Forums > Photography Talk > High DR Camera Recommendation?

Photographer

KModel Photography

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Looking for options for a (medium res) high dynamic range camera. 
By high dynamic range I mean something like 12EV+, in one exposure, in good light, raw of course.
So something that can shoot in sunlight without blowing and still get fairly good/useable shadow detail.
Manual settings.
Not too expensive or bulky, available second-hand.
By medium res, I mean something like 6-8Mpx+ (real pixels, not photosites).
Either a fixed ~50mm (equiv) lens or something that will take a 35-70mm F2.8 equiv.
So maybe something like a S5pro, but newer, maybe a bit better DR, less bulky.
Mainly shooting B&W, not too worried about high IQ, or very low distortion.  Just fairly good IQ.
SDcard would be nice.  Not worried about built-in flash or bells & whistles, but a hot shoe would be good.
Doesn't need very high ISO capability, 800 would be fine.
Doesn't need a high frame rate or video.
Besides the S5Pro and high end specialty cameras, what other options are there?
Thanks

Some DR articles:
http://www.camerastuffreview.com/camera … 0-camera-s
http://www.outdoorphotoacademy.com/comp … mic-range/
https://photographylife.com/nikon-vs-ca … amic-range

Feb 06 16 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

6-8 megaPixels would not be considered medium resolution (more like low), unless maybe you're talking about camera phones. For SLRs medium would be something akin to 12-20, with high being something like 24+
This is constantly changing of course.

Feb 06 16 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

It sounds like you're looking for one of the advantages of newer tech, without the cost associated with all the other advantages that newer tech comes with. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

Cameras aren't Subway sandwiches. Most of the tech comes together. If you want more DR, you're going to get more megapixels and/or higher ISO.

Or you can just buy the S5.

Feb 06 16 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Zack Zoll wrote:
If you want more DR, you're going to get more megapixels and/or higher ISO.

I'm not worried about getting more megapixs or a higher ISO, that's just the minimum ...
Want to cast the widest net smile

Feb 06 16 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Sony RX100, Sony A7 series, Nikon D8xx series

Feb 06 16 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

KModel Photography wrote:

I'm not worried about getting more megapixs or a higher ISO, that's just the minimum ...
Want to cast the widest net smile

You're actually casting the smallest net.

Here's what I'm currently shopping for:  a Leica 50mm Summilux with a 46mm filtet, beat up on the outside only. Seems easy, right? Nope. In reality, that's like the Holy Grail of used gear; people that buy  high-end gear either keep it minty(out of my price range), or run it into the ground(in my range, but beat up all over).

Will I get it? Sure, but only because I started shopping now, and I don't really need it until Fall. Even then, I can live without it. Eventually, one will show up somewhere for $1700.

But if I had to buy today, that lens doesn't exist. It seems like a simple enough request, but everybody else looking for that lens wants the same thing - which drives the price up, and you may as well buy the one in minty condition at that point.

Your camera is exactly the same thing. Sigma, old Fujis, and the Leica Monochrom are the only cameras I can think of that said, 'fuck resolution, we need more DR.' Everybody else added resolution, because they were basically there anyway.

If you troll eBay for a few months, you can find a Sigma in your range. But otherwise, you need to accept the fact that the camera you want doesn't exist.

Really what you're looking for is a Phase One back circa 2007, and those are all either minty and too expensive, or on their last legs by now. Holy Grails.

Feb 06 16 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Loma Linda, California, US

D600 and Nikkor 35-70mm F/2.8D, or Panasonic LX100

Feb 06 16 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Zack Zoll wrote:
.. you can find a Sigma ..

Trying to think of what Sigma you are referring to.

Feb 07 16 12:14 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Fuji Finepix S5Pro

Feb 07 16 02:54 am Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

R.EYE.R wrote:
Fuji Finepix S5Pro

been thinking of getting one of these just for skin tone and color rendition

Feb 07 16 03:59 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

-fpc- wrote:
been thinking of getting one of these just for skin tone and color rendition

I got one few years ago exactly because of that. Great combination with Zeiss glass.
Here is an example at ISO100, when in contrast I would shot with Canon at ISO800 (night, store window).
Ai-s 28/2 WO
https://www.3byk.org/imgposts/finepix5s/DSF4210.jpg

ZF35/2 WO
https://www.3byk.org/imgposts/zf35_2/DSF4224.jpg

Edit: If you get one, I would recommend avoiding Adobe's conversion like fire - ACR and Lightroom processing of S5Pro images is atrocious (it though atrocious by default anyway). Optimal is Fuji's own Hyperutility, and DxO does a rather good job. Lightzone is so-so. Haven't tried in CaptureOne myself.

Feb 07 16 05:30 am Link