Forums > Photography Talk > Color tone and color editing

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

http://www.quentinbacon.com/food-i/phot … artists_c1

I usually edit with lightroom mostly. For editing colors, I use only white balance, profile, and etc. I rarely use photoshop unless I have to edit for skin and brightness in detail.

Well, I still don't know how to create my own color tone with photoshop at all. The site that linked show some color edited pics. I have no idea how retoucher did that.

How photographers edit pics for color tone and color related with photoshop?

Feb 05 16 09:48 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Interesting site with the food photographs.

More to it than just colorizing.  The site photographer also uses a lot of darker backgrounds along with some soft side-lighting.  Both help draw your eye to the lighter subject (food or people) than having a lighter background where you look there first.

As to setting up your coloring,  might pay to use a ColorChecker Passport and generate a custom profile that will aid your camera.  That new profile can be called up in either LR or Adobe Camera RAW and applied, and then effects are enhanced later.  I find when I do it, my blues really become more enhanced off the Nikon D800E otherwise they are sort of pale by default.

Even if the profile made isn't perfect, you can refer to the ColorChecker coloration chart on x-rite and see where your black and whites should be in PS with its dropper tool.  I think they suggest a white patch on the Colorchecker chart as RGB 243 (+/-5) and the black around 52 (+/-5).  I often have to play with them a bit in PS Curves even if I apply the profile in Adobe Camera Raw or LR.

In Windows 10, MS introduced a new Photos viewer than has a Editor portion.  You can edit a select color and enhance it in there by up-and-down keyboards keys once you click on the specific color you want to enhance or not.  Works pretty neat over the older Photo Viewer in prior Windows versions that had zero editing options.

Still pays to get your shot close first (Light for subject, and pay attention to the background/surroundings more too!), then get your profiles in order before playing with any coloration attempts near the end, imho.

Good luck.

Feb 06 16 11:54 am Link

Photographer

JGC Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

skim165 wrote:
http://www.quentinbacon.com/food-i/phot … artists_c1

I usually edit with lightroom mostly. For editing colors, I use only white balance, profile, and etc. I rarely use photoshop unless I have to edit for skin and brightness in detail.

Well, I still don't know how to create my own color tone with photoshop at all. The site that linked show some color edited pics. I have no idea how retoucher did that.

How photographers edit pics for color tone and color related with photoshop?

There are a lot of different ways to create and edit color in Photoshop.
Selective color, gradient map, color balance, hue saturation, vibrance, levels, and curves to name a few.

Curves are the most powerful and perhaps most difficult to master. I think curves give the best and most precise results.
There are lost of tutorials on Youtube.  Phlearn is a good beginners page.
There is no easy way to master color. You just have to do 100000 times and it will become more natural.
Easily the most difficult aspect of editing and the most rewarding to begin to master.

You are wasting your time in lightroom...Been there...Done that

Feb 06 16 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I am a huge LR fan. That said, it's not a good program for any work that needs to be 'just so.'

I do almost all of my colour work with curves and masks, aside from some Camera Raw tweaks for Canon cameras and other things with a known tint.

If you want to get some really good practice colour correcting, I'll tell you the best exercise I've learned. Take a black and white photo, and use individual channels on the curves tool to make the colour pretty whacked out. Not solarized, but make sure there is some movement in the curve, instead of just being up or down. Then flatten and save the image. Make a whole bunch of these.

A few weeks later, once you've forgotten what you did, open them up again and return them to BW using nothing but the curves tool. If you want to make it a little easier, you can add a gradient to your image before you put in the colour shift.

Once you can knock these out pretty quickly, try doing the same thing with colour images.

I do these exercises in my classes every semester. It's maddening at first, but it's one of the best ways to understand how colour correction works. One of the reasons why it's so successful is because if you're having trouble with colour, it's probably because you don't yet know the difference between 'good' colour and 'accurate' colour.

A BW image is pretty cut and dry; if the numbers on the info panel line up, it's correct. If not, it isn't. That gives you a good way to learn, for instance, the difference between blue and cyan, when there is actually a right answer. Start off on colour images, and you're really correcting to what looks good, and not what is technically correct.

Feb 06 16 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Russell Tracy Photo

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I use a Color Checker Passport and Lightroom to create color profiles based on the color checker passport.

Feb 06 16 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

I am a photoshop guy so I can't talk about LR. In PS start with photo filters or hue sat in colorize or put a layer on color mode and play with opacity.

You can email me if you want for anything specific.

Feb 07 16 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

Box Top Photography wrote:
I am a photoshop guy so I can't talk about LR. In PS start with photo filters or hue sat in colorize or put a layer on color mode and play with opacity.

You can email me if you want for anything specific.

Ah thank you for helping. I would like to achieve for better color correction, creative color tones, and more. How can I contact you?

Feb 09 16 06:44 pm Link