Forums > Photography Talk > Fire speed lights super fast

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I was looking at this image
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo … /547566123

I own some Canon 430 ex II speed lights. Is it possible to get my speed lights to fire that fast for multiple exposure. I already tried with a pocket wizard and just using my finger to press really fast and I can't fire the lights that fast, even at lowest power. Or perhaps I just can't physically press the button that fast myself. Is there some way to get the speed lights to do this?

Thanks!!!!!
Peter

May 23 16 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I'm not sure if they exclude this feature in the 430EXII but there's a multi option. You would then fire off a long exposure, i.e., 5 seconds, and the flash will do its thing according to the frequency and duration you choose.

I'd test with the flash on the hotshoe first and once you confirm it works, try with the triggers.

May 23 16 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

R_Marquez wrote:
I'm not sure if they exclude this feature in the 430EXII but there's a multi option. You would then fire off a long exposure, i.e., 5 seconds, and the flash will do its thing according to the frequency and duration you choose.

I'd test with the flash on the hotshoe first and once you confirm it works, try with the triggers.

Pretty much that.

And remember that for every awesome image like this you see, there are fifty terrible ones of the subject performing the same motion over and over and over ...

May 23 16 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I think you'd need something a bit bigger.

May 24 16 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Marc S Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

poiter wrote:

I own some Canon 430 ex II speed lights. Is it possible to get my speed lights to fire that fast for multiple exposure. I already tried with a pocket wizard and just using my finger to press really fast and I can't fire the lights that fast, even at lowest power. Or perhaps I just can't physically press the button that fast myself. Is there some way to get the speed lights to do this?

Thanks!!!!!
Peter

High speed synch with multiple speed lights placed close to the subject and a camera that can fire off many frames per second would do the trick, I would think. But I do not know if the 430 EX II provides High Speed Synch as a feature, and in any case to compensate for the lowered power output when using High Speed Synch you would either need to increase ISO a lot or have a scene where the flash is very close to the subject or use multiple 430 EX IIs to have enough light on the subject.

May 24 16 12:29 am Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

To summarize and babble a bit, three ways come to mind: multi-strobe mode on the flash, intervalometer via Pocket Wizards, multiple exposures stitched together. Looks like the 430 II doesn't have multi-strobe mode, but the 580 II does; you can set intensity, rate (flashes/sec), and quantity (inter-related based on the capability of the flash). Pocket Wizard Multimax can do intervalometer, and/or can do "Speed Cycler" (see https://youtu.be/C7w3wpf_XC8?t=5m for an example of doing three looks in one second). The intervalometer could multi-pop one speedlight, while speed cycler could cycle through several speedlights, giving you stronger pops per light. I'd suspect multiple exposures takes a LOT of intuition, as you have to get the subject to be lit significantly better than the background (since the subject will appear in different places, the lighting is less additive than it is on the background). See Peter Read Miller's example at https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/rawf … /PRM10.jpg

May 24 16 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Marc S Photography wrote:
High speed synch with multiple speed lights placed close to the subject and a camera that can fire off many frames per second would do the trick, I would think.

no. even with high frame rates of 10-14 fps is not enough. that's not how it's done. A golf swing or ballet jump only lasts 0.25 seconds or less. also combining multiple frames is too much work. please notice most of these are done with black or dark background. the camera is set on bulb or a slow shutter speed of 1/10 sec or longer. the flash(es) are fired in stroboscopic mode. speed lights with the function, industrial strobes, and some photographic packs (like broncolor) or a dance hall strobe will do it.

May 24 16 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

no. even with high frame rates of 10-14 fps is not enough. that's not how it's done. A golf swing or ballet jump only lasts 0.25 seconds or less. also combining multiple frames is too much work. please notice most of these are done with black or dark background. the camera us set on bulb or a long shutter speed of 1/10 sec or longer. the flash(es) are fired in stroboscopic mode. speed lights with the function, industrial strobes, and some photographic packs (like broncolor) or a dance hall strobe will do it.

Yeppers!

May 24 16 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can do that with the Canon 580EX II flash. It will fire up to 128 times per second.

