Forums > Model Colloquy > about the Book.

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I'll ask this here in hopes of a response from those in the know...

I have a Friend who's Birthday is coming up, Her dream is to Model, is getting serious and wants to start a book.

My intention is to buy Her one, question is which one??

does it matter?

what size???

any recommendation?

Thanks.

Jul 02 16 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

How good a friend? These days some agencies like the model to use an iPad (or I presume another tablet would be ok) as their book...

(Actually, the base level Kindle Fire would probably cost less than most decent model portfolio books..)

Jul 03 16 06:05 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

thiswayup wrote:
How good a friend?

well, not iPad good although that would be awesome.

smile

Jul 03 16 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

I have a Friend who's Birthday is coming up, Her dream is to Model, is getting serious and wants to start a book.

does it matter?

what size???

any recommendation?

Thanks.

What does your friend look like and whats her stats?

Jul 03 16 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

does it matter?
what size???
any recommendation?

Thanks.

There's some good advice here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/1797

And in my experience every agency girl I ever met in Shakey Town had a 9x12 book. It's big enough for 8x10s or tearsheets.

Jul 03 16 10:42 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Images by MR wrote:
What does your friend look like and whats her stats?

Hi,

She's My current avatar, stats on Her page.

Jul 03 16 11:04 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

There's some good advice here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/1797

And in my experience every agency girl I ever met in Shakey Town had a 9x12 book. It's big enough for 8x10s or tearsheets.

Thank You!!!

Jul 03 16 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Hi,

She's My current avatar, stats on Her page.

Fashion agencies want girls at least 5'9"

Jul 03 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Images by MR wrote:

In Shakey Town there are plenty of pro models 5'8" or even a little shorter. Granted, there isn't much high-fashion here and there's a lot of swimwear/sportswear and sexy/figure stuff.

Jul 03 16 11:25 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Images by MR wrote:

There's a local girl who walked in Paris at 5' 8", not to be argumentative but I'm not sure if the 5' 9" minimum holds true.

Can't hurt for Her to try.

Jul 03 16 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

There's a local girl who walked in Paris at 5' 8", not to be argumentative but I'm not sure if the 5' 9" minimum holds true.

Can't hurt for Her to try.

In the real world of fashion modelling height & looks are everything.

Girls don't need any photos to walk in and visit the local agency.    If they sign her is one thing getting paid work is another.

Jul 03 16 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

In Shakey Town there are plenty of pro models 5'8" or even a little shorter. Granted, there isn't much high-fashion here and there's a lot of swimwear/sportswear and sexy/figure stuff.

Well I'm not talking about Shakey Town

Jul 03 16 12:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Images by MR wrote:

Nor is the OP querying about fashion let alone runway... Yes 5'9" is germane for runway...

That said the top agency is DC signs 5' 4" talent for Print... I've worked with many of their talent, they are amazing. Here are their Submission Requirements
MR the OP's location (Uniontown, Pennsylvania) is within T.H.E. Artist Agency marketing area...

Keep in mind there is little if any recompense for runway and/or catwalk other than cloths...
The revenue stream for the lion's share of agency models comes primarily from catalog... this has been confirmed by nearly all the agency talent I've collaborated with...  albeit at the top end, major campaigns are into the $K's

Besides print, promo modeling is also an option since it has a much more relaxed height requirement...
Another option would be acting but she would likely be walking into a cold read on her first open call there...

As for books? a 12x12 allows for both vertical & horizontal 9x12's to be placed so the book doesn't have to be turned... Yes this can matter...  However in my minds eye a Zed Card is likely the appropriate first step in marketing... books are optional and if she does get signed the agency will want their visual statement showcased which will likely result in very few if any of her current book being used...

From the T.H.E. Submission Page: "Professional photographs are not required for submission."
They want Polaroid style imagery... no facial expression, no makeup, hair not styled, and not altered in post processing. This requirement is ubiquitous amongst major agencies... 

Hope this helps FIFTYONE...
All the best...

Jul 03 16 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

ArtistryImage wrote:

Thanks so much for this valuable information.

Jul 03 16 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Images by MR wrote:

ArtistryImage wrote:
Nor is the OP querying about fashion let alone runway... Yes 5'9" is germane for runway...

That said the top agency is DC signs 5' 4" talent for Print... I've worked with many of their talent, they are amazing. Here are their Submission Requirements
MR the OP's location (Uniontown, Pennsylvania) is within T.H.E. Artist Agency marketing area...

Keep in mind there is little if any recompense for runway and/or catwalk other than cloths...
The revenue stream for the lion's share of agency models comes primarily from catalog... this has been confirmed by nearly all the agency talent I've collaborated with...  albeit at the top end, major campaigns are into the $K's

Besides print, promo modeling is also an option since it has a much more relaxed height requirement...
Another option would be acting but she would likely be walking into a cold read on her first open call there...

