Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Sir George Martin has died at 90 years old

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Many including myself consider Martin "the 5th Beatle" as much of their sound was definitely shaped and influenced by him.  I'm very much a Beatles fan, and thusly a fan of Martin's as well. Anyone have memories to share of George Martin and/or the Beatles?   I've been able to catch Paul McCartney in concert a few times, but that's it. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ … es-dies-90

Mar 08 16 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

just read that. he was--as articles state--a giant. he truly was the 5th beatle. r.i.p., sir george.

all you ever need to know of his influence on that band was where they were before he showed up, and where they went, after he was no longer part of their production team. phil spector was no gm, that was obvious.

Mar 08 16 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

RIP George.  The lads couldn't have done it without you.

Mar 08 16 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

He recognized the potential in the Greatest Band On Earth and made that potential a reality. Yes, credit is due to the engineers to a certain degree (especially Geoff Emerick's masterful work on Abbey Road), but it was Martin's skill and ingenuity that made it possible. I mean, it's highly unlikely that this thing could have been arranged and conducted by anyone else. Or that anyone else would have combined two different takes of the same song, played at different tempos and in different keys, to produce this. And, of course, there's all of this.

He also produced this and this, just a couple of many post-Beatles highlights.

RIP Sir George.

Mar 09 16 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

This is sad.  But he led a most wonderful life.   Not new but I found this You Tube video of him taking other people, some not actually singers and rerecording Beatle songs.  It's very appropriate for today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbSDcan7WWE

Godspeed Sir George.  You and the Beatles changed the world and together created the best band of musicians ever.

Mar 09 16 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Truly an icon of modern music, the enormous influence he exercised over the Beatles spread to EVERYBODY.

90 is a good age, he made his mark long ago.

Rest in Peace George.

Mar 09 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Mar 10 16 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Shadow Dancer wrote:
This is pretty cool:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/10-odd-j … artin.html

This is so cool.  I never thought of myself as being influenced by beatles because I am 49 and mostly was a child of the 80s rock.  When I was a kid I learned classical piano from my grandmother.  Around age 10 my brothers and sisters would go across the street and hang out with a hippie band.  We would try to imitate all kinds of bands by turning everything into an instrument.  The Beatles were always one of the hardest to imitate.  We used tons of cheap indian instruments we borrowed from another neighbour and self taught ourselves to play.  Until now I didn't know how much influence Sir George Martin played in my musical development.  I always just thought they were crazy for having so many strange sounds that were so hard to reproduce.  Big thanks to Sir George. 

I have studied the Beatles as all musicians had to in college but mostly their chord changes and fights and writing styles.   We didn't really study Sir George as much as he was side noted.

Mar 11 16 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

martin b wrote:

This is so cool.  I never thought of myself as being influenced by beatles because I am 49 and mostly was a child of the 80s rock.  When I was a kid I learned classical piano from my grandmother.  Around age 10 my brothers and sisters would go across the street and hang out with a hippie band.  We would try to imitate all kinds of bands by turning everything into an instrument.  The Beatles were always one of the hardest to imitate.  We used tons of cheap indian instruments we borrowed from another neighbour and self taught ourselves to play.  Until now I didn't know how much influence Sir George Martin played in my musical development.  I always just thought they were crazy for having so many strange sounds that were so hard to reproduce.  Big thanks to Sir George. 

I have studied the Beatles as all musicians had to in college but mostly their chord changes and fights and writing styles.   We didn't really study Sir George as much as he was side noted.

Hope those were BIG side notes. smile  If not for George, they may have been no Beatles.  I also believe if not for George, they may not have been as popular BECAUSE of George's ideas and mastery of mixing.  The Beatles were good.  George made them better. 

Even Brian Wilson thinks "God Only Knows" is better when George remixes it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVyCuc9_P8

You were an amazing man Sir George.

Mar 16 16 10:47 am Link