Here is one at 3 times a second:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32690762  +18

May 24 16 10:18 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I think what you're looking for is some stroboscopic info.

and here it is. smile

http://www.iso1200.com/2012/01/dancer-i … using.html

May 24 16 10:53 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

poiter wrote:

Thanks!!!!!
Peter

it is constant light with black background.

Basically, the light is constant while the shutter is fired at rapid rate.

or, you can have multiple lights source fire rapidly while the shutter is on bulb.

May 24 16 11:47 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Multiple exposures that are then used to create a composite makes things easy at capture but more demanding in post.

Multiple flashes, actual strobe lighting, will do it in one shot if the flashes are fast enough and / or the subject movement is slow enough. Despite many people mistakenly calling photography flash units 'strobes', apart from speedlights, few have this facility. http://www.willsphotoimaging.co.uk/Blog … nated.html  Many speedlights have a strobe mode although as you've discovered, yours does not. The cheapest way for you to get a speedlight that has a strobe mode, apart from borrowing, is probably a used one. My old Metz 40MZ3i works well like this. In strobe mode it is usual for the frequency of the flashes to directly determine the power output available. The higher the frequency ( faster) the lower the power of each flash, much like HSS.

Few mains monoboc flash units have a strobe mode ( the ultimate irony for those who call them 'strobes' ). The fastest monobloc is, I think, the Hensel Speedmax and it has a strobe mode. http://hensel.eu/katalog/en/products/fl … d-max.html Some monoblocs and some pack lights have sufficiently fast recharge speed to be able to hold the 'test' button down and get a rapid sequence of flashes. My Hensel Expert D 250 is good at this, the 500 is not quite so fast. Whilst this approach is simple the flash output and colour temperature are more likely to vary flash-to-flash than with a flash unit that has a strobe mode as well as a flash mode. The cheapest route to try this out is probably to hire a strobe from a stage / music lighting hire centre or borrow one from a friendly DJ.

May 25 16 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it!!!

May 26 16 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:

it is constant light with black background.

Basically, the light is constant while the shutter is fired at rapid rate.

or, you can have multiple lights source fire rapidly while the shutter is on bulb.

No, that's not the normal way to get a shot like this - that would require merging the images.  The normal way is, as others have said, using a stroboscope - a device which fires short bursts of light at regular intervals. A few strobes can do this.

The Elinchrom ELC Pro HD monobloc lights can do this: http://www.elinchrom.com/bts/1502-dreams.html

May 26 16 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:
No, that's not the normal way to get a shot like this - that would require merging the images.  The normal way is, as others have said, using a stroboscope - a device which fires short bursts of light at regular intervals. A few strobes can do this.

The Elinchrom ELC Pro HD monobloc lights can do this: http://www.elinchrom.com/bts/1502-dreams.html

This is correct and note that this is NOT high speed synch.

May 26 16 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Or perhaps a rotating wheel with slits in front of the lens using continuous lights?
Just throwing that out.

May 26 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

This is high frame rate, and the images need to be merged. 15 frames/sec.

Although some lights will strobe.

Perhaps the Eli could be set to fire 15 times in one second in ONE frame?

The OP looks more like 30 shots in 1/2sec either merged or single frame.

Totally doable, but not with your average light set up.

May 26 16 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Just because a golf swing or dance move is fast in real life doesn't mean that it HAS to go that fast when you doing a set up shot using multiple strobe firings. 

Ask the subject to go through the move but say at half the speed or as slow as they can as you pop away.

May 26 16 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Mike Collins wrote:
Just because a golf swing or dance move is fast in real life doesn't mean that it HAS to go that fast when you doing a set up shot using multiple strobe firings. 

Ask the subject to go through the move but say at half the speed or as slow as they can as you pop away.

Correct some cases, but that was a ballerina and I am not sure that move can be done slowly. Some cannot, some can with somebody with incredible control and others can.

So perhaps we stick to those that cannot be done slowly to help with the OP's issue. Although this is a good point depending what the OP needs.

May 26 16 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

no. even with high frame rates of 10-14 fps is not enough. that's not how it's done. A golf swing or ballet jump only lasts 0.25 seconds or less. also combining multiple frames is too much work. please notice most of these are done with black or dark background. the camera is set on bulb or a slow shutter speed of 1/10 sec or longer. the flash(es) are fired in stroboscopic mode. speed lights with the function, industrial strobes, and some photographic packs (like broncolor) or a dance hall strobe will do it.

