Forums > Model Colloquy > Cover Letter and Resume

Photographer

AlternativeLens

Grosse Ile, Michigan, US

Hi Mayhemites!

Between being busy with other kinds of photography, building my studio, and my life in general, other than to find some models & MUA's for various projects I haven't used MM in years.  Sad to say I actually forgot all about this cool place until this morning when I received a 'Reply' to a very old message to a model on MM.  She was asking if I had some paid work for her as she needs money to buy clothes to update her portfolio at an upcoming shoot (I'm guessing it's one of those photography/model events...  I don't know).

I won't identify who the model was, but I'll share her message to me: "Hello, I know it's been a long time since we last spoke but I was wondering if you were still interested in working with me on a paid shoot. I'm trying to get some paid work this weekend and next week before my trip to ******* for the ********* shoot. I leave Thrsday night the 12th so I have almost a week to get some cash.

I really want to update my portfolio with new wardrobe since my selection is so limited, so I need an income to be able to buy what I need (and hopefully before my trip so I have something new to wear).

My availability is very flexible and I'm looking to start as soon as possible.".

Okay, so she's looking for paid work.  That's a good thing.  I didn't see anything that indicated that she really wanted my work in her portfolio, or anything to tell me why I should hire her over other models, but overlooking that I checked out her bio.....

Her bio was a confrontational tirade about who owns the final images and a couple of ground rules about working with her.  Nothing about what makes her a good model to work with, nothing to say what she brings to the table that might set her apart from the thousands of other models out there interested in paid work...  Nothing.  So I checked out her portfolio....

Her port only had a few shots by a few photographers, and I'm sorry to say that even though she's a decent looking girl, the unflattering photos did her no favors (and in one of them it actually made her teeth look yellow), so I didn't see anything about how her 'look' that might add to my portfolio, nor did I see much experience at all.  Her poses were nothing special, and the fact she does nude is really not a selling point any more since so many people do nudes these days.

So why am I posting this?  Because when we IM someone for work, whether it's a model to a photographer, or a photographer to a MUA or model, the IM should be treated like a cover letter to a resume.  It should make the recipient feel like learning more about you, and how working with you would be a positive and mutually beneficial experience.  Whether the paid work you're looking for is a modeling gig here and there for extra cash, or a full time day job somewhere, you should convey a positive character and pull people in.

Your bio should be your resume.  Who you are.  Why you're here.  What you bring to the table and how it will make for a better shoot if we hired you over someone else....

And your portfolio should feature photos that make you look good, whether they are just well done head shots, or wild and mysterious fantasy style photos, they should show you in the best possible way, because that is what we (the photographers) are paying for when we hire you.

Now some of you only have a few really good shots because you haven't had the opportunity to work with any really great photographers (not saying I am one, I'm just making a point here), and that's totally understandable, but if that's all you have, and some of them are several years old, and you don't bring something really special to the table, you might want to consider accepting some TF work until your portfolio sells you.

Last of all, if you turn down a TF offer from a photographer you may find that you missed out on a larger opportunity.  In the case of this particular model she had responded to an IM I sent her years ago about a TF shoot that she politely turned down.  No harm, no foul, but what she missed out on was the fact that that particular shoot involved 2 MUA's, a hair stylist, a wardrobe person, 2 other very good photographers, a clothing-line seller looking to feature their clothes on the models, a custom chopper builder wanting models on his bikes for his website, and in a unique setting where it is incredibly difficult to get permission to shoot in.  This shoot led to paid work for a couple of the other models, along with some great stuff for their portfolios.  Far better than anything this model had.

But that's neither here nor there.  The real purpose of this post is to remind everyone: photographers, MUA's, models....  That your IM's are your cover letter, your bio is your resume, and your portfolio is a representation of you and your experience.  Personally I'm not looking for work, neither on MM or on my personal website, so this doesn't apply much to me, but I hope it helps someone out there generate more opportunities.

Bon chance!!

