgement based on nothing except maybe that I am a male photographer.  So, based on having just made what was basically a false accusation, I suggested that maybe it's possible to feel unsafe around people who make false accusations especially when we are talking about something as potentially volatile as bondage photography.

I know.

But Laura is a professional model and she was a good person to work with. I just didn't want to leave your post about her on a negative note without a rebuttal in her defense.

[I know she can defend herself. It's a simple common courtesy.]

Dec 13 15 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

I know.

But Laura is a professional model and she was a good person to work with. I just didn't want to leave your post about her on a negative note without a rebuttal in her defense.

[I know she can defend herself, but I'm old fashioned like that. It's a simple common courtesy.]

It's hypothetical situations based on forums posts.  Almost no one reads this crap anyway.

Dec 13 15 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Jules NYC wrote:
Did this expression originate along the same timeline as "Take a powder"?
My High School Geometry teacher talked like that.

I don't know. I think it's British.

I think I heard about egg-sucking dogs from Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard, but I've never heard about "teaching grandmother to suck eggs"

The visual of sucking in hard boiled eggs with bulging eyes made me laugh. Then I found out it meant sucking the liquid whites and yolks out of eggs through a pin hole.

Dec 13 15 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:

Your right  Blue Seat Studios in Providence Rhode Island  created this and released by the Thames Valley Police in Britain. But now Through the Violence Prevention Groups at our colleges are using it too... it's very political.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 … e-kitchens

Yes, you're quite correct we must remain aware and vigilant in regard to these groups that would seek to prevent/reduce violence on college campuses....wait... seriously wtf?!?

Dec 13 15 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

MN Photography wrote:
Almost no one reads this crap anyway.

We've made it to 10 pages and 381 posts.

Not bad at all smile

Jen B may have lost her faith in us, but I think it's been a good thread.

Lots of thoughts have been flushed out. Maybe we can all learn something from this open forum of ideas.

Dec 13 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

D a v i d s o n wrote:
Thats very strange, did he come back to pick her up or was she already in the car.

She was in the car. Maybe he didn't see me.

That's all I want to say about that. I prefer to stay on the subject of this thread.

Dec 13 15 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

JQuest wrote:

Yes, you're quite correct we must remain aware and vigilant in regard to these groups that would seek to prevent/reduce violence on college campuses....wait... seriously wtf?!?

they are sneaky.
evidently, it is a plot to get the US population to go down.  All because people believe consent is good.

Dec 13 15 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

JQuest wrote:

Not overly interested in reading the article, eh? Personally, I'm in favor of a system that includes due process to all parties involved, proper investigation, processes not hidden from the light, and, if a person is found guilty of rape, they are removed from society (you know, that kind of helps to "prevent/reduce violence on college campuses").

As to the original topic: while the video is cute, and takes a charming approach to the issuance of consent, the big concept (boundaries, respect for others, etc.) is something that is taught to most children by the age of five or six, and then reinforced over the years. Anyone in their late teens, that has not learned these things, will not likely have an epiphany of understanding upon watching the vid.

However, it makes people feel good that they did something proactive, for all the good reasons, showing their hearts are solidly in the right place, by either making the vid or showing it.

Dec 13 15 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:

D a v i d s o n wrote:

It would be strange if that's how it happened.  But.. as usual.. click is off in a fantasy land again.

When I arrived to pick up Laura Click was nowhere to be found.. I helped her gather her things inside the house and we went to the car.. as we were getting in he came by and said hello.  We shook hands and, and this part is important, I introduced myself and we exchanged pleasantries but we were in a rush and I needed to get back to LA.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand that I would want to make a 5-ish hour drive to pick up my girlfriend (now wife) who I hadn't seen in some months, and who happened to be on the same coast as me while we were both traveling for work.  I picked her up because I wanted to spend time with her in LA before we had to part ways again a few days later.

Dec 13 15 01:57 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh for fucks sake click, what exactly was the point in giving me a recommendation in one breath and telling idiotic lies about how my husband treated you poorly in the other. Seriously. I'd like to know. The three of us may not get along but neither of us have just blatantly made up shit about you, grow up.

Dec 13 15 02:07 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

And immediately after a guy says he's afraid of models lying, no less.

This threads incredible

Dec 13 15 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

JQuest wrote:

Consider the "publication" in question... biased, stilted right-wing agit-prop outlet founded by William F. Buckley Jr.

The "article" basically paints everyone interested in consent as a "gender activist" and anyone running afoul of consent as a poor helpless victimized "man" who runs to Mumzy and Dadsy's fancy lawyer to sue the school rather than man up and take responsibility for his actions. Because hey... America, where you can acquire the finest privilege-reinforcement money can buy.