As for books? a 12x12 allows for both vertical & horizontal 9x12's to be placed so the book doesn't have to be turned... Yes this can matter...  However in my minds eye a Zed Card is likely the appropriate first step in marketing... books are optional and if she does get signed the agency will want their visual statement showcased which will likely result in very few if any of her current book being used...

From the T.H.E. Submission Page: "Professional photographs are not required for submission."
They want Polaroid style imagery... no facial expression, no makeup, hair not styled, and not altered in post processing. This requirement is ubiquitous amongst major agencies... 

Hope this helps FIFTYONE...
All the best...

Where did the OP state which type of model agency his friend wanted?

Jul 03 16 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Images by MR wrote:

I didn't, the only question posed was about a portfolio book. You seemed to raise the Agency topic and ArtistryImage was kind enough to provide information that could quite possibly be beneficial to My friends quest. On the other hand Your comments seemed to have a negative tone for reasons unknown.

?

Jul 04 16 06:13 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Images by MR wrote:

Girls don't need any photos to walk in and visit the local agency.    If they sign her is one thing getting paid work is another.

Yes to this, at her age she is able to go to open castings. I recommend going back to the same place that may reject her the next month or in a few more months later.

I think that can't hurt too.

Jen

Jul 04 16 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Images by MR wrote:

You keep saying "fashion", why?  You do understand that there is high fashion, aka fashion editorial, and commercial work, and they have different requirements?

Well, apparently you don't, but it's true. And most of the work is in commercial, not high fashion.

This young lady would stand no chance at all in high fashion, but she's just about tall enough for commercial and has the girl-next-door look favoured for commercial.

Jul 04 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Images by MR wrote:

He didn't. You're the one who seems too have assumed high fashion, even though it was the least likely possibility...

Jul 04 16 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here OP, http://www.adorama.com/fsad249.html?RRref=productPage    I used to buy these in bulk and give them to new models.   A member has mentioned 5'4" models being signed for commercial work.   Commercial modeling has standards as does fashion and its primarily portfolio mills (rip offs) who sign models under 5'7".   Commercial models need a basic book when they approach agencies.   http://newmodels.com/     Some agencies use their fashion faces for commercial work.   The OP is NOT in a fashion market of course.   Even commercial may be difficult to book if signed.   You kinda have to be where the work is.   NY, Miami, Chicago (to a lessor degree)

While there are a few 'agencies' near the OP.   I suspect they don't book much and having 5'5" models suggests they are a port mill.   One does not say they are an a agency.   OP, tell the model at 19 she should take a leap of faith.   She's pretty and while not 5'10" NY is a $40.00 train ride away.   Some of the NY members host.   My feeling is she could hook up some tests while going to agency open calls.   They are all free and will only require she has some basic Polaroid level shots.   
http://laurensantoine.com/blog/entry/ju … -polaroids

.....and goodness no need for a iPad or tablet at this stage.

Jul 04 16 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

They don't bring ipads to castings..lol  If you don't have a book you bring a comp card with your website on it at the bare minimum but if they like you, you really don't need anything.

Jul 04 16 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Tombouctou, Tombouctou, Mali

Some of you guys might want to take a look at what a proper model has to say about portfolios generally and tablet devices specifically:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … portfolios

Jul 04 16 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

M A R K wrote:
Some of you guys might want to take a look at what a proper model has to say about portfolios generally and tablet devices specifically:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … portfolios

Isn't what shes talking about with regards to having a portfolio something you would get after signing with a agency?

Jul 05 16 01:03 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Tombouctou, Tombouctou, Mali

Images by MR wrote:
Isn't what shes talking about with regards to having a portfolio something you would get after signing with a agency?

Of course.

For freelance internet models the use of tablets for portfolio presentation is widespread. If you go to a model/photographer networking event in the UK virtually everyone there will be keen to flash their stuff on their devices - both models and photographers. Not a single printed book in sight.

IMO the model the OP referenced won't be accepted by a reputable agency - her best bet would be freelance internet modelling so a tablet is good advice for her if the use of technology in the US is anything like it is in the UK. Investing in a printed book would be bad advice for her particular circumstances IMO.

Jul 05 16 02:40 am Link

Photographer

DanninTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would lean to a tablet for castings and have a comp card to leave behind.

May be off topic but it drives me nuts when people think to be a 'model' you have to do fashion. There are tons more opportunities then wearing someone's clothes.  Forgive me if it was not you but I seem to recall Jules NYC saying in a thread that you don't have to do 'fashion' to be a model.  Be the cover person for Bob's HAVC in Springfield, be the next Flo from Progressive Insurance, etc.

No one can tell your friend that she will not be accepted at an agency but the agency themselves, who knows what look they may have just had a request for.  Are there better agencies for fashion over commercial? Of course.   Advertising has had a massive swing in the last few years and you are seeing far more 'real' people.  She will never know until she tries.

Jul 05 16 04:53 am Link