Forums > General Industry > What do you look for when you vote for an image?

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Lighting, composition, creativity, quality of image – are some of the things I look for when I vote for an image in any contest category. 

Here, it seems that anything goes.  Snapshots, crotch shots, flat lighting and some of the most unnatural looking poses get plenty of votes, while a beautifully lit composition may only get a few.   Is it just a popularity contest?   I see why some people have thousands of friends, the more you have the more votes you are likely to get regardless of the quality of the image you've posted.

I've hesitated posting my thoughts because art is subjective but judging art has always had a hint of objectivity.

May 17 16 05:20 am Link

Photographer

VphotoNYC

New York, New York, US

hi Mary,

What you're describing is not so much a vote for the image but an attempt for the fan to connect with with their counterpart from the image. you can see the same behavior on image comments here as well as on social media where the "fans" phrase themselves more like suitors rather than peers.

and most of these contests are indeed popularity stunts... I would say this applies to some extent even in the more "main stream" photo competitions.

whenever I have submitted any of my work for competition or critique, I find that the most honest responses (essentially those who followed the same principles you stated in the beginning) come from people that have absolutely nothing to gain or lose by providing feedback.

May 17 16 05:54 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:
Lighting, composition, creativity, quality of image – are some of the things I look for when I vote for an image in any contest category.

I look for overall impact from the image. Does it speak to me in some way? Is it boring? Does the subject matter interest me?

It can be the most perfectly lit, well composed image in the group but if its boring..no vote. I care less about technical perfection that the emotional image. I for for images that make me feel.

May 17 16 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

As someone who has won 20 +18 women's contests and 1 male +18 contest I can tell you now that it was never a matter of popularity. Now I have won with Art nudes and no open vagina shots that do seem to be popular.

I think there are only about 60 people who vote for the nude pictures of the day. On some days only around 40.  There is no guessing what they will like other than it should be technically sound and have some interest.

I will say that it is rare that a horizontal image will win.  It is also rare in the nude contests that a landscape art nude will win... Mostly portrait style or glamour style 3/4 shots win.

You can't ask people to vote for you and I never have... But based on some recent winners I am starting to think there are alliances on Facebook pushing for votes.

Model Mayhem doesn't really seem to care, and either do most of the members.  It all becomes so boring, I must say after 20 wins I could care less.

May 17 16 06:39 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

I go for the emotion in the shot and the comp,  as far as a nude or portrait the eyes have to have feeling emotion or theirs no image for me , as for 18+ contest here on mayhem it's become a good o'l boy spread shot contest same photographers same images boring... Popularity wins over quality sometimes , I look for quality...

May 17 16 08:42 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I vote for beautiful imagery, wonderful lighting, over the top posing and an intensely well thought out basis for the shot  .  .  .  well, unless there's a puppy, then I vote for that  .  .  .  wink

SOS

May 17 16 08:50 am Link