Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Hope this location is were to ask Digital Editing

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

I am looking at a dark room Core editing program. My question is what is the difference between the same Core programs. One says [ Dongle Version Download ] the other says [ Activation Version Down Load ] What is the difference between the two [2]?

Jan 21 16 03:41 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

That dongle thing is likely a USB security key that is needed to run the program.  I have two CAD programs that require the things to be either plugged into the USB port, or an inline dongle in the printer cable else the software doesn't work.

See this:  http://www.darkroomsoftware.com/how-to/ … ction-key/

Aladdin HASP and Sentinel HASP are a couple of the dongles out there to protect against piracy.

Jan 21 16 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

GRMACK wrote:
That dongle thing is likely a USB security key that is needed to run the program.  I have two CAD programs that require the things to be either plugged into the USB port, or an inline dongle in the printer cable else the software doesn't work.

See this:  http://www.darkroomsoftware.com/how-to/ … ction-key/

Aladdin HASP and Sentinel HASP are a couple of the dongles out there to protect against piracy.

Will the Dark Room Core work on a lap top were there is no wi-fi ?  Dongle or the Activation Version?

Jan 21 16 05:44 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

TerrysPhotocountry wrote:

Will the Dark Room Core work on a lap top were there is no wi-fi ?  Dongle or the Activation Version?

I don't know about Dark Room Core, just that when I see "Software with a dongle" it generally means it has a security HASP key/lock that is a bit of hardware to keep the software from being pirated.  Usually attached to very expensive programs too.  I was sort of surprised Adobe didn't try that HASP scheme in their software early on.

I know I can load my CAD programs onto any computers, just which one I use needs that dongle installed else it will not launch.  One is never connected to the internet at all and the software runs fine with the dongle installed.   Software I have resides on the computer and doesn't need any Wi-Fi or internet connection ever as they are hardwired to the machine (Embroidery machine and a printer, and neither is capable of Wi-Fi or networking and is cabled to the PC with the dongle.).  Don't know if it will run on a network setup as I never tried with the dongle in one running the software, and a remote running concurrently.  The printer dongle is sort of an issue as it only runs with a laser printer behind it in the printer cable, but likely an issue of the software controlling that too.  The upgrade is even more money than the intro version which was cheaper (and another damn dongle needed too!) so I'm still at version one for me.  Not much has changed enough for me to drop another $1,500.

If you lose or ruin the HASP key, they show no mercy either and may charge you full price again thinking you pirated or are pirating a copy.  With mine, I have to send them in the old key if I somehow wreck it to get a replacement for a price.  No key is very bad in their eye.  Pretty much locks down the serialized key to the software.

Also, I've run into problems with OS updates where the key becomes inop unless Aladdin or the software maker issues a HASP patch for that OS which they sometimes do.  Sometimes the software maker will use it to push you to upgrade, but I wait for the Aladdin update (if ever) and it works.  Now I just leave it on an old XP computer and it works there.

Good luck.

Jan 21 16 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I use a package printing software called Timestone, we have two licenses, the one with
the dongle must be on for the other to activate.

I think this is a similar setup as you.

Jan 21 16 08:22 pm Link