~D~

May 08 16 08:31 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

... so the model wanted some cash to buy some clothes before she went on a trip.
lol

Great selling point for you to give her money!

In bad taste to say why you (the model in question here) needs money... tacky too. 
If a model has a craptastic port, most likely her approach is not professional either.

Personally I don't apply to a modeling job the same way I apply to a corporate job but the professionalism remains equal for both.  I don't really need a photographer to know about 'me' personally.  They need to like my look, know that I'll be on time and deliver, that's it.

If my former corporate manager wrote a 'cover letter', it would be like this:  I'll come in late and leave early.  I'll pretend to be really helpful but I'll use one of my contractors and subordinates to be my point person because I don't know what I'm really talking about.  If anything is amiss with my direction, I won't take ownership and blame you.  I get paid well and will expect you to get me a parting gift just being your manager before we cut you loose after the 4 month assignment.

See, being a crappy employee at any level be it modeling or working a stiff 9-5; it's all the same.

Get off your lazy ass and do your job well.

May 08 16 09:04 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

OP, sorry this model didn't meet your expectations. Move on.

May 08 16 10:34 am Link

Photographer

AlternativeLens

Grosse Ile, Michigan, US

JQuest, nothing in my post mentioned anything about the model meeting my expectations (as I had none), so I don't know why you would make that remark.

We all get requests from people that fail badly at getting them what they want.  Some people don't understand that their requests aren't formed in a way that sells.

I didn't trash anyone, nor was it a rant.  It was professional, and I'm pretty sure most people agree with the content.

You, however, contributed nothing to the conversation.

May 08 16 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I'm sorry, perhaps I misread your post. I was under the impression from what you had written that you didn't hire her because the models portfolio, look, and contact message didn't meet your expectations.

So how did the shoot go then?

May 08 16 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

AlternativeLens

Grosse Ile, Michigan, US

JQuest wrote:
I'm sorry, perhaps I misread your post. I was under the impression that you didn't hire her because her portfolio, and her contact message didn't meet your expectations.

So how did the shoot go then?

Maybe I didn't word my message well enough then.  It's simply a matter of someone looking for paid work but not selling themselves.  I provided her message as an anonymous example to illustrate to others how a more positive and professional approach might better serve to promote and sell themselves.

When I'm reviewing people for modeling, or if I'm reviewing their resumes to work for me in the corporate world, I look for professionalism and a positive attitude.  I am not unique in this.  This is how the world works.  I don't want to hire people who won't be positive and professional, especially when I work to ensure that I am professional and provide a positive experience (thus the "excellent references" I mention in my bio).

Modeling is an industry where people judge your looks.  People will also critique them.  If people don't want to be critiqued then how will they know if there is some simple change they can make that could make all the difference in the world?  It would be like going on American Idol and saying you only want positive comments.  Do you see a downside to that?

I have few expectations, and go more on impressions, so when someone wants me to pay them for something but doesn't come across in a way that impresses me, they are unlikely to get my money.  In the case of this model I thought she could do much better with a little different approach, a willingness to 'start at the bottom' (do some TF to build the portfolio), and provide a more positive sounding bio on her main page.  It's really very simple.  It wasn't personal.  I even commented that she's a nice looking girl (much better than her current photos show), and a few good shots could mean the difference between having to write to people and ask for work, and them writing to her to offer her work.

This isn't personal.  You can say anything you want about my bio or my work.  Sometimes I even change things based on negative critiques, and hope that the larger perception improves as a result.  I'm actually rebuilding my entire website right now because people told me the slide shows were too slow and cumbersome, and there were too many images to look at, so I'm striving to improve it.

I understand she wants to make money at modeling.  Lots of people want to make money at it.  So you can go about it the way you go about it, or you can consider the input and opportunities people out there provide.

There was no shoot because I am way too busy right now and was not looking for anyone when she messaged me.  I was just offering some helpful advice to novices out there using a real-world example.

