Forums > Photography Talk > Avoid distortion

Photographer

ryandjagustin

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Hi guys! I would like to ask on how to avoid distortion. Thank you!!

May 23 16 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Don't turn the amp up so high.

Also, be more specific. What kind of distortion?

May 23 16 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Remove it in camera raw

May 23 16 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Avoid hallucinogenic drugs. Especially during a shoot.

May 23 16 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Solas wrote:
Remove it in camera raw

unfortunately, that only corrects rectilinear distortion, but not the circular distortion or stretching that occurs at the edges of the frame. there are many ways to avoid it, depending on many factors, including 1. what kind of distortion 2. the constraints imposed by the physical and visual requirements 3. the amount of money or time you have available. but the general hints are:

1. as previously stated, don't turn the volume up too high but also stay up from the noise floor
2. keep the rf levels well controlled
3. get good speakers
4. stay clear of interference
5. use good lenses and know how to use them
6. don't scream into the mic or else use attenuation pad
7. use high quality oscillators and amplifiers
8. listen carefully and repeat facts exactly as you heard them, not what you think was said
9 use good shielding and proper wire (important with death stars)

May 23 16 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Stay at least 6 feet away from the speakers or model.

May 23 16 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Get a Marshall jubilee series amp stack

Worst $1000 I ever spent...guitar sounded so flacid...

Oh wait

May 24 16 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Avoid wide angel lenses.

May 25 16 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Avoid wide angel lenses.

The distortion complaints associated with wide angle lenses, are usually issues with short subject distances.  It's not the lens that causes the issue, but the fact that you are so close to the subject.

You can show that this is the case by moving further from the subject and cropping the resulting image.  You will find that by moving further from the subject, all the "wide angle distortion" has disappeared.

May 25 16 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Avoid wide angel lenses.

How else can you photograph a fat angel?

May 25 16 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

you use four shortnin to your advantage.

May 25 16 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

May 25 16 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you are talking about the kind that comes from using wide angle lenses, i try to avoid having people right at the edges of the shot when i'm doing a group shot. but sometimes distortion is what you're after. depends on what you're up to i suppose. personally i don't like standing so far back that i have to use a megaphone to talk to my groups.

May 25 16 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

Lol, yay, somebody got it!  big_smile

May 25 16 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Koenig

Gillette, New Jersey, US

"Distortion" is a hard term to define. In particular, when you use an extreme wide-angle lens, there is usually very little rectilinear distortion, in the sense that straight lines in the subject show up as straight lines in the image. The reason that such images look distorted is that the viewer is usually much further away from the image than would be necessary to reproduce the original field of view.

In other words: Suppose you're using a lens with a focal length that is the same as the long dimension of your sensor. If you're using an APS-C camera, the sensor is about 16x24mm, so imagine using a 24mm lens on such a camera. Because the focal length is the same as the long dimension, the distance between camera and subject is the same as the long dimension of the subject coverage. In other words, if you stand 10 feet away from your subject, the side-to-side coverage will also be 10 feet.

In order to view an image taken by that lens with the same perspective as the original, your eyes need to be as far from the print (or display) as the long dimension of the image. So, for example, if you have an 8x12 print, your eyes need to be 12 inches away from the print for the perspective to match. That's pretty close, but doable.

If you were to use a 12mm lens, which is usually considered an extreme wide-angle, you would need to be 6 inches away from an 8x12 print for the right perspective. That's unlikely in practice, and the substantial difference between the perspective-preserving viewpoint and the actual viewpoint is what causes the perceived distortion.

If you're still with me, you now know enough to answer the original question: The way to avoid distortion is to use a lens with a focal length that corresponds to the intended viewing distance. For example: My computer monitor is 25 inches side to side, and when I'm sitting in the posture I use when I'm paying attention, my eyes are about 27 inches from the monitor. That means that for ideal perspective from my usual viewpoint, I should use a lens that is about 10% longer in focal length than the horizontal dimension of the part of the image that I intend to use after cropping. If I'm using an APS-C camera, that means a focal length of about 26mm. Longer than that, and the perspective will look flatter than in real life; shorter than that and there will appear to be corner distortion.

I'm guessing that these ratios are not particularly unusual, which explains why such focal lengths are popular.

May 26 16 08:10 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Andrew Koenig wrote:
In order to view an image taken by that lens with the same perspective as the original, your eyes need to be as far from the print (or display) as the long dimension of the image. So, for example, if you have an 8x12 print, your eyes need to be 12 inches away from the print for the perspective to match.

...How did you reach this belief? What do you think it means to talk of viewing a 2D object with the same perspective as a 3D one?

May 26 16 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Koenig

Gillette, New Jersey, US

thiswayup wrote:
...How did you reach this belief? What do you think it means to talk of viewing a 2D object with the same perspective as a 3D one?

It means to view the 3D object from a single viewpoint--i.e., with one eye closed, or from far enough away that binocular vision doesn't matter.

If you are looking at a 3D subject from a single point, then what you see is the same as what you see if the various parts of that subject were to be projected onto an arbitrary plane by drawing a line from your eye to each part of the subject and noting where that line intersects the plane.

If you take a photograph with a camera that has a lens that renders straight lines as straight lines, then the camera's image is an example of such a projection, with the added caveat that the image will usually be multiplied by a linear factor (typically less than 1) to adjust the image's size relative to the subject's size.

So, for example, if I have a flat subject -- say, a mural covering a wall -- and I use a lens with the same focal length as the horizontal (or vertical) dimension of my sensor, and I point the lens in a direction such that the line from the center of my sensor through the lens meets the wall at right angles, then the horizontal (or vertical) part of the mural that the lens will cover is equal to my distance from the mural. This is just a consequence of the properties of similar triangles: One such triangle is made by my lens and the two sides of the area that the lens covers; the other is made by my lens and the two sides of my sensor.

If the subject is three-dimensional, it is as if the subject were projected (from the viewpoint of my lens) onto a plane that is perpendicular to the line from the center of my sensor, through the lens, to that plane. Again, consequences of the properties of similar triangles.

May 28 16 08:57 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Use a view camera.

May 28 16 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Traditional Curmudgeon

Chicago, Illinois, US

A view camera is, indeed, the best way to avoid "convergence", which is not really "distortion".  The point-projection geometry onto a tilted plane (film or sensor plane that is not parallel to the subject,e.g., not vertical) also occurs naturally in your vision.
To avoid convergence in architectural photography, the film/sensor plane must be accurately vertical (use a hardware-store torpedo level; the levels built into cameras are often inaccurate), which is straightforward with a view camera with lens rise.
With a "fixed" (no motions) camera, you can make the back vertical, but throw away roughly the bottom half of the image (if you have lots of pixels or film area) and get the same effect.

Jun 01 16 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Koenig

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Some enlargers used to have tilting lensboards, which allowed for correcting converging parallels in the darkroom while maintaining focus (the same way one would do so in a view camera). These days, it's easy to do in software.

Jun 01 16 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

The OP never came back. Maybe WE are the distortion he is trying to avoid.

Jun 01 16 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Toto Photo wrote:
The OP never came back. Maybe WE are the distortion he is trying to avoid.

He probably thinks that since we are picking on him, we are unwilling to answer his question seriously.

We can do both!

Jun 01 16 04:00 pm Link