Forums > Photography Talk > Best Classic Portrait Lens

Photographer

Tom Bryan

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

In addition to being a professional wedding and boudoir photographer, I’m also heavily involved in training emerging photographers in the industry. The one question I get asked the most is: “Which lens should I buy to attain the best classic portraits?”

I’m fortunate to have been a pro shooter for many years now and I’m always photographing people—no still life's, product shots, or architecture. To say that I always photograph people as a wedding and boudoir photographer may seem like an obvious statement, but it has a crucial impact for me and the lenses in which I choose to invest.

If I attach an 85mm lens to one of my full-frame DSLRs, hold it in portrait orientation, and then open both eyes and look through the viewfinder, I see that both of the images from each eye line up, almost like I'm not looking through a lens at all. Do the same with a 50mm lens and you’ll find that you can no longer merge the two images together. This happens because the 50mm lens is distorting its field of view.  This is the theory behind why the 85mm is the classic sweet spot focal length for portraits and why I select the 85mm as my go-to portrait lens.

An 85mm lens delivers a more accurate representation of what’s in front of you. This lens will compress the shot so that things that are slightly closer to the camera appear to be on the same plane as things that are slightly further away. This will create some really nice shallow depth of field effects. An 85mm lens won’t distort the subject in any way and will only compress the image, so whichever angle you decide to shoot your subject from you’re going to get pleasing results. For example, if somebody has a large nose and you photograph them with an 85mm lens, this won’t distort the nose but will rather give the impression of it being closer to the face and thus smaller. If you’d taken the same shot with a 50mm lens, you would need to be a lot more careful about the position you photograph your subject from.

What is deemed “right” by many professional photographers when taking a portrait is usually dictated by what the human eye sees. So if I can pop an 85mm on my camera and shoot away creating some really nice shallow depth of field effects without worrying about making people look ugly, then why on earth would I ever want anything else?

Bottom Line - If I could only take one lens to a portrait shoot, without hesitation it would be a 85mm lens.

What about you?

Tammy ♥

http://www.tammybryan.com

Apr 29 16 08:32 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Tom Bryan wrote:
If I attach an 85mm lens to one of my full-frame DSLRs, hold it in portrait orientation, and then open both eyes and look through the viewfinder, I see that both of the images from each eye line up, almost like I'm not looking through a lens at all. Do the same with a 50mm lens and you’ll find that you can no longer merge the two images together. This happens because the 50mm lens is distorting its field of view.  This is the theory behind why the 85mm is the classic sweet spot focal length for portraits and why I select the 85mm as my go-to portrait lens.

The result you got was dependent on viewfinder magnification. With a different camera you'd get a different match to your eye in fl.

And really, that's all focal length is - magnification. It doesn't have any effect on perspective at all - that comes purely from the distance you shoot. Shoot at 15m with a 200 and a 28 and perspective will be the same.

Apr 29 16 09:31 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

A lot seem to like the Nikon 135mm f/2 DC lens that's been around for 25 years for a head-hunter's portrait lens and for wedding use as you can control the bokeh somewhat.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … ikkor.html

An 85mm for me works for a half-body shot, but not so much for tighter head-shots.  That or grab the 70-200 f/2.8 zoom and deal with the zoom's weight.

Sigma may come up with an ART 135mm f/1.8 or f/2 from past readings which could be interesting.  Dunno.

Apr 29 16 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

If "Classic Portrait" means head shots, 50mm is way too short on full frame.  85mm is minimally acceptable.

105mm to 135mm is what I go for.

Apr 29 16 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Mark Salo wrote:
If "Classic Portrait" means head shots, 50mm is way too short on full frame.  85mm is minimally acceptable.

105mm to 135mm is what I go for.

That's the classic answer, and I agree, but I'd shy away from 135mm.

These "classic" lenses became classic because they did the job well.  In particular, these lenses minimize distortions on the face -- they avoid the "big nose" one gets with "normal" or wide angle lenses, and they avoid the unnatural flattening the longer (more telephoto) lenses yields.  And with enough space in the studio, you can still get a full body shot done with an 85mm lens.

