Forums > Model Colloquy > Tips that never get old

Model

TEGAN

Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Good day all wonderful artist friends on MM smile

I really do not post on here much...and certainly not my own thread...feeling a little nervous! tongue

Anyways, I have modeled on and off for close to a decade. I have some amazing artist friends in this industry who have given me SO much advice and assistance from the time I was brand new, baby fresh and kind of silly....to now! I ALWAYS need to keep improving, and reminding me of the things that will never hurt your career (in this thread I am referring to the career of modeling) but will only help. Timeless advice I constantly reflect upon.

I wanted to thank every single one of my artist friends who take time out of your day to help me, and genuinely want to see good things for others. I have met some of the most amazing people in my life- from Australia, USA, to South Africa, and now a lady in Paris who is just lovely.

So, now I'm putting a good old loaded (but NOT negative! yay!) mumbo jumbo here and ALL artists are MOST welcome to jump in...because I need feedback from each and every one of you to improve my game. We all know we can't change our age, our genes etc...here I am trying to focus on the positive, the things I CAN change, and for the better smile

So I've heard some awesome advice for models in these forums (show up, on time, be clean, don't be drunk or stoned, be polite, curteous and easy to get along with). Those things are GREAT advice...and many of my wonderful friends have added piles on top of that that I keep a notebook on, like improving at any craft smile

So...I'm laying it out there for you all! How can we keep improving our game, even after many years active?
Ok....what I actually am doing is speaking for myself and no one else. How can *I* keep improving, improving, improving my game?

I am on the fence about staying freelance and/or signing with an agency who has asked to represent me. So my question also would be are there huge differences in improving your modeling craft the freelance way vs the agency way?
What are universal ways that would improve me regardless of my type of representation or my ideal genre?

I'd love anything any of you got....I just want to reiterate that the point of this post is not to tell models (including myself) what we are doing wrong- heck, we can't turn back the hands of time or make our legs longer wink or to be critical, I just want tips, tips, tips....and then maybe toss them in a jar or something wink
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
TIPS MOST APPRECIATED! :diet tips, exercise vs having an active job, health, bad things for the body, undergarments, fingernails, how to save money and when, tips for traveling models, tips for working models who are also parents, teeth bleach, acne flare ups, dealing with mean people who seem to have a problem with your choice of employment (meanness online or IRL), skin, nails, toenails, hair cuts/colors, furthering education, what to ALWAYS bring with you to a shoot even when you are not told what to bring, eating healthy on the go, time management, luggage, what to pack when traveling, "which is better, the model with the perfect look who showed up...late, drunk, on the wrong day, swearing and throwing things...or the lovely, kind, respectful, hardworking, helpful and GOOD model....but unfortunately she is 20 pounds over her last port shot and just broke out that day"...those types of "which is better?" scenarios...umm anything else you can think of? Healthy snacks while driving, how to help out our fellow artists and help make their days a bit easier?

Just ANY tips, AT all, that can make my life, craft and art better, and to be able to help others have a better working day, even if I am only able to accomplish a small amount of that.
I thank each and every one of you for bringing such beauty to life.

I am not every artists/agents/clients dream model. I get it and don't kid myself for a second. I'm 5'5 and pushing 30. But the jobs I've had have been AMAZING. I may not have been born with it or been a natural, but I was so, so happy just to work and work nonstop until we accomplished something we are all very proud of smile

Love,
Tegan

Aug 21 16 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

Tegan, this sounds more like a critique request. You'll probably get a response in the critique forum:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/8

You may consider making your request more brief.

-Kris

Sep 01 16 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

-Tegan- wrote:
Just ANY tips, AT all,

Don't eat the yellow snow!

You are welcome, Tegan!!! smile

Sep 01 16 08:59 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

Courtice, Ontario, Canada

LOL!!! Thanks guys...that last one cracked me up

Sep 03 16 03:33 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

udor wrote:

Don't eat the yellow snow!

You are welcome, Tegan!!! smile

Is that where the huskies go?

Sep 03 16 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

-Tegan- wrote:
Just ANY tips, AT all...

Love,
Tegan

Keep off the tracks! lol
Fred wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080730/21/48911ae4c802a.jpg

Sep 04 16 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Account Dead dead dead

London, England, United Kingdom

Confucious said:
"A man who goes to bed with an itchy arse wakes up in the morning with a smelly finger."

Is that what you're after?

Sep 08 16 05:43 am Link

Model

Blarn Marnell

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

goneferal wrote:
"A man who goes to bed with an itchy arse wakes up in the morning with a smelly finger."

Like, obviously she shows up to a shoot having showered! tongue As a non-photographer, I'd like to say, wear/bring a nude g-string and strapless bra. And just keep workin'. You're only as good as your current work.

Sep 09 16 12:33 am Link