Forums > General Industry > Looking to turn water black

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

I'm trying to find out if there is a product or technique to turning bath water a murky black without staining a model's skin. 

I've put a black cloth in a tub which works on the giving the illusion of black water, HOWEVER the water on the surface of the model's skin is still clear. 

I thought there has to be something I can add to a "milk bath" to color the water black.   Or is it done in photoshop?

I appreciate your help.

Jan 07 16 06:23 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Activated charcoal should work to turn water black, and it should rinse off pretty easily since it's a powder.

I also found this mommy blogger who says she used black food colouring in bathwater and it didn't stain, you might want to experiment before dunking your model though.

http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2012 … n-fun.html

Jan 07 16 06:40 am Link

Retoucher

ME_retouching

Atlanta, Georgia, US

McCormick makes black food coloring.

Jan 07 16 07:42 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking if a model is greased with oil, black water won't affect her greased model and her skin would still look clear.

Jan 07 16 07:59 am Link

Photographer

KOLMANS STUDIOS

Lüderitz, Karas, Namibia

http://www.dyofix.co.uk/pond-black-dye.html

This is what you want. I use it for shoots and no staining,even models with blond hair never complained.

Jan 07 16 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Try liquid tar!

... wait!

You want easily removable and not staining the model's skin?  yikes

Never mind!  evilgrin

Jan 07 16 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

udor wrote:
Try liquid tar!

... wait!

You want easily removable and not staining the model's skin?  yikes

Never mind!  evilgrin

Besides, liquid tar is VERY hot. (If we're talking about the same stuff). I think you should have put the "evil grin" with the liquid tar !
-Don

Jan 07 16 05:42 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:
Activated charcoal should work to turn water black, and it should rinse off pretty easily since it's a powder.

I also found this mommy blogger who says she used black food colouring in bathwater and it didn't stain, you might want to experiment before dunking your model though.

That is so cute!
*Makes mental note for happy fun time*

Jan 07 16 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

NO  !!  Having used activated charcoal many times in a medical setting, it does not clean off easily.  Stainless steel and porcelain can be cleaned, teeth will eventually come clean, skin gets rubbed off, nail beds will be black for weeks, hair may never get unstained, clothes will be permanently stained. If you get charcoal in tile grout, it will never come out.  Hospital laundry services put sheets through a thorough cleaning and decontamination process including HOT water and bleach, and they have a special cleaner for charcoal. In some facilities we had separate laundry bags for charcoal stained sheets so the rest of the laundry didn't get messed up.

Answer for black water is a black plastic sheet/tarp lining the tub.  There will still be water on top of the model's skin, but underneath will be black.

Jan 07 16 08:40 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Pictures of Life wrote:

NO  !!  Having used activated charcoal many times in a medical setting, it does not clean off easily.  Stainless steel and porcelain can be cleaned, teeth will eventually come clean, skin gets rubbed off, nail beds will be black for weeks, hair may never get unstained, clothes will be permanently stained. If you get charcoal in tile grout, it will never come out.  Hospital laundry services put sheets through a thorough cleaning and decontamination process including HOT water and bleach, and they have a special cleaner for charcoal. In some facilities we had separate laundry bags for charcoal stained sheets so the rest of the laundry didn't get messed up.

Answer for black water is a black plastic sheet/tarp lining the tub.  There will still be water on top of the model's skin, but underneath will be black.

OMG. *facepalms* This one didn't cross my mind until I read that. tongue

Jan 08 16 05:25 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Pictures of Life wrote:

This is surprising to me since when I searched there were a lot of links about activated charcoal baths as well as activated charcoal facial masks, and none of them mention anything about staining which I would think would be an important point to mention. I've done DIY charcoal face masks with no staining issues, perhaps the medical grade activated charcoal you have experience with has different properties from the type sold to regular consumers?

In any case experimenting with any of the methods advized before dunkig your model will probably be a good idea.

And OP has already address the possibility of using a black tarp to line the tub, she specifically stated she knew this was an option but was looking for a method to make the water on top of the model's skin appear black as well.