This is what I thought at first, but I'm going to guess it's a regular strobe light like you'd find in a nightclub.

If it was a speed light in the strobe mode, each of the exposures would be crisp without the motion blur.

May 27 16 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Ebay search     -->    party strobe light xenon

May 27 16 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Rudy Winston

New York, New York, US

Speedlites like the Canon 580EX II, 600EX-RT, and the new 600EX II-RT can be fired in what's called "multi" flash mode, which is stroboscopic flash.  This can be done with a single flash on-camera, or with multiple flashes off-camera in either optical or radio-based wireless flash set-ups.  These speedlites can fire up to 199 times per second, and certainly at slower rates, depending upon what you need, the level of ambient light, and how long the shutter speed is going to be.

This is also possible with high-end Nikon speedlights, like the SB-900 and 910, and presumably the SB-5000 (Nikon calls it Repeating flash mode), and it's no doubt also possible with other premium-grade shoe-mount flashes.

As previously described, this is normally done in a single, long exposure, in an otherwise darkened environment. 

So yes, something like this definitely could be done with speedlites, although you'd have to step-up from the Canon EX400-series speedlites, since they don't offer the Multi (stroboscopic) flash option.

Rudy

May 27 16 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Rudy Winston wrote:
Speedlites like the Canon 580EX II, 600EX-RT, and the new 600EX II-RT can be fired in what's called "multi" flash mode, which is stroboscopic flash.  This can be done with a single flash on-camera, or with multiple flashes off-camera in either optical or radio-based wireless flash set-ups.  These speedlites can fire up to 199 times per second, and certainly at slower rates, depending upon what you need, the level of ambient light, and how long the shutter speed is going to be.

This is also possible with high-end Nikon speedlights, like the SB-900 and 910, and presumably the SB-5000 (Nikon calls it Repeating flash mode), and it's no doubt also possible with other premium-grade shoe-mount flashes.

As previously described, this is normally done in a single, long exposure, in an otherwise darkened environment. 

So yes, something like this definitely could be done with speedlites, although you'd have to step-up from the Canon EX400-series speedlites, since they don't offer the Multi (stroboscopic) flash option.

Rudy

Thought I had seen somebody do that with a Canon flash but was not sure.
This gives a bunch of stuff.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=+strobos … yPA4XirvgH

How clean an edge you will get is as above, but also a factor of how much the images overlap, and how much ambient light is involved. So pretty much flavour to taste.

May 27 16 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Herman Surkis wrote:
This is high frame rate, and the images need to be merged. 15 frames/sec.

Although some lights will strobe.

Perhaps the Eli could be set to fire 15 times in one second in ONE frame?

The OP looks more like 30 shots in 1/2sec either merged or single frame.

Totally doable, but not with your average light set up.

No, it's not high frame rate - the idea is that you use a SLOW shutter speed (say 1-5 seconds), and have the strobe fire many times during that time. As I said, the Elinchrom ELC monoblocs can do this (and some high-end speed lights can, too). Because you only see the image when the strobe fires, you get apparent separate frames, but it's not. Have a look at the link I posted.

May 31 16 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

No, it's not high frame rate - the idea is that you use a SLOW shutter speed (say 1-5 seconds), and have the strobe fire many times during that time. As I said, the Elinchrom ELC monoblocs can do this (and some high-end speed lights can, too). Because you only see the image when the strobe fires, you get apparent separate frames, but it's not. Have a look at the link I posted.

For the OP image I revised my comment as above yours.

Will the Eli fire 30 times per second? I do not know of any monoblocs that will do this, but numerous speedlights will.

What is evident from the thread is that there are numerous ways to get something similar, and it has motivated me to try it. The high end Canon speedlights are supposed to do it. The Nikon SB800 is also supposed to do it, but I cannot get mine to do so.

As for not merged, it could be, although I do not know of any camera that does 30fps. There are some incredible images  out there that are a merge of hundreds of shots.

Again flavour to taste.

May 31 16 04:50 pm Link