Apr 29 16 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

prefer the 90mm summicron or 105mm nikkor for head and shoulders or wider. 135mm for headshots. really don't mind the 135-180 range for most headshot work. but then, for environmental portraits, 35mm-21mm range works great. it can have a more intimate feel.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090606/20/4a2b35a2b9d7b.jpg

Apr 29 16 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Looknsee Photography wrote:
That's the classic answer, and I agree, but I'd shy away from 135mm.

These "classic" lenses became classic because they did the job well.

#

That's hardly the whole story.

Back when the classic fl's were evolved, shooting at 400iso was edgy stuff. So people needed bright lenses, and a fast 200mm would have been very heavy and expensive.

400 bitd is the equivalent of, what, 3200 now? And quite a few people use crop factor - I do - which cuts lens weight enormously for the same equivalent fl.  So shooting with a reasonably  fast 200mm equivalent lens is cheap for me, doesn't weigh me down - I use an old Pentax 135mm that weighs less than a modern kit zoom - and costs damn all. And the perspective, for a close head shot, is much better than a 100mm equivalent. A 100mm isn't really very different to an 85mm and the close headshots in the recent Nikon 85mm thread demonstrated how awful a perspective it gives for close headshots.

Apr 29 16 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

That's funny, my eyes are 105mm, have been since I was a child.

Apr 29 16 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

thiswayup wrote:

#

That's hardly the whole story.

Back when the classic fl's were evolved, shooting at 400iso was edgy stuff. So people needed bright lenses, and a fast 200mm would have been very heavy and expensive.

400 bitd is the equivalent of, what, 3200 now? And quite a few people use crop factor - I do - which cuts lens weight enormously for the same equivalent fl.  So shooting with a reasonably  fast 200mm equivalent lens is cheap for me, doesn't weigh me down - I use an old Pentax 135mm that weighs less than a modern kit zoom - and costs damn all. And the perspective, for a close head shot, is much better than a 100mm equivalent. A 100mm isn't really very different to an 85mm and the close headshots in the recent Nikon 85mm thread demonstrated how awful a perspective it gives for close headshots.

Speaking only for myself, the advantage of an 85 over a 135 is that if you only own a lens or two, it is always a good choice, even if it is not always the best choice.

If I could only own a couple lenses(and I'm not far from that), one of them would have to be an 85-100.

Apr 29 16 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

don't laugh,

when I was shooting a ton of headshots with my F3HP my goto lens was the
100 2.8 e series, it didn't focus very close, but was sharp as I wanted.

Apr 29 16 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

35mm = was using my Contax/Zeiss 135mm f/2.8, now it's Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8.
6x7cm = was using Mamiya Sekor 250mm f/4.5.
4X5 = was using Nikkor 360mm T f/8.

May be I should say headshots, rather than portraits.

Apr 29 16 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Keep in mind that only a true 85 mm lens has the perspective of an 85 mm lens.   Shorter lenses on subframe sensors may have the same angle of acceptance as an 85 mm lens on a full frame sensor,  but only an 85 mm lens gives what is considered the perfect portrait perspective.   Perspective and angle of acceptance are totally different.

Apr 29 16 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I've shot portraits using 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, and 135mm. 135 is good for pure head-shots, 100mm for head-and-shoulders, 85mm for a shot up to half-length, and 50mm for full-length portraits. Yes, a portrait can be full-length - it's a mistake to think it can't.

Apr 30 16 01:24 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Nikkor 180mm F2.8D

Apr 30 16 02:04 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Zack Zoll wrote:

Speaking only for myself, the advantage of an 85 over a 135 is that if you only own a lens or two, it is always a good choice, even if it is not always the best choice.

If I could only own a couple lenses(and I'm not far from that), one of them would have to be an 85-100.

Yes, but that has to depend on the range you take portraits at, the type of places you work, etc. For headshots, outdoors, my one lens would be at least 200mm. And I can now see why some pro fashion shooters use that fl or longer even for whole body shots - you get much more freedom in positioning the hands without perspective swelling. If I was shooting fashion professionally, I'd try renting one of the long, very well stabilized Fuji zooms.

Apr 30 16 03:20 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Personality Imaging wrote:
Keep in mind that only a true 85 mm lens has the perspective of an 85 mm lens.   Shorter lenses on subframe sensors may have the same angle of acceptance as an 85 mm lens on a full frame sensor,  but only an 85 mm lens gives what is considered the perfect portrait perspective.   Perspective and angle of acceptance are totally different.