Jan 08 16 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

Thanks,  I will experiment on myself before submerging a model.

Jan 08 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

KOLMANS STUDIOS wrote:

This is what you want. I use it for shoots and no staining,even models with blond hair never complained.

This sounds like it would work best.  Thanks for your input.

Jan 08 16 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Thank you all for your advise,  I will give it a whirl.  Experimenting first.

Jan 08 16 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

KOLMANS STUDIOS wrote:

Does the product stain?
In concentrated form, dyes WILL stain hands and clothing, so it is always recommended that gloves should be worn when handling the products. At a recommended dilution rates no staining will occur.

Jan 08 16 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Hero Foto wrote:

Does the product stain?
In concentrated form, dyes WILL stain hands and clothing, so it is always recommended that gloves should be worn when handling the products. At a recommended dilution rates no staining will occur.

Thanks.  I did find this product when I did an internet search but hearing from someone who has used the product for this particular use makes me feel better about trying it. 

I really appreciate your help.

Jan 08 16 08:29 am Link

Photographer

KOLMANS STUDIOS

Lüderitz, Karas, Namibia

Well,in concentrate form any dye is relatively aggressive,and the usage of gloves is recommended. However, mixing in large volume does,nt really is causing problems. I shoot in a portable pool, of size 3 meters long by 2 meters and about 600 mm deep.

I work with blue and black dyes.

But like any product, testing it first is always recommended.

Jan 08 16 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Off topic, but is anyone else hearing Frank Zappa in their heads right now?

Jan 08 16 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Weasels Rip My Flesh...

Jan 08 16 05:32 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Hah, that's the first place my mind went, too.  And thanks to this thread, I found this groovy 1968 live performance video and this arrangement for clarinet, viola, and piano.

Jan 08 16 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Not until you mentioned it !

Jan 08 16 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jan 09 16 07:15 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Don Garrett wrote:

Besides, liquid tar is VERY hot. (If we're talking about the same stuff). I think you should have put the "evil grin" with the liquid tar !
-Don

OOoooppss!!! evilgrin    evilgrin   evilgrin

Jan 09 16 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Hero Foto wrote:
http://abduzeedo.com/beautiful-water-ef … otoshop-cc

Hmmmmm,  maybe the best way to go is in post editing.  I already have the water since the model is in a bath tub.  Thanks.

I did a quick, sloppy job with mask in levels and then another in saturation and then dialed down the density to see if I could achieve the blackened water lapping over her skin. It seemed to work. 

When I have a little more time, I will go back to my raw image and practice, practice, practice.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39941569

Jan 09 16 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

hey Mary, it was just an after thought, sometimes PS can help save the day when staging and props cannot be found or used without harm. I would like to see the end product smile

Jan 09 16 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Hero Foto wrote:
hey Mary, it was just an after thought, sometimes PS can help save the day when staging and props cannot be found or used without harm. I would like to see the end product smile

I just linked it to my latest post in forums.  Just the quick and somewhat sloppy fix just to see how it would look.

Jan 09 16 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

ME_retouching wrote:
McCormick makes black food coloring.

Do you have any idea what food coloring does to skin?

Jan 15 16 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Do you have any idea what food coloring does to skin?

Yes,  I once used food coloring as art of a Halloween costume.  I was a tinge of yellow for a week.  Lots of showers and scrubbing

Jan 19 16 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Olive Ursula

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jan 22 16 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

Niagara Falls, New York, US

I'm genuinely surprised that no one has mentioned this stuff.

http://getblk.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blk._%28water%29

Feb 01 16 03:29 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Shawn Wright Photo wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised that no one has mentioned this stuff.

http://getblk.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blk._%28water%29

I've drunk this! It tastes like regular water. And it is pretty opaquely black.

But how many bottles of it do you think would be needed to fill a tub? It's not cheap either...

Feb 01 16 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Just over photoshop and flatten color ...

Feb 01 16 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

I've noticed that when I shoot in infrared, water looks darker.  Not sure if that will work for what you need though.

Feb 01 16 10:14 pm Link