Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Falling Waters

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

For those who are fans of architecture in general and of Frank Lloyd Wright in particular, you might enjoy this 3D fly-through of Falling Waters.

Dec 20 15 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Great rendering, but it would have been much more enjoyable if the cuts and fades had been much further apart.

Dec 20 15 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

It's unfortunate that Lego retired the set to that house : (

Dec 20 15 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
For those who are fans of architecture in general and of Frank Lloyd Wright in particular, you might enjoy this 3D fly-through of Falling Waters.

Thank you for the link. When I first saw this house when I was in high school, I wanted to be the next Frank Lloyd Wright. Alas, my math skills weren't equal to the task. I understand that living in a Wright house is difficult because the houses have a distinctive personality all their own. The ranch-style homes that many live in today are direct descendants of the Wright prairie-style homes.

Dec 20 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
Thank you for the link. When I first saw this house when I was in high school, I wanted to be the next Frank Lloyd Wright. Alas, my math skills weren't equal to the task. I understand that living in a Wright house is difficult because the houses have a distinctive personality all their own. The ranch-style homes that many live in today are direct descendants of the Wright prairie-style homes.

The nice thing about this video is that you get to see Falling Waters from all angles, including the back side.

Falling Waters reportedly has some flaws & problems, like poor insulation and foundation problems, and I bet the wife would mention inadequate closet / storage space.  Even so, it is an impressive work of architecture art.  Living there probably means that you are locked into using the original windows, doors, and even furniture.

I'm not sure about needing the math skills -- that's a technical skill that can be hired, but the aesthetic vision is what's unique.  I think I heard a story that said that Frank had the architecture equivalent of writers block and procrastinated up until the morning of the afternoon presentation to the client.  Then he just became a whirlwind of activity, sketched out the overall concept in pencil, and presented it that very day.  He certainly didn't have detailed plans when he convinced the client to build it.

Dec 20 15 12:57 pm Link