Forums > Photography Talk > Cali off duty co-worker collabs:laws, limitations?

Photographer

Markus Storzer Photo

Oakland, California, US

I have been talking with co-workers off and on about my interest in photography, even got inspired
for photo shoots with some.

In online small talk with a fellow photographer friend (located in Boston) about it I was pointed out
to be careful about what kind of photos I take and to verify that "it's ok" to take photos outside of work.

Tho I have no nude/erotic concepts on mind, I was still warned about that there could be possible
laws out there that would consider this art genre still as a form of sexual harrasment by state laws and regulations
but she wasn't sure about how it's seen in California.

An initial google search returned nothing - anyone with resources, facts, knowledge they can share?

-Markus

Apr 15 16 07:39 am Link

Photographer

VphotoNYC

New York, New York, US

I've photographed coworkers on several occasions but it has always been for professional portraits (corporate headshots, advertising material, etc). I do not approach coworkers to see if they want to work with me even though some of them are active in the industry (models, actors, MUAs, etc).

I've been approached on a few occasions but I always keep the conversations professional. Nothing wrong with having casual discussions and throwing out "reasonable" creative ideas but you need to know where to draw the line and ensure you're in compliance with HR policies at your place of employment.

Apr 15 16 08:06 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean it won't impact your day job.  Best to avoid complicating your life and livelihood for what is currently a non professional interest.

Apr 15 16 08:38 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Wrong post.  Never mind.

Apr 15 16 08:47 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I think he is warning you about two possible issues.  The first would be company policy as to what is appropriate conduct with a fellow employee.  The second could relate to sexual harassment.  While taking a portrait could be one thing, asking a fellow employee to pose in a bikini, etc, could be another.

Obviously, the latter would concern your employer as well particularly if they received a complaint.

Apr 15 16 09:40 am Link

Photographer

V-Flat Travis

Capitol Heights, Maryland, US

Markus Storzer Photo wrote:
I have been talking with co-workers off and on about my interest in photography, even got inspired
for photo shoots with some.

In online small talk with a fellow photographer friend (located in Boston) about it I was pointed out
to be careful about what kind of photos I take and to verify that "it's ok" to take photos outside of work.

Tho I have no nude/erotic concepts on mind, I was still warned about that there could be possible
laws out there that would consider this art genre still as a form of sexual harrasment by state laws and regulations
but she wasn't sure about how it's seen in California.

An initial google search returned nothing - anyone with resources, facts, knowledge they can share?

-Markus

1. If you think it could lead to legal trouble, don't do it or contact a lawyer before hand.

2. Why don't the two of you ask the head of the HR department together (in the room at the same time) to see if could be consider sexual harassment. Document the meeting.

3. Carefully manage the situation. Don't go around sharing the pictures. Don't talk about it in detail.

I've taken pictures of coworkers. Until now it never crossed my mind. Best of luck.

Apr 15 16 10:31 am Link