Oh, was I being politically incorrect when I said "man up"? Maybe I should have said "legal-person up", because many people claiming to be "men" are apparently helpless victims of the evil government and the evil lawyers and the evil social justice warriors victimizing them left and right. Oh, poor poor legal-persons formerly known as "men", sob sob sniff sniff. roll

Dec 13 15 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Peter Claver wrote:
It would be strange if that's how it happened.  But.. as usual.. click is off in a fantasy land again.

When I arrived to pick up Laura Click was nowhere to be found.. I helped her gather her things inside the house and we went to the car.. as we were getting in he came by and said hello.  We shook hands and, and this part is important, I introduced myself and we exchanged pleasantries but we were in a rush and I needed to get back to LA.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand that I would want to make a 5-ish hour drive to pick up my girlfriend (now wife) who I hadn't seen in some months, and who happened to be on the same coast as me while we were both traveling for work.  I picked her up because I wanted to spend time with her in LA before we had to part ways again a few days later.

I was nowhere to be found and you shook hands with me? You walked inside my private home without me inviting you in?

OK, let me retract a little. I do now remember you telling me your name at the curb. That's how I suddenly discovered who was in front of my house. There was no mention at all of your name before you said it at the curb before you darted off. I knew your name previously from the forums. It was almost 5 years ago. You are correct. You told me your name before you rushed off. The room where I was hosting Laura is behind a wall, in the back, behind a yard gate and an entry door to that part of the house. Why were you inside that part of my house without me taking you there? The front door of the house remains locked. There is not direct access from there to my studio anyway. Did you come into the back portions of my house on your own or did Laura go out to the curb to meet you?

Dec 13 15 02:27 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

I was nowhere to be found and you shook hands with me? You walked inside my private home without me inviting you in?

OK, let me retract a little. I do now remember you telling me your name at the curb. That's how I suddenly discovered who was in front of my house. There was no mention at all of your name before you said it at the curb before you darted off. I knew your name from the forums. It was almost 5 years ago. You are correct. You told me your name before you rushed off. The room where I was hosting Laura is behind a wall, in the back, behind a yard gate and an entry door to that part of the house. Why were you inside that part of my house without me taking you there? The front door of the house remains locked. There is not direct access from there to my studio anyway. Did you come into the back portions of my house on your own or did Laura go out to the curb to meet you?

The way you feel about a stranger going into your home is the exact way a woman OR man feels when they agree or not to sexual advances.

Dec 13 15 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Jules NYC wrote:
The way you feel about a stranger going into your home is the exact way a woman OR man feels when they agree or not to sexual advances.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/boom.gif

Dec 13 15 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Jules NYC wrote:

I was raped! The Patron Saint of Slaves penetrated my inner sanctum without affirmative consent!

Now I feel the need to take a shower.

^^ Edited for clarity because of a surge of hostility: Yes, this is absurd to demonstrate the level of absurdity to which some arguments are taken. It was said tongue-in-cheek.

Dec 13 15 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:

OK, let me retract a little. I do now remember you telling me your name at the curb. That's how I suddenly discovered who was in front of my house. There was no mention at all of your name before you said it at the curb before you darted off. I knew your name from the forums. It was almost 5 years ago. You are correct. You told me your name before you rushed off. The room where I was hosting Laura is behind a wall, in the back, behind a yard gate and an entry door to that part of the house. Why were you inside that part of my house without me taking you there? The front door of the house remains locked. There is not direct access from there to my studio anyway. Did you come into the back portions of my house on your own or did Laura go out to the curb to meet you?

Because a guest in your home (my girlfriend, now wife) invited me back to come help collect her things and take them to my car.  We went through a side gate and a door in the side of the house, if I recall.  I didn't go anywhere near the front door and we were, at the time, quite civil.. you even contacted me afterwards and we had a nice discussion about an hypothetical next trip to San Diego (which never happened since I've never been back, though I've been near) and our polite differences in the forums.  So no.. I didn't hate you back then and you know that.  It was only until more of your character was revealed that I became distasteful of any contact with you.  And you know that too.

Dec 13 15 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Post hidden on Dec 13, 2015 02:57 pm
Reason: not helpful

Dec 13 15 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Moderator Warning!

Click Hamilton wrote:

She was in the car. Maybe he didn't see me.

That's all I want to say about that. I prefer to stay on the subject of this thread.

Please do that.

Dec 13 15 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

JQuest wrote:

In February 2014, RAINN, one of the largest rape victim advocacy groups submitted their recommendations to the DOJ White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault.  In their document they specifically expressed their concern over colleges handling cases, and recommend than rather than colleges adjudicating such cases internally, colleges should be working with law enforcement who should be the ones to handle such cases.

