Forums > General Industry > Train Track Sessions are Illegal? UPDATED!

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
It's illegal because the railroad owns the right of way and you are trespassing. The reason there are so many deaths is not because people are trying to hurt themselves, it's because people are stupid.  Either because they don't watch for oncoming trains and get hit like that movie crew in Georgia or because they don't understand about the suction caused by a moving train. They walk close to the train because it's cool to do or it's a thrill and the suction carries them under the train.

Myth Busters 2006, Episode 66, Explored the train sucking theory. BUSTED

Apr 08 16 04:54 pm Link

Model

MAWG

Portland, Oregon, US

Stay off the mainlines. If you must shoot tracks...find a line that is out of service, abandoned or low volume traffic branch lines. There are plenty.

Apr 08 16 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

It's not as though approaching trains are noiseless. If someone gets hit by a train, they have no one to blame but themselves, (assuming they survive). Me and a friend used to watch trains go by, just one to two feet from our faces, from these cells inside a trestle. Once we discovered that they had put barriers to these cells, just as the train was approaching. We ran through the trestle at top speed, just ahead of the train, but are still here to tell the story. (it's been said here before - YOLO).
Don

Apr 08 16 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

JQuest wrote:
Myth Busters 2006, Episode 66, Explored the train sucking theory. BUSTED

Don't care... I've worked three train related deaths. One was a drunk who fell asleep on the tracks but the other two had witnesses that stated the victim was not laying on the tracks and did not "jump" into the moving train.  I read your link and they said the vortex caused by the moving train can knock someone over.  Either way the air movement caused the person to end up under the moving train... and then spread down the tracks for hundreds of feet.

Apr 09 16 10:04 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

To loose a life over such a cliche, unimaginative and tacky concept is beyond tragic.

Apr 10 16 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

PM_Photography

Westwood, Massachusetts, US

Just a reminder on how dangerous a photo shoot on railroad tracks is.

A Texas model was killed by a train while in the midst of a photo shoot sad
She saw a train coming and moved out of the way...she didn't see the other train coming.

Link:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas- … li=BBnbfcL

Mar 16 17 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Thankfully there are a LOT of abandoned rail lines down here in Louisiana, so, you can shoot on those and never be in fear of a train coming at you - many of them have long been disconnected from main lines, so, unless somebody airlifts a train in and drops it down on the tracks, you're pretty much gonna' be okay.

Mar 16 17 10:59 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Yes, playing on the tracks is very dangerous but not near as dangerous as playing on the freeway in your car!
Best to walk to your next shoot!!!
John

Mar 17 17 01:59 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Fotopia wrote:
To loose a life over such a cliche, unimaginative and tacky concept is beyond tragic.

+1000

Mar 17 17 06:57 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A 19 year old girl just died in Texas so some moron with camera could shoot one of the most tacky, unimaginative and pointless photos of all time.

A life needlessly lost due to gross stupidity. One can only hope for very aggressive prosecution.

When will this end?

Mar 17 17 07:10 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

"Tracks--making tracks" list https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/608453

Mar 17 17 07:33 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

I do have ask this, why the fuck would anyone want to take pics of a model walking along or inside of rail tracks! Where's the value in it, what does that kind of image say? Does it evoke some sort of longing for the 'good ole days' of railroads and the Wild West?

Almost as lame as cowboy hats and guns on chicks!

Mar 17 17 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Plain old rail road tracks hold no appeal to me, you're absolutely correct.  The ones I have found fascinating and did (and hope to do a lot more with) are the abandoned logging and industrial rail lines that are all over this state.  There are several over/under loop-around lines in tree canopied woods that look spectacular around here, several old switch yards that have derelict heavily rusted old tank cars and wooden flat cars trapped in them, things like that.  The ones I really like are the ones completely surrounded by our tree canopies.

Mar 17 17 10:42 am Link