Forums > Critique > Help With My Website

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So for the past few months I have been getting way more business than I ever have.  However, when I check Google Analytics (a site where you can track how many people visit your website, how long the stay on your website on average, how many new people are visiting and how many recurring ones are, etc.) I'm noticing that the amount of people actually going to my website has gotten lower.  Furthermore, even though the percentage of people that do go to my website but leave and don't click on anything has gotten lower, it's still rather high.

Now I'm happy with my website and how it looks, however, I want to know what impressions you get when you visit it, both from the overall look and my work.  Feedback is appreciated.  Keep in mind the website has two different versions, for mobile phones and for computers.  Thanks!

Jan 22 16 11:25 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Like the look, clean and crisp, your homepage images are right on point  .  .  .  I guess my only concern was the time that the portfolio section took to load, may be why people are leaving so quickly  .  .  .  congrats on the success!!!

SOS

Jan 22 16 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Andreas

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

The home picture hooks you right in, the whole thing is about a commercial photographer. The second thing I notice is that the design of the site is a bit dated. Maybe you could refresh or switch to a wordpress template. When your portfolio loads it takes a little extra time to do so but that's acceptable. About your work I get kind of dissorianted at that point. On first impression you look like you are shooting models and fashion and stuff but inside your portfolio the guys and girls in there don't look like models but more like business or stock advertising portraits. It's also a good skill to have to shoot like this since you can make a lot of money doing it but for your website I would like the message to be more clear as to what you do.

So I don't know about the stats, well ignore the stats you don't need many people to see you, just the right ones wink With more content come more stats anyway.

Jan 22 16 11:46 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

sospix wrote:
Like the look, clean and crisp, your homepage images are right on point  .  .  .  I guess my only concern was the time that the portfolio section took to load, may be why people are leaving so quickly  .  .  .  congrats on the success!!!

SOS

Thanks!  Yeah Google Analitycs basically says that when people go to my website and it takes them to the homepage with the man and woman there, a lot of them don't even bother to click past that and go anywhere else.  However, people that do stay on the site on average stay for nearly 2 minutes which is decent.  It's crazy though because no matter what I do or how clear and easy I make things, almost every client asks me questions that are already blatantly answered on the website in detail lol.

How long did it take for you to load the port page by the way?  I used to use jpegs for the images but then i noticed a lot of weird pixelation.  I ended up browsing for answers and wix told me to use small png files to get rid of the problem and it actually did.

Jan 22 16 11:47 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thomas Andreas wrote:
The home picture hooks you right in, the whole thing is about a commercial photographer. The second thing I notice is that the design of the site is a bit dated. Maybe you could refresh or switch to a wordpress template. When your portfolio loads it takes a little extra time to do so but that's acceptable. About your work I get kind of dissorianted at that point. On first impression you look like you are shooting models and fashion and stuff but inside your portfolio the guys and girls in there don't look like models but more like business or stock advertising portraits. It's also a good skill to have to shoot like this since you can make a lot of money doing it but for your website I would like the message to be more clear as to what you do.

So I don't know about the stats, well ignore the stats you don't need many people to see you, just the right ones wink With more content come more stats anyway.

Thanks!  Yeah when i advertise my services I do so for headshots, portraits, and modeling/commercial stuff.  I originally had different sections for things but I had a hard time dictating what went where so I decided to simplify and just say "I do these things".  Not sure if that's working for me or not.  As for the look, it is pretty basic.  I made it myself and I like basic, minimal things.  It's just what I'm naturally attracted to cause in my mind I want the pictures to shine, not the website design.  However, I did try to spice it up before but it ended up looking like hell, so if I ever want to get fancy, I would probably have to hire someone. 

As for the stats, I just started keeping track in November.  Seeing it go from like 100 visits a day to 8 a day, but somehow getting more business, makes no sense.  But yeah you are right, at least I'm getting more clients so that's what's really important.  Thanks again!

EDIT: Just split my images into categories to make it simpler and more direct.  Hopefully that cut down on the loading time as well.

Jan 22 16 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Looks good, but it took a looooooooong time to load the images 2 or 3 minutes.
Maybe if you had low rez images appear first, and when clients click on them it loads the higher rez picture of the same?? idk...

Jan 23 16 11:27 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Blimey Studios wrote:
Looks good, but it took a looooooooong time to load the images 2 or 3 minutes.
Maybe if you had low rez images appear first, and when clients click on them it loads the higher rez picture of the same?? idk...

Thanks.  After thinking about things more I went in and divided my images into 2 sections.  Hopefully that will help with the loading time of the images since there will be less of them per page.  It will also help people see what I do more clearly.

Jan 24 16 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Hi Yajhil....I just checked out your website....looks Good..!!...Here is what I liked about it....nice BIG shots...so I can see the quality of your work, the shots look Good, so do the models, as does the coloring, etc...very stylish looking, I like that...!!...I like that you have your package prices, right up front...which are very competitive I would think, which is a good thing..!!...Looks clean and crisp...!!....For whatever reason, your modeling shots took longer to upload onto my computer, then the portrait shots...which just means....(as A-D-D as I can be...Haha)....I ended up only looking through half of the one set and all of the portrait set..!!...Which might be a reason for the short stay for some...but as others have said...it doesn't matter who looks, a lot or a few...it only depends on the right few looking, who want to book..!!...*All the Best*....Looks Good..!!

Jan 24 16 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Something else I just noticed. Your images are PNG files and the colour profiles are RGB. You should probably convert the colour profiles to sRGB. (I don't know if JPG's would load quicker....?)

Jan 24 16 07:26 am Link