Forums > Photography Talk > MMA action

Photographer

BlueWolf Photography

Prescott Valley, Arizona, US

hi all, i have a quick question.  I am shooting a MMa match i have a Nikon d810 with a tamron 24-70 2.8  lens, that should be good for the action right and should i shoot in manual mode or another mode?

thanks

Apr 09 16 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

BlueWolf Photography wrote:
hi all, i have a quick question.  I am shooting a MMa match i have a Nikon d810 with a tamron 24-70 2.8  lens, that should be good for the action right and should i shoot in manual mode or another mode?

thanks

24-70? how close will you be?
Settings, Manual  mode, with an aperture speed of at least 1/500th, to stop action. ISO depends on lighting of the octagon. a guess would be 1600-ISO to start and see how the pics turn out as you shoot.

Apr 09 16 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

You need something that is long enough to blur the wire/fence of the cage in front of you.

MANAUL mode!!!

Apr 09 16 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

The light levels will determine if your lens is fast enough aperture wise. The local venue where I've photographed events over the last few years has poor lighting and a lot of the time I am struggling at 1/500 F1.6 to 2.2 ISO 3200 / 6400. My 50mm F1.4 Nikkor is just about small enough on the front element to be up against the wire mesh of the cage without obstruction. The problem is keeping it centred in the 'heat of the action'. Much better in many ways is to be up a ladder looking down on the cage. Follow focus is more effective and a lens hood can be used BUT be aware of the effect of the cage moving on both you and your photos. One event I'd taken along a CSC in case I got a chance to compare it. When one bout got to the third round and I already had a lot of action from the previous 2 I swapped over to my Fuji. Within 20 seconds of the third round my metal lens hood was severely distorted, glasses a little twisted and my eyebrow needed attention from the medics at the end of the round. The delay in the EVF meant I did not see the 80kg category combatants coming straight at the part of the cage that I was up against.

Flash is not allowed during the bouts where I am. I have a second camera body with 24-70 on and flash for the arrivals and presentations. It also tends to be 'shoes off' before going into the ring so make sure your socks lean more to entertaining than embarrassing !.

It is one of the few times that I find Auto-ISO to be useful. Other settings that I use: Spot metering from the focus point with EV compensation of between -0.7 to 1.3; Manual shutter at least 1/500, ideally faster; aperture F1.4 to 2.2; AF-C focus mode; 'motordrive fast' to get a few consecutive frames when the need / opportunity arises.

https://www.willsphotoimaging.co.uk/Gallery-images/mma-cage-fight-photograph.jpg

Apr 10 16 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Joshua Morrison

Columbus, Ohio, US

24-70 should be okay but you might want to go with a prime lens. Definitely want to shoot in manual mode - you'll probably need to make adjustments through the first fight.

It's truly going to depend on the light, the floor of the ring and fighter skill. Usually the amateur fighters, seem to go a little fast, but older, more pro-level fighters take their time. Keep both eyes open.

I've shot MMA with a 35mm and a 50mm prime lens, mostly because the venue only had one light on above the ring.  I had to move around just to find a sweet spot. (Usually near a judges table seems to be the best)

https://i.imgur.com/goQqveU.jpg
35mm/ƒ/2.8/1/250s/ISO 6400

Apr 10 16 06:06 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

what is mma?

Apr 10 16 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Joshua Morrison

Columbus, Ohio, US

mixed martial arts

Apr 10 16 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

If it is in a well lit ring the lighting should be fairly even from corner to corner.  I would use Manual model.  Once you lock in a good exposure it shouldn't change throughout the night.  But be aware of possible light changes  - example: they might use different lights when they introduce the wrestlers - or say you turn around to shoot something in the audience.

If the light changes rapidly, like in a rock show, then Aperture mode is better for keeping up with the changing light.  Note: If you do shoot in Aperture mode, be sure to keep the focus/metering point on a similar area every shot - example always on a face. If the metering point is on white shirt in one frame and on dark pants the next frame, the exposures will be totally different.  Since things move so quickly in a fight, keeping the metering spot on a small area like a face is difficult.

Apr 10 16 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The venue will tell you what you need to bring.  Are you able to visit the location before the event?