Speaking to college judicial boards RAINN states:

"...the simple fact is that these internal boards were designed to adjudicate charges like plagiarism, not violent felonies. The crime of rape just does not fit the capabilities of such boards. They often offer the worst of both worlds: they lack protections for the accused while often tormenting victims."  They go on to mention some ways colleges have been sued from both sides for their inability to handle such cases in a just manner.  *

I think victim advocacy groups like RAINN make some very good suggestions regarding some productive and appropriate steps colleges and universities can take to help reduce sexual assaults and to aid victim.  I agree with most of them. However, even they make it clear that college judiciary boards should not be handling such cases as they are, law enforcement should. 

Being serious about sexual assault does not mean we should be allowing, untrained, often biased college hearing boards handle such cases or the accused should be denied proper due process.

*Page 9.  https://rainn.org/images/03-2014/WH-Tas … ations.pdf

Dec 13 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Moderator Note!

Jules NYC wrote:

Boom is right! There's a post worth highlighting so it doesn't get missed.

Dec 13 15 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

I'm sorry Dean. That's not my particular field of endeavor. I was trying to use proper protocol.

Dec 13 15 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

I can't say I've read this whole thread, but I've read a good bit of the posts...so here's my reply:

I've been on the dating scene for a while.  Relationship here and there, but for the most part, a single lady meeting people.  There have been people that I have met, have dated, have been intimate with.  They were respectful.  When I said no, they took it as no.  And when there was intimacy, there was a still was still a yes involved.  Usually a 'are you sure' ' yes' response. If not, I was the initiator. The body cues where there. But the guys still thought to ask if it was the first time. Because that's what you do.  You're concerned about the other person.  You're concerned about a yes because you never know when a person is new to your life. It's checking. It's respect.

A couple years ago, I was out with a new person.  We were supposed to go out to eat. So I drove to his town, about 45 minutes away, because he was buying dinner. I showed up to his place, to carpool to a restaurant to eat, and he said he had actually bought dinner.  I should have denied, I should have walked away, but I didn't because I didn't want to be deemed crazy...you know, that term guys use to take away a woman's validity. So I figured it was fine.  I finished the rice, he grilled steaks.  And then we went for ice cream. When we came back, he mentioned a movie.  I told him I actually had plans with friends, he was more than welcome to join, but he insisted....just half a movie.  My friends weren't meeting til 10 anyway.  And I  didn't know what to say. Fine. Half a movie. We'll meet up afterwards.

So 20 minutes passed and he kissed me.  I kissed back reluctantly, because he was cool, but not my style. And then he had my hand. And I pulled away. But he was stronger. And then I was in his hallway, and he was asking me how bad I wanted it. And I told him I didn't. I wanted to go home. And soon he had me pinned on his bed.  Grinding against me. And he asked me when the last time I had sex was, and I told him, and that I wasn't interested.  And then suddenly I was the slut.  The one who had sex before, (though not recently) turning him down. That I was some affront to his sexuality. That my lack of interest made me a whore with bad taste. He slut shamed me while trying to rape me.  Because to him it was justified.  The fact that I had sex a few months before in a relationship meant I was open to business.  His for the taking.  That I wasn't allowed to say no.  ( and I don't mean to say that only sex within a relationship is okay.  Do what you want, when you want. Both parties within a sexual relationship get to set the rules)

That night, despite the fact that I fought myself free and made it out without being assaulted, has forever changed my mindset. No means no.  And no, without that being respected, makes me feel like I'm being assaulted all over again. Sex is my choice.  When is my choice.  I get to set the parameters of my sexual experiences.

It's simple guys. It really is.  It's not asking 50 questions, it's asking 'do you want to do this'. And if the response is a hesitant yes, it's asking' 'are you sure? If you don't want to, we can definitely cuddle' and actually meaning it. Because guilting a person, or blaming them for not being ready, isn't fair.  You're pressuring someone. And maybe I just don't get it, but I don't want to have sex with anymore if they're not an enthusiastic yes. If they're not sure, wait.  And if they're never going to be sure, that means reevaluating where that person is in their desire. If they need time, and you're willing to give it, wait. And if they're not, move on the next person. But don't pressure someone thinking that is your ticket.  That's your ticket to being resented.

I just wish guys would realize that sometimes that hesitant yes its a yes based on the idea of 'maybe this less will be less traumatic than if I outrightly refuse'. Because that guy that pinned me down, I thought about that.  If I have sex and kind of say yes, maybe it will hurt less if I said no." Thankfully I wore stilettos and could reach them to threaten them.

So I get it guys, you don't want to have to work for that outright yes, but please understand that sometimes that less than outright yes is pressure to women.  We're afraid to say no because we're afraid of the consequences.  If we mean yes, we'll say it, and we'll say it loudly.  So ask.  If it's not an enthusiastic yes, just deal.  Cuddle for the night.  Build trust.  And if it's meant to happen, it will, and with much more enjoyable vigor.

It's a simple 'are you sure'. That it's.  If you can't find the time to say that, then you should rethink your sexual activities.

Dec 13 15 05:15 pm Link