Sorry: completely wrong. No focal length has a perspective; perspective is completely a matter of distance. Which means that the perspective for 85 will be different at torso and c lose headshot range - it doesn't have a single perspective, let alone a perfect one. Again, no lens does.

Read this:

https://www.mhohner.de/newsitem2/myths/8

..You don't even have to understand the text; the text images alone show that fl and perspective aren't related.

And go look at the close headshots in the Nikon 85mm thread - the perspective is only perfect if you like giant noses with swollen tips.

Apr 30 16 03:30 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

L O C U T U S wrote:
Nikkor 180mm F2.8D

..That's exactly the lens that the missing equivalent of now most bothers me with Fuji. A Fuji version would be, what, around a 120mm f2?

Apr 30 16 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My favorite is the Canon 100mm @ f2.8

I wish you well

Apr 30 16 05:35 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Tom Bryan wrote:
Bottom Line - If I could only take one lens to a portrait shoot, without hesitation it would be a 85mm lens.

What about you?

Me too. Absolutely.

A 50mm on 24x36 (full frame) displays ~47° - this is roughly the angle normal people with two eyes see sharp and unblurred. (The total angle of sight is much bigger but that's what you see sharp and unblurred.)

A 85mm on 24x36 displays ~27° - this is roughly the part you really percieve without moving the eyeballs. It's the angle you concentrate on.

The depth of field is perfect. The maximum aperture - 1:2.0, 1:1.8, 1:1.4 - is big enough to determine what parts of the picture shall be sharp and which parts shall be out of focus. You can reduce it on the eye level. You can extend it from the tip of the nose to the hairs of the back part of the head.

Apr 30 16 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

thiswayup wrote:

Yes, but that has to depend on the range you take portraits at, the type of places you work, etc. For headshots, outdoors, my one lens would be at least 200mm. And I can now see why some pro fashion shooters use that fl or longer even for whole body shots - you get much more freedom in positioning the hands without perspective swelling. If I was shooting fashion professionally, I'd try renting one of the long, very well stabilized Fuji zooms.

I don't disagree. There was a time when I took different photos, and I used a 135 pretty much whenever I had room to. In those days, I lusted after Nikon's 200 f/2 like nobody's business.

But now my priorities are different, both in terms of the images I make and in how much stuff I want to own and carry around. Right now my digital kit is a 20, 50, and a Minolta 100 macro - and I barely use the high magnification option, so one day that macro will be a 90 and a close up filter or extension tube, since those things take up very little room in the bag.

I'm always trying to pare down and simplify, so I tend to prefer gear that does double duty. But back in the days when I had a backpack full of gear, I would have agreed that the best portrait lens was the longest one that you had room to use.

Apr 30 16 05:57 am Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

L O C U T U S wrote:
Nikkor 180mm F2.8D

have one and love it

I used to hump the 200/2 to shoots and its results are unrivaled really
but it was like taking a child out, way to cumbersome

tried the 70-200 route and its rendering was too clinical for me
the 180 has more "character"....whatever that means...

my shoot kit is usually 50/ 1.4....85/1.4....and 180/2.8

though once in a while I substitute 135/2 for the 180..

Apr 30 16 06:11 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Zack Zoll wrote:
I'm always trying to pare down and simplify, so I tend to prefer gear that does double duty. But back in the days when I had a backpack full of gear, I would have agreed that the best portrait lens was the longest one that you had room to use.

I think the cheapest counts as well. And I love built-in lens hoods, because I'm less likely to lose them. And if I'm shooting unstablized then I like the centre of gravity closer to the body rather than further.

And I agree with what you said - in another thread - or at least implied - which is that minimizing element numbers helps, all things being equal, with contrast. I love the Pentax SMC A 135 = 200 on Fuji that I'm using. Coatings seem to be up to modern standards and the lens has only 5 elements. If I could buy the same thing with autofocus for my Fuji, I would. I'm sure it doesn't have edge resolution in the same astounding class as the Fuji 90mm with its 11 elements, but edge resolution is something I'm willing to compromise on a portrait tele. Standards and wide angles are another matter - with wides I *usually* put the subject on the edge.

Minolta seem to be another very good bet for classic lenses with good colour rendering. Obviously Contax are too - and I hear a lot bout Rollei HFT lenses. But Pentax A and M or Minoltas seem to be the best bargains.