May 08 16 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

OP,
You make some very valid points.  Unfortunately, for most people here, they won't be either well accepted or understood.  I'll try to explain what I mean. 

A majority of the models here on MM are looking to either make some money or enjoy the experience of modeling.  There's nothing wrong with either of those reasons.  The problem coms in when people don't see this as a valid business/opportunity.  As a working photographer, I have no problem doing a TF shoot with a model who is willing to take the time to collaborate on a  concept and make the project successful.  Most don't understand there's a lot more to a shoot than showing up and standing there while the photographer clicks away.  The model is an integral part of the creative process and communicating effectively is a big part of that process.  Regardless if its paid or TF work, having the person understand and appreciate that my time and effort is as valuable as theirs is a great start.  When looing for a model, it is encouraging to see that they've taken the time to compose a profile beyond a few lines like, "I like to model and have wanted to since I was a child."  Does anyone really believe that makes someone spending money to do a shoot hire them?  Even if  shoot is a TF proposition, money is being spent.  Time equals money, gas equals money, wear and tear on equipment equals money for a photographer just as it does when the model spends time and money for travel, make-up, clothes and other tangibles they bring to the experience.  Honor that commitment by communicating effectively, which starts with a quality, well composed profile. 

I'm definitely not trying to be mean to anyone, but taking a few minutes to compose a profile past "I shoot nudes and here's my rates" will get a model hired for better work with better photographers for better opportunities.  There's nothing wrong with shooting nudes, but is that all you want to be known for in modeling?  If so, understand that your target audience is limited, in more ways than just scale.  If not, its time for a re-write.  So you're not good at writing about yourself, most of us aren't.  Find that one friend who you trust who can express him or herself well in writing.  Ask them to read through your proposed (not posted) profile.  The question being asked really is "Would you hire me from what you're reading?"  If the answer is "No", go back to square one until you have a profile that explains your intent, goals and boundaries.  While some will argue that a model is hired strictly based on looks, I personally think they're selling themselves and the models short.  Imagine you're trying to explain a concept to someone who hasn't the foggiest clue or the ambition to even try to understand what you're saying?  Now ask yourself, "Would you spend time and money hiring and working with that person?"  The answers probably "No."  That's the impression a poorly written profile provides of you.  Don't limit yourself by putting out a profile that doesn't portray the real you.  Be up-front about what you'd like to get from the experience and what you're willing and not willing to do.  One more thing:  Don't write in the third person.  There's nothing more annoying than reading someone's profile and seeing an artificial portrayal of that person supposedly written by a fictitious entity doing a phony review.     

Best of luck to everyone!

May 09 16 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

If a model has ridiculous  ideas about image ownership or other nutty ideas, I prefer she list these in her bio.  That way I can simply pass her by immediately and save us both time and effort.

May 09 16 07:28 am Link

Photographer

AlternativeLens

Grosse Ile, Michigan, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
OP,
You make some very valid points.  Unfortunately, for most people here, they won't be either well accepted or understood.  I'll try to explain what I mean. 

Best of luck to everyone!

Excellent post!  Also, saying you'll only do paid work doesn't mean you'll get paid work.  Your bio and port should sell you.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who likes to work with positive, upbeat, professional people, so BE that person in your bio.  I grabbed the first two people highlighted on the MM home page and found them to be exactly what I'm talking about:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/3809605

https://www.modelmayhem.com/3646700

In both cases: polite, professional, positive, and clear.  And I would be willing to bet that in both cases they have a good handful of shots that were done TF in order to build their portfolio.  The shots are clear and clean and do a great job of showing prospective photographers what the models look like.  Maybe they even started out with lesser quality shots they no longer show, then did more TF with better photographers and 'traded-up'.  In both cases they want paid assignments, but in both cases they are open to TF for portfolio improvement and/or interesting ideas.

Just based on their bio and port alone I would hire them for a paid assignment.

What do you think?

