Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What CAMERA should I get????

Model

B00tylicious

Newark, New Jersey, US

I tried to get back to everyone, if I skipped you SORRY lol I need to go start this camera research. But Thanks again.

Jan 13 16 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

some basic lens/camera jargon for you, and what they mean...

focal length. every lens will have a couple numbers attached to it. the main one being the focal length. what that number tells you is how far the lens needs to be from the film/sensor to focus at infinity. so a 50mm lens will be that far from the focal plane to get an image sharp at infinity. and so forth, and so on.

min/max aperture. the aperture is the device inside the lens that opens and closes (like a shade), to give you the amount of light you want to be reaching the focal plane. it's a little weird (again, the logarithmic thing) in that the smaller the number, the more light actually passes through. if you read up on it, you'll see why. so a f1.4 aperture will let in twice as much light as a f2.8 aperture. and so forth, and so on...

so, you may see a lens that has the numbers 50mm, f1.4-f22. that means the focal length is 50mm, and the max aperture is f1.4, while the min aperture is f22.. 

the shutter speed determines how long the light will actually hit your film/sensor. those numbers are obvious, as in the slower speeds keep the shutter open longer, and the faster ones are opposite.

how these things interact is for you to learn. there are specific reasons why you'd want to shoot a shot at f 1.4 at /250 of a second, vs f 2.8 at 1/125 second. these are exactly the same exposures, but will have different results in depth of field, as well as shutter speed effects.

that's probably jumping too far ahead for you. that's why it would be best to get a good book, or go online and watch some tutorials.

have fun. photography is both fun math, and fun art. smile

whatever camera you get, make sure it has full manual overrides. i believe just about every one does now, but make sure it does. as you learn more (if you choose to), you'll be able to get exactly what you want out of your exposure, without having one of the automated modes deciding for you.

Jan 13 16 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

B00tylicious wrote:

Thanks and I absolutely agree

to which line? first, 2nd, or both?

Jan 13 16 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

B00tylicious wrote:

$45,000
o_O

eye figgered.

Jan 13 16 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

B00tylicious wrote:
Thank you so much for your lengthy advice but I am super new to this so not to sound photography illiterate....What exactly does a 'LENS' do for the camera/pictures? What difference does it make?

Are you serious?

Jan 14 16 12:54 am Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

Lenses make camera  pictures sharp...or if you put Vaseline on the lens your pictures will be hazy. .
Good lenses can get very, very expensive .  .

Jan 14 16 02:22 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Lovely Day Media wrote:

Are you serious?

My doubt them?

With a million, I mean BILLION cameras in phones, what the f-- does a lens matter?

Jan 14 16 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

ZMPHOT   wrote:
Lenses make camera  pictures sharp...or if you put Vaseline on the lens your pictures will be hazy. .
Good lenses can get very, very expensive .  .

Thats why I buy ones for Maxxums. Dirt cheap.

Jan 14 16 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
My doubt them?

With a million, I mean BILLION cameras in phones, what the f-- does a lens matter?

I don't know what this means. Somehow I don't think I want to know, either.

Jan 14 16 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Lovely Day Media wrote:

I don't know what this means. Somehow I don't think I want to know, either.

What once was a Profession [for some] is now childs play.
A billion? phones are cameras.

Whats a lens? What do they care?

Jan 16 16 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

B00tylicious wrote:
I tried to get back to everyone, if I skipped you SORRY lol I need to go start this camera research. But Thanks again.

you're in a perfect industry to network with photographers, trade some model time for some camera tips. Might even get someone to loan you a spare camera for some modelling time.

Jan 20 16 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Natural Means wrote:
trade some model time for some camera tips. Might even get someone to loan you a spare camera for some modelling time.

+1

Eventually you can take a look also at the mirrorless camera Panasonic G6.

Jan 21 16 12:20 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Has the mouse changed her name?

Jan 21 16 01:57 am Link