Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Tips for dealing with ungroomed eyebrows

Makeup Artist

StephJStyles

Los Angeles, California, US

Hello Hello,

I'm a newly certified freelance mua and I am looking for tips on dealing with un-groomed eyebrows. I have had a few clients that obviously don't wear makeup very often, and have had wild brows. I think that eyebrows can really enhance a clients overall look, however, I'm not sure if it would be tacky to suggest eyebrow grooming before an appt. I'm currently no pro at doing eyebrows, but will begin classes in 2 weeks, so I will eventually offer the service, but I'm curious as to how you all have dealt with it and any tips that may help in doing so are greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Jun 07 16 06:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

StephJStyles wrote:
...dealing with ungroomed eyebrows...

Brows frame the eyes... they are critical to achieving a compelling narrative... Male grooming can be especially challenging since far too many have "Unibrow" 

What to do? Threading is best, followed by tweezing... don't even think of bringing a razor to the brows though... Yes I realize that most salons will wax brows, simply because it's fast (time is money) and they have the equipment on standby for body waxing... btw I now avoid any brow treatment immediately before an event and/or photo-shoot.  The client's skin will be irritated turning various hues of red... which fade progressively making masking with product a serious challenge.  There are ample YouTube videos on how to thread and/or tweeze so you have no excuse not to master this art...

Best advice? If Bridal I have a list of what they need to have taken care of two and one week out from the event. Otherwise you should receive contact info on your Call Sheet for a commercial gig.  Let the talent know that they are responsible for having their brows professionally shaped prior to the day of the shoot.  Hair stylist will be contacting them also with what they need to do with there hair the night before and the day of the event/session.  However if you are dealing with retail clientele who don't have an event immediately after then brow shaping is another add on fee to enhance your revenue stream.

One of the most endearing services I have the privilege to provide are makeovers for cancer survivors as a
Team Member
https://www.restonstudio.com/images/mua/Glam_Squad_Logo.jpg
Many of these courageous ladies have virtually no brows owing to chemotherapy thus requiring an intimate knowledge of brow morphology and it's relation to facial symmetry...  My journey here has involved practice on head mannikins used by estheticians learning facial massage... drawing brows on two dimensional face charts doesn't even come close to working in three dimensional space...

Note: One of the joys of working with agency talent is they typically arrive with ideally shaped brows... and a clean face... It doesn't get any better smile

Hope this helps Steph...

Jun 07 16 06:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Carry Orajel to numb the area if you have to tweeze a stray or two. I try to avoid this as it occasionally can cause swelling or redness. Get a pair of "twissors" by Alcone, they make it super easy to trim long, overgrown brow hair. Clear mascara on a disposable wand does wonders.

Jun 10 16 11:20 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

It is so interesting to read what all of you say. I am not at all good on eyebrows. Also, I do not understand why everyones eyebrows has to look the same nowdays.

Aug 13 16 04:03 pm Link

Model

Jen B E

Hesperia, California, US

StephJStyles wrote:
Hello Hello,

I'm a newly certified freelance mua and I am looking for tips on dealing with un-groomed eyebrows. I have had a few clients that obviously don't wear makeup very often, and have had wild brows. I think that eyebrows can really enhance a clients overall look, however, I'm not sure if it would be tacky to suggest eyebrow grooming before an appt. I'm currently no pro at doing eyebrows, but will begin classes in 2 weeks, so I will eventually offer the service, but I'm curious as to how you all have dealt with it and any tips that may help in doing so are greatly appreciated!

Thank You

For last minute clean up fixes I used the comb and trim method, (use the lash comb to brush and hold brows above the natural line of the brow and trim along the top of the natural brow line, then follow as you move along the brow. then snip under brow strays at the point of growth, (if you are trying to avoid redness for imminent shoot.) Then use wax to smooth and maybe a dab of powder that is brow color OR brow pencil strokes as brows.

I actually prefer this menthod for men as it really cleans up the brows without looking like too much was done.

Jen
p.s. a model.

Aug 13 16 08:21 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

To answer the OP's question is it tacky to suggest grooming before the appointment?  Absolutely  not.  Suggest, tell, insist they get their brows done before hand if you don't want to do it yourself.  You can charge extra if you feel they need a good amount.  If possible I will wax before hand if there is too much to tweeze.  But of course if I am on location, tweezing is my only choice.  You are the professional.  If they knew better they would already have them done.  R-

Aug 15 16 12:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Dallas, Texas, US

I normally use the comb and trim method and use a tweezer for any long stray hair, if I have to I'll use a brow gel.

Dec 14 16 05:35 pm Link