Apr 30 16 06:40 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

-fpc- wrote:

have one and love it

I used to hump the 200/2 to shoots and its results are unrivaled really
but it was like taking a child out, way to cumbersome

That's 3kg? Maybe you could attach a drone to one and have it hover, holding the weight of the lens all the time. It's an astonishing lens and it must have hurt to give it up.

One of the best 85 equivalents I've seen is the one on the Sigma DP3's:

http://luminous-landscape.com/articleIm … hoto16.jpg

Apr 30 16 06:49 am Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

thiswayup wrote:

That's 3kg? Maybe you could attach a drone to one and have it hover, holding the weight of the lens all the time. It's an astonishing lens and it must have hurt to give it up.

One of the best 85 equivalents I've seen is the one on the Sigma DP3's:

http://luminous-landscape.com/articleIm … hoto16.jpg

I do miss it from time to time
but the weight/ bulk was too much
plus I needed a couple of extra $$

Apr 30 16 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

thiswayup wrote:

I think the cheapest counts as well. And I love built-in lens hoods, because I'm less likely to lose them. And if I'm shooting unstablized then I like the centre of gravity closer to the body rather than further.

And I agree with what you said - in another thread - or at least implied - which is that minimizing element numbers helps, all things being equal, with contrast. I love the Pentax SMC A 135 = 200 on Fuji that I'm using. Coatings seem to be up to modern standards and the lens has only 5 elements. If I could buy the same thing with autofocus for my Fuji, I would. I'm sure it doesn't have edge resolution in the same astounding class as the Fuji 90mm with its 11 elements, but edge resolution is something I'm willing to compromise on a portrait tele. Standards and wide angles are another matter - with wides I *usually* put the subject on the edge.

Minolta seem to be another very good bet for classic lenses with good colour rendering. Obviously Contax are too - and I hear a lot bout Rollei HFT lenses. But Pentax A and M or Minoltas seem to be the best bargains.

I agree, especially with the last point. As a mirrorless user, I love the fact that I can use just about anything.

Not every Pentax lens is a winner, but very few of them suck - especially considering what they go for. Minolta MD lenses are much the same:  there are a few stinkers, but you usually get your value and them some.

I did like the Nikon AiS lenses a lot as well, aside from the wide angles. That is probably the most consistent non-German, non-cine lens line ever, as far as contrast, colour, and rendering. Almost everything matches.

But they seem to have gone up in price in recent years, and now I don't like them quite as much. They're still a good product, but there are better options for the price now.

Olympus lenses are still cheap, and they're almost all good - especially the wides. Just stay away from the zooms and you've got yourself a winner.

Apr 30 16 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

When I first opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about what lens creates the best look for you, instead of what focal length do you like best for portrait work.  I saw "classic" and thought - "oh that means old and I shoot with a lot of old stuff".  I guess I was wrong. 

I'm an old fashioned dedicated film shooter and work with an 8 x 10 camera, sheet film, and lenses that are many times over 100 years old.  I don't really know much of anything about digital equipment and don't have an interest in learning.  However, I'm not a "film is the only way to go" kind of photographer.  Digital is just another way to create images and it's every bit as good as the old fashioned way of doing things.

All that being said, when I'm looking at shooting a portrait, I'm much more concerned with what the final look of the image I want to create will be.  That standard focal length lens I use is 360 mm which as I understand it, is something close to a little more than a 50 mm lens with a 35mm camera.   This focal length is or two reasons.  First is that there is a huge amount of old lenses of that size on the market for me to choose from and second, if I put a 480 mm lens on my camera, the bellows isn't long enough for it.  So, I'm kind of stuck with that focal length of lens.  I've also shot portrait type of images with lenses down to about 240 mm which is a wide angle lens.  I've got probably 10 lenses that I use mostly and do portrait work with all of them.  The look of each is very different from each other - so different that you can see it from all the way across the room. 

So, my question for you digital shooters (I am really interested in this) is whether you shoot with a Nikon, a Canon, a Leica, a Hassleblad, or whatever lens, how much difference is there actually in the final image if the focal lengths are all the same?  I actually am curious about this and I'm not trying to say anything negative about digital equipment.