I have shot all types of college sports for about 10 years now and the venue has always told me what to bring.  Finding out how close I can get (and where else I can go) tells me what lens to bring.  How's the lighting?  The lighting tells me how fast a lens to bring.  Sometimes even 2.8 isn't fast enough and I shoot with a prime.

I generally shoot in manual mode, this keeps the look of my images consistent.  If lighting is really wacky, in terms of color temps, I may shoot in RAW.  The list of variables is many.  I don't think there is a catch all.

Good luck to you and have fun with it.

Apr 15 16 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Keith Moody wrote:
The venue will tell you what you need to bring.

????????????????

I have never been at a venue or worked with a promoter where anyone on the staff would have any idea of being able to 'tell me what to bring'.

Experience tells you what you might need.

Apr 16 16 01:38 am Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

photoimager wrote:

????????????????

I have never been at a venue or worked with a promoter where anyone on the staff would have any idea of being able to 'tell me what to bring'.

Experience tells you what you might need.

I interpreted this as "you need to get off your bum and go to the venue. Look at the shooting angles/distances, lights, etc." Based on what you see, you will have been told what to bring. Perhaps the only allowable shooting position is in the rafters, in which case you might be talking a 300/2.8. Other times you might be stuck with a camera on a fixed position, so perhaps an option is an ultrawide. You can also take some test shots, so this is a scenario where a hairdresser mannequin head (<$100 on Amazon) on a folding light stand could make for a perfect "photo test dummy" that won't damage the fighting surface, and won't bore someone with "stand there for me, now, don't move, stay there, let me get some shots, stay there..."

Alternate translation: just asking us is bordering on asinine. Go read this classic: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/0 … -acronyms/

Apr 16 16 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

L O C U T U S wrote:
24-70? how close will you be?
Settings, Manual  mode, with an aperture speed of at least 1/500th, to stop action. ISO depends on lighting of the octagon. a guess would be 1600-ISO to start and see how the pics turn out as you shoot.

I've shot a few pseudo-professional MMA fights before...the last one being for the LFC...Lingerie Fighting Championships. Basically it's phony wrestling with women pretending to hate one another fighting in an octagon. I thought it was pretty stupid myself but hey, it got a lot of attendance and Pay Per View watchers so go figure.

Anyway, that ring was pretty well lit but I still was shooting at f 2.8, 1/500 and at 3200 ISO. As someone else mentioned, you'll be at ring side shooting through a chain link fence so be sure to prepare for that. Shooting it with a 24-70 won't cut it...at least not for 90% of your shots anyway.

If you want to do this the right way, shoot it with two camera bodies. One with a 70-200 and another with a 24-70. The 24-70 should be used for the wide shots or when they are 3 feet in front of you. Sometimes it's nice to get a wide shot with the action, to put the whole match into perspective. But for all the action shots, you need a larger lens to push through the fence. A 24-70 as your only lens will be a major mistake.

The only real time you'll be shooting with that 24-70 is for after the match or possibly before it, when they fighters enter the ring and when a winner is announced. You will most likely be inside the ring when that happens so I suggest having a flash handy too.

Apr 16 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Keith Moody wrote:
The venue will tell you what you need to bring.

OP don't rely on the venue to tell you what to bring. Visit the location if you can and see how easy it is to take photos ahead of the event.

Apr 16 16 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The word VENUE means LOCATION.  The location (and your access level) will tell you what you need to bring.  Are you stuck in the stands or are you next to the action?  Will you have great TV broadcast level lighting or does the lighting suck.  Answers to these questions will be answered at the location / venue.

If you've never shot at this location before, do some research, scout the location.  Best of luck to you.

Apr 16 16 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Keith Moody wrote:
The word VENUE means LOCATION.  The location (and your access level) will tell you what you need to bring.  Are you stuck in the stands or are you next to the action?  Will you have great TV broadcast level lighting or does the lighting suck.  Answers to these questions will be answered at the location / venue.

If you've never shot at this location before, do some research, scout the location.  Best of luck to you.

That's a very weird way of writing the message you are trying to get across. Most people refer to "the venue" as the people who work in that location, not the physical property itself. I understand what you are attempting to say but it's a very confusing way of saying it.

Apr 17 16 08:10 am Link