Forums > Critique > Asking for critique

Retoucher

Kamil Wojtowicz

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Hello,
I would like to ask for your critique. Any feedback - positive, negative or neutral - will be appreciated. I constantly develop my technique although I try to avoid to 'hi-end' my work, as I prefer natural looking style. Under every image there is a 'Location' section with a link to a post, where you may find original pictures, as I do not do 'befores' and 'afters'. Feel free to leave a comment. Below you can find my latest work. Thank you and have a good time!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160425/07/571e2df27f6da.jpg

Apr 26 16 08:48 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'm not a fan of collages as it leads me to too many images to sort through, and then I might dwell on the bad ones too long over the good ones.  One really good one should be enough.  For a photographer, a collage might work to show their shooting technique, but no so much for a retoucher who just needs one stunning image.

As far as a retoucher's port images, my own opinion is they should definitely show a "Before and After" to demonstrate their skill set.  If for nothing more than to eliminate what a good MUAH person might have already done to the image and maybe the less need for a retoucher to become involved; i.e. "Was it a good hair person (or none at all), or was it a better hair retoucher or artist who made the final image?" or "Could it have been a good shot going in prior to the retoucher even getting involved?"

Example would be this retoucher's "Before-and-Afters" that shows her skill and artistry level and not so much the MUAH person going into the shoot:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/2 … l#/A322396

Apr 26 16 09:43 am Link

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

I like your work!

Apr 26 16 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

e_magnan

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hi,
From a technical point of vue, I think it is perfect. Your images are sharp, the lighting is smooth and well balanced, and your color edit is nice.
The poses presented here are quite standard, but they still work well.
To be honest, the one I prefer is the last one (using mirrors), because it really creates something new, something that I had not seen before.

Apr 26 16 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

photography_by_matt

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I really like the composition and lighting of all of these. If I had to give some constructive feedback, the two horizontal images in the middle might look a little too processed to me...

Apr 27 16 07:18 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

For me the collage breaks down when you use the angled mirror images with blurring and alarmed(?) expressions. This is a tense, nervous look that doesn't work with the clean heavily processed images with relaxed expressions in other shots. It's like showing an episode of a Friends and cutting in some shots from a Cronenberg movie. Either be consistent and maintain tone, or have a reasonable progression, or have a point to the discontinuity, which there doesn't seem to be here. I'd cut the collage to the more standard shots, which are good of their type.

Apr 27 16 10:35 am Link

Retoucher

Kamil Wojtowicz

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Thank you for all the comments! I will definitely make some  "Before and After" pictures. When it comes to creating collages I just choose three most interesting pictures from samples given by photographers on 'Challenges, Contests, and Samples' forum. The pictures not necessarily must tell a uniform story, because as a retoucher I want to expose my consistency in retouching style across all the images that have been taken during the same 'Friends-meet-Cronenberg' session. I will consider adding some 'stand alone' retouches in my portfolio as well. Once again, thank you for taking time to give me your feedback. I will inform you about my progress. Have you any other suggestions to my retouching style judging by other collages/pictures in my portfolio? I'm still improving it.

Apr 27 16 11:50 am Link