Apr 30 16 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Dan Dozer wrote:
So, my question for you digital shooters (I am really interested in this) is whether you shoot with a Nikon, a Canon, a Leica, a Hassleblad, or whatever lens, how much difference is there actually in the final image if the focal lengths are all the same?  I actually am curious about this and I'm not trying to say anything negative about digital equipment.

You're asking how similar images are if people use the same fl on different cameras? Or the same *equivalent* fl on different digital cameras?

They can be extremely different. In fact, my experience - which is I admit is probably freakishly atypical - is that sensors can vary more than colour films. Take a look at the protraits in the link I gave re. the Sigma DP3 above and then look the first shot in my portrait. See the huge difference in skin rendering? That's the difference between a Sigma Foveon and a Fuji X-Trans of the same size and it dwarfs the difference between, say, Astia and Velvia. The Fuji sensor is biased to pick up what you might call the flattering variation in skin and the Sigma is effectively biased against doing so, because its red detectors are below the blue and the green. So the Sigma is better at picking up contrast information about skin flaws than it is at rendering what you want it to render. You can change the overall colour balance, but unless you shoot in excellent light skin from Foveon looks terrible because the wrong detail was biased for.

Apr 30 16 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I have actually found the opposite. Because digital is an electronic process, rather than chemical, there are many fewer variables. I find that even the cheapest DSLR will usually yield more accurate colour out of camera than a good, non-custom lab on unedited prints.

That's not to say that I like it better, or that there aren't other advantages or disadvantages. But for the average consumer, it is much more consistent.

For a pro, that consistency might be bad. I took home a Samsung camera some years back thinking I was going to keep it, and it was consistently bright and cartoony. But it wasn't awful, and it was the same every time.

Since most of us cannot afford to own a stable of cameras from different brands as easily as we can afford to try different films, that means that the colour cast of the lenses has a much greater impact with digital as well, assuming you care about that sort of thing.

You mentioned Nikon. Well, many Nikon lenses today are magenta. Nikon sensors are usually green, so that works out well. But if you shot film and didn't like the colour(Fuji was usually green as well), you could try Kodak, and maybe you'd like it better. With digital, most of us pretty much have what we have, so we rely more heavily on our lenses.

When I was using my 135, it was a Schneider. I loved the cold blue and cyan tones. That lens was a big deal for me because of the colour. If I used film - especially if I jumped between brands a lot - that wouldn't be such a big deal.

So for a certain type of person, digital giveth and taketh away. It's much easier to find a good lens for you these days, but is much harder to find exactly the right lens/camera combination. By the time you do, you might be ready for a new camera.

Apr 30 16 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Zack Zoll wrote:
I have actually found the opposite. Because digital is an electronic process, rather than chemical, there are many fewer variables.

...Not when a Sigma Foveon is involved, I promise you. The three layer sensor interacts with the subject and light in a horribly complex fashion - detail and dr drop faster in the red channel than anywhere else, MUCH faster, while at the same time noise kicks in there. Obviously this effect is dependent on the colour of light as well. And what the exact rules are for working our when the Giant Magenta Blotches will appear, I don't know.

But that may be a unique case. And the Sigma Merrill's can produce amazingly beautiful results in some circumstances. I think rather than talking about chemical vs digital you need to talk about chemical vs bayer sensor and foveon sensor once the Merrill is involved, because it is *that* different.

that means that the colour cast of the lenses has a much greater impact with digital as well, assuming you care about that sort of thing.

...Because although it is easy to correct overall balance, the lens will bias what detail is picked up originally??? I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

May 01 16 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

This is interesting and just what I was curious about.  From what you guys are saying, there might be just as many variables between camera types regarding sensors as there are between lenses.  I can see when shooting color, how that might be a very big concern.  For me when shooting black and white film, my thinking regarding color is converted into thinking about contrast and how I may want to address different colors with filters.  It normally doesn't matter to me if my model has purple hair or not (and I have shot with purple hair before) because in my final B&W images you can't tell one way or another.  It's only if I physically add color back into my B&W prints that a different viewpoint of my images happens.

May 01 16 07:02 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Dan Dozer wrote:
This is interesting and just what I was curious about.  From what you guys are saying, there might be just as many variables between camera types regarding sensors as there are between lenses.