May 09 16 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I generally find that brevity in communication works best

I see a Model on MM that I want to shoot with - I simply message her with " I like your look , would you like to shoot ?

And if a Model messages me - I am fine with an equally short and too the point message

A Photographer or Models portfolio says the rest

If I see a Model ranting about anything on their bio page - I generally tend just to move on

Same with Models who have extensive lists of demands , expectations etc

May 09 16 11:05 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Back in 2010-2011, my modeling "heyday," I found out from another model I knew that I would sometimes get bypassed for local work because my way of speaking in emails, and on my internet profiles, was considered too "uptight" and "formal." I had a reputation - which I'd been previously unaware of - of sounding "cold and robotic."

One photographer she'd worked with multiple times, who paid very well, stated that he preferred to contact models who had much more "fun, playful" profiles. And wrote with a lot of smiley faces and exclamation points. He'd contacted me once, felt my writing style was too formal and then stopped responding to my emails. I recall he'd stopped responding, but didn't know why up until that point. I write a lot, am very detailed in my writing, and tend to have an exacting, formal way of wording emails.

Everyone is different. A lot of photographers who network online prefer a marketing approach that would be considered "unprofessional" in the mainstream work world. I started working in the internet modeling milieu back in 2005-2006, when the market was hopping and models who shot nudes could basically just quit their day jobs and hit the road, survive and do well, as long as they networked actively and shot a lot.

Things have changed a lot over the years,  but I still toured actively last fall, earned money modeling, etc - and for the most part, working models prove themselves by their portfolios. You do need to be able to communicate in a polite, understandable way. But - some people love the professional "voice," and many, many hate it. There are no universal rules with this; one's branding and self-marketing as a model is highly individualized and different styles work for different models.

Photographers telling models how to market themselves is a moot point.

May 11 16 06:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I tailor communication to the audience/client, same with writing style.
Professionalism has nothing to do with personality.

One time I modelled for a designer & one of my friends had the gig too; I had no idea.  The designer went on and on about how this model was very difficult and explaining way too much about her experience just to get the job.

When I showed up I felt kind of bad because I was explaining to my friend what this designer was saying about 'a model' and she had no idea I was talking about her.  I never said a word about it and we had a good shoot.  She almost didn't get hired because of her communication style.

I don't think every photographer is looking for a valley girl cheerleader in persona but if it seems like you are applying to Dow Jones, maybe it creates a mood/tone before you start.

May 11 16 08:17 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jules NYC wrote:
... if it seems like you are applying to Dow Jones, maybe it creates a mood/tone before you start.

This is generally accurate.

I try to keep emails pretty concise, and casual, now.

No one gives a shit about "who I am" and "why I'm here." They just want to see what you look like, if you photograph well, and if you seem basically sociable.

May 11 16 09:48 am Link

Model

Cwen

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Koryn wrote:
Things have changed a lot over the years,  but I still toured actively last fall, earned money modeling, etc - and for the most part, working models prove themselves by their portfolios. You do need to be able to communicate in a polite, understandable way. But - some people love the professional "voice," and many, many hate it. There are no universal rules with this; one's branding and self-marketing as a model is highly individualized and different styles work for different models.

Photographers telling models how to market themselves is a moot point.

This, all this. Tbh, I've found that it's more common people (photogs and models alike)  won't even read your profile to begin with... But, I change my profile constantly to keep up with those that do. Sometimes it's short and sweet, sometimes it starts getting long again, but I try to keep it succinct and manageable for those with similar (or lesser) attention spans as myself. tongue

May 11 16 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

AlternativeLens

Grosse Ile, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I tailor communication to the audience/client, same with writing style.
Professionalism has nothing to do with personality.

I don't think every photographer is looking for a valley girl cheerleader in persona but if it seems like you are applying to Dow Jones, maybe it creates a mood/tone before you start.

