Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > I would like a serious portfolio critique please

Photographer

Lionhearted Studio

Highland, California, US

Hello,

My Name is Nick and I am a Graphic Designer who has just been getting started in photography. Any constructive critiques to make my work better would be appreciated. Thank you, Here is a link to my work. https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3343980/viewall

Dec 24 15 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

This works...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151224/14/567c709a1395a.jpg

Albeit I'm not a fan of having the iris slammed into the corner of the eye...
Aeriously creates an illusion that the talent is cross-eyed...
The ONLY time this might work is if the talent has face turned away for the camera and is looking back into the lens...

Your avatar is not even at an amateur level... lose it...

In your BIO you state

I would be available to shoot weddings...

Do you have a clue on how incredibly difficult it is to be an effective event shooter?
You are not there yet, not even close...

Best Advice? Want to generate a revenue stream shooting weddings?
Then assist other wedding shooters in your market...

Please remember this is the most IMPORTANT day in a women's life...

All the best on your journey...

Dec 28 15 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Lionhearted Studio

Highland, California, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
This works...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151224/14/567c709a1395a.jpg

Albeit I'm not a fan of having the iris slammed into the corner of the eye...
Aeriously creates an illusion that the talent is cross-eyed...
The ONLY time this might work is if the talent has face turned away for the camera and is looking back into the lens...

Your avatar is not even at an amateur level... lose it...

In your BIO you state
Do you have a clue on how incredibly difficult it is to be an effective event shooter?
You are not there yet, not even close...

Best Advice? Want to generate a revenue stream shooting weddings?
Then assist other wedding shooters in your market...

Please remember this is the most IMPORTANT day in a women's life...

All the best on your journey...

Thomas,

Thank you for your honest critique. I really appreciate it. Yes, I do realize how difficult it is to shoot a wedding. It's funny because my first ever shoot was actually a wedding and I was so very nervous and running everywhere trying to get the best shots that I could. I had no clue then. I'll probably take that down until I'm ready.

As far as my Avatar goes, I thought that It needed to be a shot of myself. So I think I'll change it to one of my other photos. Any critiques or advice for any of my other images?

Thank you,
Nick

Dec 30 15 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Nice Avatar image choice...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/avatars/3/3/4/3/9/8/0/568460d126b12_m.jpg

Excellent synergy latent within...

All the best...

Dec 30 15 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Surreal-Images

Globe, Arizona, US

The Positive:
You have some nice subjects that you are working with.  Good potential.

The Negative:
Using selective coloring technique (black and white with only a few items colored in) in your port is a quick way to get labelled amateur.  It was popular about ten years ago but no serious photographer does this anymore.

Jan 01 16 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I agree - the one of you looking over your shoulders works great. Here is why I think it works. Your shoulders are facing one direction yet your head is turned to your left. This implies you were focused on something in front of you then something else appealing caught your attention - maybe it was a good looking fellow. The mysterious eyes (thanks to the hair) looks sexy and inviting to whoever caught your attention. But I do agree the eyes touching the corners is usually considered a bad idea.

Jan 04 16 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

The one of your fingers touching lips is not good. For one the fingers are not placed elegantly and they are pressing into your face. Secondly your facing expression  looks more like you are concerned/worried and is just plain awkward.

Jan 04 16 07:21 pm Link