I think that Zack is right and that I've experienced two extreme cases. It's something like this:

sigma.............................................................nikon,olympus,panasonic,sony,canon......fuji

Nikon to Canon is like, oh, Mediterranean Europe. Fuji might be the UK or Germany. Then with Sigma you're in Japan. Pre-Perry Japan. Or modern North Korea. 90% of the difference is in that one outlier, and most of the remaining difference is in the next. I'm probably the only person here crazy enough to have jumped between them, and most of the digital world's population lives in the Med'.

May 01 16 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I believe I was unclear when I said there were more variables with a chemical process than an electronic one.

What I mean is that if you have hard water, live at high altitudes, or have the temperature a little too high or low, the results change. When using a refreshed colour developing system like in a commercial lab, the age and amount of use of the chemicals matters too.

If your colour processor is a few degrees off, or if the processing motors aren't moving at exactly the right speed, you end up with different contrast and colour. You can do that on purpose(push/pull processing), and a good lab tech can further use these techniques to correct some problems.

When I ran a photo lab, I noticed that whenever I changed or refreshed my C-41 developer, the first few rolls were a bit more contrasty; then it would level off for a couple hundred rolls, until the chems got old and started to lose contrast.

The difference really wasn't huge, and could be easily corrected by running those first few rolls at a slightly lower temperature. But that was a pain in the ass back in the days when I had to have twenty rolls developed and printed by noon, and another thirty or forty by the end of the day. So what I did was run disposable cameras and pharmacy store film right after changing chems, and then run the higher-end stuff after I gave them a chance to 'break in.'

There may be as many or more variables in how you design and build a sensor, but for the most part it will function exactly the same for every picture on the same settings, so long as it's above freezing and below 100 degrees or so. Even then, the shot to shot variance is much less than simply developing a roll of film a few degrees too warm.

That's why I say that digital is a lot more consistent. There are still a lot of cameras that suck, but if they take a good photo in a certain situation, they will take a good photo most every time you're in that situation.

It's not like the film days when you have to find 'your brand' of film, or you wanted a certain tech to develop and print for you. But on the flip side, it's also not like you can pop a different roll of film in the camera and suddenly like it more.

May 01 16 07:58 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Zack Zoll wrote:
I believe I was unclear when I said there were more variables with a chemical process than an electronic one.

What I mean is that if you have hard water, live at high altitudes, or have the temperature a little too high or low, the results change. When using a refreshed colour developing system like in a commercial lab, the age and amount of use of the chemicals matters too.

If your colour processor is a few degrees off, or if the processing motors aren't moving at exactly the right speed, you end up with different contrast and colour. You can do that on purpose(push/pull processing), and a good lab tech can further use these techniques to correct some problems.

Actually, sensor performance will be somewhat temperature dependent - more heat, more noise. And people ignore raw development, especially demosaicing  - this can have a big effect. Lightroom often destroys fine detail in Fuji images.

But no, not as complex or subtle as hard water, developer age, etc.

But on the flip side, it's also not like you can pop a different roll of film in the camera and suddenly like it more.

Fuji film simulations actually are good enough so that you might feel that way, especially once you tweak shadow and highlight tone. They're much deeper than any of the post processing simulations I've tried. And I think most serious Fuji shooters would pay several hundred dollars to get the XPro2's new Acros simulation:

http://fujifilm-x.com/en/x-stories/the- … ion-acros/

I also experienced a big change in my b&w work when I went from merely desaturing to decomposing and doing grain merges - with red as a base when I take people shots. And again when I started using GMIC. Using those two options really did give me the equivalent of new films.

..Again, I'm almost certainly a freak outlier. I'm shooting Fuji, and I'm from a tech industry background, with a physics degree and experience in computer graphics systems, so I'm going to apply post processing very differently to most people. All the same, a lot of Fuji X shooters do use the film simulations as a big part of their shooting.

May 01 16 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

you have to realize some photographers may not see much difference between lenses other than focal length and speed.

once, i had a gold dot dagor. it was a very interesting lens - the quality was unique, no doubt. very different from using 1/2 the optical head of a symmar. didn't use much color film with it to take advantage of the color. it was a goerz american dagor and not the zeiss jena nor the kern.

of course, for roll film, the 105mm f2.5 nikkor is a classic and very fine old formula. the nikon and large format lenses have changed much over the years. the changes for the leica summicron series is more interesting to me. of course that means only the 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lengths. the color has been fairly consistent, but he contrast and edges have been greatly improved.