I think professionalism does have a correlation with personality.  In a job interview the interviewer is trying to imagine you in their business doing the job.  Picturing you with customers, how you would conduct yourself in meetings, among your peers, with management, etc.  Doesn't mean you need to have a glowing personality or much to say, but if you're negative or demanding it's imaginable that's how you'll be on the job.  That is the kind of thing I'm referring to: demanding or negative bios.  Telling everyone what you won't tolerate instead of telling people what you are hoping to get, for example.

No one is trying to imagine anyone here for much more than the job at-hand, I get that, but I don't want to spend all day with anyone who is going to be demanding, negative, or not enjoyable to work with.  Now if someone is offering a lot of money, that's a little different, because we all have to whore ourselves once in a while, but even then, if I'm paying a lot of money, it's all the more important that the people I'm considering working with don't come off like asshats.

I'm just an amateur photographer.  I pay sometimes.  I do TF sometimes.  I'm no one special.  I'm not a Vogue photographer.  But what if I was?  Would people feel differently about it then?  Would anyone send a negative, rule-filled bio to a photographer at Vogue or GQ?

May 12 16 07:13 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

AlternativeLens wrote:
I think professionalism does have a correlation with personality.  In a job interview the interviewer is trying to imagine you in their business doing the job.  Picturing you with customers, how you would conduct yourself in meetings, among your peers, with management, etc.  Doesn't mean you need to have a glowing personality or much to say, but if you're negative or demanding it's imaginable that's how you'll be on the job.  That is the kind of thing I'm referring to: demanding or negative bios.  Telling everyone what you won't tolerate instead of telling people what you are hoping to get, for example.

I hear what you are saying completely and agree but no one is trying to be the President or CEO here.  For MM, it's just a modeling shoot.  I've worked for magazines, catalogs, TV and the guy that can only pay me 50 bucks and trade with people I like.

I am me.
Pleasant, nice, warm & engaging.

I put that across in everything I do be it a corporate job or if I'm modeling.
Professionalism to me is being exceptional at what you do and having a solid work ethic to get it done. 

I've seen people act very casual and landing multi-million dollar deals (I used to work in finance and the mortgage industry) and still completely true, blue professionals.  Somehow I think people associate being professional with being a 'D' type personality.

I am an 'I' all the way and sometimes I can slip into 'D' mode.

https://www.discinsights.com/personalit … zU_iNQrJqM

https://carroll.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/dragnet_final-249x300.png

May 12 16 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

AlternativeLens

Grosse Ile, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I am me.
Pleasant, nice, warm & engaging.

I put that across in everything I do be it a corporate job or if I'm modeling.
Professionalism to me is being exceptional at what you do and having a solid work ethic to get it done.

LOVED your post!  The part about Pleasant, nice, warm & engaging (or some positive variation) I think is what I was talking about in my original post.  There are a lot of bios that are very negative, suspicious, bossy, etc.  I understand they want to get the BS out of the way right up front, maybe due to bad experiences or maybe because of hearing about the risks, and I don't think I'm the only person (unless the subject has something REALLY special/desirable for my purposes) to move on to someone else.

I see a lot of people that look like great models, but having ignored the negativity in the bios just to have it walk in to my shoot and rain on the day has taught me to pay more attention.  Unfortunately you'll never get a photographer who will post in their bio: "BE FOREWARNED: I'm unhappily married and a closet pervert, whose first priority is to get you naked, then do anything I can to get you to engage in some kind of sexual conduct with me.".  Now THAT would change the face of MANY things, eh?

May 18 16 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

AlternativeLens wrote:
Unfortunately you'll never get a photographer who will post in their bio: "BE FOREWARNED: I'm unhappily married and a closet pervert, whose first priority is to get you naked, then do anything I can to get you to engage in some kind of sexual conduct with me.".  Now THAT would change the face of MANY things, eh?

Reminds me of that movie with Dudley Moore called "Crazy People" in which they told the honest truth in advertising campaigns.  If that becomes the trend, I'm sure what will follow.

Great line and fantastic work!

May 18 16 10:27 am Link