Forums > Critique > Photos have been retouched and re uploaded!

Makeup Artist

beautybykatealece

Sacramento, California, US

I Listened to what you all said about how blown out the photos are and had them retouced (with photogs permission)
Now- Do they look better? Is my work showcased better now?
Referring to the most recent photoshoot pics outside.

Apr 27 16 12:05 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

beautybykatealece wrote:
I Listened to what you all said about how blown out the photos are and had them retouced (with photogs permission)
Now- Do they look better? Is my work showcased better now?
Referring to the most recent photoshoot pics outside.

It looks better but I recommend removing the before and after photos. Only use professional photos in your portfolio.

Apr 27 16 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Alannah The Stylist wrote:

It looks better but I recommend removing the before and after photos. Only use professional photos in your portfolio.

Really? As a civilian, I have to say I was *very* impressed by the before and afters. I'd be much more likely to want to work with the OP as a result. Maybe this isn't true of an experienced fashion photographer, but I think these give her an edge with finding the type of talent she's likely to have access to in her local market and get her tfp with with would-be beauty photographers, deals with local wedding shooters, etc.

Apr 28 16 06:44 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Anyway, the retouches are better.

You might want to consider getting a camera and shooting for yourself. Use something like this for the lighting:

http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/09/ … flash.html

...And find a used Fuji body cheaply - say an XE1 - and put a used manual focus lens on it, say about a 135mm. Fuji sensors are great for skin rendition and the 135mm will give you a nice perspective. I'd recommend a Pentax 135mm f3.5, either and M or A series. The lens might be $50-70 and the camera body $200-350. A Fuji also has the advantage of giving great jogs, so you wouldn't need to learn to work with raws. Make sure you update the XE1 firmware so that it has focus peaking.

In fact, if you have somewhere with good natural light then you won't need the flash - see the reflector with a hole trick here:

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/06/you-don … u-do-have/

Shoot in manual mode with exposure preview on and the Fuji will show you what the result will look like, so getting the exposure right is easy - you just change settings until the image looks the way you want.

Apr 28 16 07:39 am Link