May 01 16 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I usually shoot portraits between 80-150mm in focal length. So any of the 85/105/135 options would be great. For convenience I have used a 70-200mm for a long time.

May 01 16 10:25 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

For head shots my favorite lens on a FX DSLR has become the 70-200 f4.
I have a 70 and 105 on other bodies, but most of the time my favorite, best image, was shot
with the 70-200 at between 120 and 160mm

May 01 16 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Dan Dozer wrote:
When I first opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about what lens creates the best look for you, instead of what focal length do you like best for portrait work.  I saw "classic" and thought - "oh that means old and I shoot with a lot of old stuff".  I guess I was wrong. 

I'm an old fashioned dedicated film shooter and work with an 8 x 10 camera, sheet film, and lenses that are many times over 100 years old.  I don't really know much of anything about digital equipment and don't have an interest in learning.  However, I'm not a "film is the only way to go" kind of photographer.  Digital is just another way to create images and it's every bit as good as the old fashioned way of doing things.

All that being said, when I'm looking at shooting a portrait, I'm much more concerned with what the final look of the image I want to create will be.  That standard focal length lens I use is 360 mm which as I understand it, is something close to a little more than a 50 mm lens with a 35mm camera.   This focal length is or two reasons.  First is that there is a huge amount of old lenses of that size on the market for me to choose from and second, if I put a 480 mm lens on my camera, the bellows isn't long enough for it.  So, I'm kind of stuck with that focal length of lens.  I've also shot portrait type of images with lenses down to about 240 mm which is a wide angle lens.  I've got probably 10 lenses that I use mostly and do portrait work with all of them.  The look of each is very different from each other - so different that you can see it from all the way across the room. 

Dan,

Funny you should ask that.  Over the last four decades I've used 35mm's, Nikon's, Canon's, Leica's and Olympus.  While I shot a lot of Tri-X, I also shot a lot of K-14 and during the last decade I've been doing my own scanning, medium level desk top scanner and I can say that optically the old Canon FD glass beats them all.  I will add that the NIKON D800 opens up a whole new photographic world, but old NIKKOR's don't cut it.

May 01 16 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

There really is no one 'perfect' portrait lens, but a classic 85 f1.4 is certainly a widely used focal length. If I had to pick an 'ultimate' portrait lens within Nikon's lineup I'd say either the 135 f2.0 DC or the 200 f2 VR. I have even used my 135 DC on my Fuji to great effect.

May 02 16 02:02 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Robb Mann wrote:
There really is no one 'perfect' portrait lens

I think the idea that there is comes from the myth that focal lengths rather than distances create perspective. One you understand that this isn't true then it's obvious that a lens that may work for a head and shoulders can require you to get too close for a chin-to-forehead shot, distorting the face.

The problems with using too long a focal length otoh having to stand to faraway to communicate with the model when you want wider shots. So possibly there *is* a lot to be said for using a good zoom.

, but a classic 85 f1.4 is certainly a widely used focal length. If I had to pick an 'ultimate' portrait lens within Nikon's lineup I'd say either the 135 f2.0 DC or the 200 f2 VR. I have even used my 135 DC on my Fuji to great effect.

I find a 135mm on Fuji is an excellent tool for close headshots. But I think I'll try the cheap 50-230 Fuji zoom. Because it is cheap, it has OIS, it's light, and it covers 80-200mm equivalent in one lens. And the MTF results wouldn't raise eyebrows for a Canon L series lens. If I hate it then I'll just sell it for what I paid.

May 02 16 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

As someone who has done a lot of classic portrait work, since digital, I have only used one lens for my portrait work.  My 24-70 2.8 when I am using my Canon. 

The OP really didn't specify the TYPE of classic portrait.  That can be anything from a head and shoulders to a full length and even a few extra people IN the portrait. 

I also do a lot of headshots and yes, I will agree, the 85 is perhaps the best for that.  Sure it's long enough to correct any distortion but it's also not too long so that I am too far away from  my subject.   I don't really use an 85 for that at the moment.  I use my 18-55 Fuji lens on my X-T1 at 55mm.  I will probably buy the Fuji 56mm soon but zoomed out to 55, my 18-55 delivers fantastics results every time.

May 02 16 04:53 am Link