Forums > Critique > Getting back into the game.. Help please :)

Photographer

B Wild Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Okay, i had a lot going on...

So i put my camera down, i didn't pick it back up for a whole year. So similarly to another thread on here, i has uploaded some work i never got round to uploading on here, though it is old, it hasn't been seen.
I just wondered what people thought of my work thus far? Is my portfolio interesting? Are there any photos people feel let it down.
I am trying to make the best situation out of what i have to work with. I need images that will encourage other professionals to want to work with me, so ill be able to keep broadening and updating my portfolio.

Thanks everyone smile

Any tips anyone has please let me know smile

May 04 16 06:13 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

I can't tell what a lot of the photographs are of, but I get a general impression that you need therapeutic intervention.

...I like it. It's not blurry for the sake of imitating someone who has done cool blurry shots but because you're showing people things that are blurry to you and which they might not want to look at too closely.

>>> Any tips anyone has please let me know

I think if your digital "printing" skill improved the increased tonal range would come with increased possibilities. Maybe this will help:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/09/02/t … -tonality/

You might also be one of the few people who should be shooting with a Sigma Merrill - they're a pita for a lot of work but they're the cheapest way of  getting medium format quality and a lot of the pain goes if you're shooting in mono.

May 04 16 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

As far as this web site is aimed toward photography of models, much of your work does not seem to showcase models. More of an abstract style of photography aimed at clients to hang on thier wall.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140827/19/53fe93731ebe1_m.jpg
This might be close to a modeling photo, but the subject is quite small so it is hard to tell much plus it is the back of the subject so not much detail to show what the subject looks like either.
[So it looks like you can work on either side of the lens as this image shows.]

I wish you well

May 04 16 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

B Wild Photography

thiswayup wrote:
I can't tell what a lot of the photographs are of, but I get a general impression that you need therapeutic intervention.

...I like it. It's not blurry for the sake of imitating someone who has done cool blurry shots but because you're showing people things that are blurry to you and which they might not want to look at too closely.

>>> Any tips anyone has please let me know

I think if your digital "printing" skill improved the increased tonal range would come with increased possibilities. Maybe this will help:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/09/02/t … -tonality/

You might also be one of the few people who should be shooting with a Sigma Merrill - they're a pita for a lot of work but they're the cheapest way of  getting medium format quality and a lot of the pain goes if you're shooting in mono.

Thank you for a wonderful critique, i think part of the reason my photographs can seem a little 'off' is that i have to edit them on a Macbook Air, getting the screen calibration right is nearly impossible... Therefor when I'm editing photographs, I'm never 100% sure if they will look exactly correct. I also intentionally made some of the photographs rather dark, it forces the subject to look towards the higher contrasted areas... and nothing can convey dark better than, well, 'dark' lol smile
I have also been having a snoop at the Sigmas, is it the 48MP sensor you think would help? Or would a Canon 5D Mk 3 do the job, though it has around 20MP, its still full frame though....

I think i have just confused myself aha, but thank you for your help smile

May 05 16 08:49 am Link

Photographer

B Wild Photography

Lee_Photography wrote:
As far as this web site is aimed toward photography of models, much of your work does not seem to showcase models. More of an abstract style of photography aimed at clients to hang on thier wall.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140827/19/53fe93731ebe1_m.jpg
This might be close to a modeling photo, but the subject is quite small so it is hard to tell much plus it is the back of the subject so not much detail to show what the subject looks like either.
[So it looks like you can work on either side of the lens as this image shows.]

I wish you well

I think what you mean is that my photographs are conceptual and this website is more leant towards commercial... My aim is to broaden my horizons and some more 'commercial' type image to my portfolio... I think i will always be an artist at heart, but look at Helmut Newton, though his photographs where fashion/editorial, they were also fine art. I want to be able to mix the two in the way he has.... Hopefully i will find some willing and creative models to work with soon smile I will post another forum critique when i have updated my portfolio with some more 'model'esque' photographs.
Thank you for your help smile

P.S Im not trying to compare myself to Helmut Newton, i just wish i could aha smile

May 05 16 09:00 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

B Wild Photography wrote:
I have also been having a snoop at the Sigmas, is it the 48MP sensor you think would help? Or would a Canon 5D Mk 3 do the job, though it has around 20MP, its still full frame though....

Full frame is a meaningless term at the best or times. Comparing a bayer sensor and a foveon, it has no relevance. In good light, shooting deliberately, a Sigma DP2 will make a 5Diii's images look like a bad joke - a 100% crop from the Sigma will literally match the 5Diii's whole image.

Otoh, if I was told to shoot a wedding to the satisfication of the bride or face death, then I'd go for the 5Diii every time. Think of them as being as unalike as an Olympic target pistol and an AK47. Or a fruit carving knife and an ax. It looks to me like you're on of the few people who need the fruit carving knife more, which is good, because it's cheaper!

May 05 16 09:28 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

B Wild Photography wrote:
P.S Im not trying to compare myself to Helmut Newton, i just wish i could aha smile

I compare myself to Helmut all the time. I say "Hey, I'm not as good, but I'm still alive, so I can get better."

May 05 16 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I can't comment on your portfolio but I will say that the link to your website doesn't work.

May 05 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

thiswayup wrote:

I compare myself to Helmut all the time. I say "Hey, I'm not as good, but I'm still alive, so I can get better."

LOL

May 05 16 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Garry k wrote:

LOL

I agree.

May 05 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Your work is interesting and thoughtful but this isn't a place where the average model would appreciate it.   You need to find a muse or two.   Perhaps a few friends.   If I were a model my first thought might be.   How could the photos help me.   A better option for you beyond a few friends might be fellow artists or art school models.

May 05 16 11:38 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Your work is interesting and thoughtful but this isn't a place where the average model would appreciate it.   You need to find a muse or two.   Perhaps a few friends.   If I were a model my first thought might be.   How could the photos help me.   A better option for you beyond a few friends might be fellow artists or art school models.

Another option would be self-shooting with a wifi controlled camera. A GM1 would equal a crop size slr for studio work and the wifi app allows complete control and viewing on an android phone, I think. They're cheap on ebay too. My Fuji has a similar app.

May 05 16 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

B Wild Photography

Mark Salo wrote:
I can't comment on your portfolio but I will say that the link to your website doesn't work.

Yes, as i said i havent been taking photographs for a while, i neglected my website also... It will be up and running again soon though... Just need a bit more content ahah..
Thank you
Have a lovely day smile

May 06 16 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

B Wild Photography

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Thank you and i appreciate your advice, I'm aware my work isn't your usual "Model Mayhem" style, but i was just hoping i might be able to make a few connections. Its a big place, i was hoping there might be one or two willing creatives.
You are correct, i used to have a friend that i loved photographing, she lives a little far from me currently but your right, i should start shooting with her again, i just need to keep shooting, then I'm bound to improve and hopefully my style will come to an area thats a little more versatile.
Thank you
Hope your having a good day smile

May 06 16 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

B Wild Photography

thiswayup wrote:

Another option would be self-shooting with a wifi controlled camera. A GM1 would equal a crop size slr for studio work and the wifi app allows complete control and viewing on an android phone, I think. They're cheap on ebay too. My Fuji has a similar app.

Yeah i do shoot both sides aha, its tricky business and usually involves me balancing something on something in the position i plan to be in to focus and get my composition, then use a wireless shutter rerelease to snap them, usually throwing it out of the shot before the 10 second delay goes off haha... It is literally like a performance/exercise routine.

Thanks for all you help by the way smile

May 06 16 03:39 pm Link