Forums > General Industry > How to get gigs?

Model

Mije_MichelleJessica

San Francisco, California, US

Hi MM community!

I was wondering how I could find modeling jobs outside of Model Mayhem. What are your ideas and suggestions?

Jan 05 16 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Mije_MichelleJessica wrote:
Hi MM community!

I was wondering how I could find modeling jobs outside of Model Mayhem. What are your ideas and suggestions?

It depends on what kinds of modeling jobs you are interested in.  I line up more models via craigslist than here.  I know some people have good luck networking on Facebook. Some people line up shoots via meet ups.  Best of luck to you!

Jan 05 16 08:24 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Mije_MichelleJessica wrote:
Hi MM community!

Are you interested in commercial work? Working based on referrals has proven to be most useful for me. Shoot with a lot of different people in different genres (not crossing your personal boundaries of course). You'll often get referrals that way. 

Other than that, I know quite a few people find stuff on facebook, though I've found that more confusing and crazy than anything (I don't know how anyone manages that amount of email per day).

But, what type of modeling work are you looking for exactly? It's difficult to suggest anything specific without knowing that.

Jan 06 16 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Kyle DeWitt

Los Angeles, California, US

Depends on the kind of work you want; for commercial modeling projects, we cast from LA Casting 75% of the time, Models.com 20% of the time and MM only about 5%. That's a ballpark from 8 years of commercial shooting here in Los Angeles.

Jan 06 16 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Without being with a agency it may be difficult to find paid work.   While many in the amateur world pay they tend to pay for nudes.   Certainly not something you can do nor should you.   My suggestion is to get a basic acting reel together and a head shot and look around for extra work and try auditions for films or commercials.   See if your city has a acting hotline.   You are pretty but your height may be a barrier for fashion or commercial work and I don't think many shooters outside of MM are going to pay petite models to shoot clothed fashion.

Film students at schools usually need actors.   This may give you some on camera experience and you can also check out local theater auditions.  I would look into some dance and voice lessons.   Its very hard to make money consistently  as a freelance model and in some cases at all.   You can also try promotional modeling:   http://www.pushmodels.com/    I don't know if your city has much for promo work.

Jan 06 16 10:43 pm Link