Forums > Model Colloquy > Editorial photos used for intl campaign...

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

So here's my issue:

Last year I was booked by my agency to shoot an editorial for 200€ for XYZ brand. There was a contract saying the pictures could be used only
for this purpose.

Fast forward to a few months ago: a friend sends me... A picture from this editorial that is now being used as a campaign in the Flagship store of XYZ brand. I contact my agent, he does some research and he says that the client told him I'd signed another contract the day of the shoot saying I was giving up all rights to the photos. Now this is where I totally screwed this up: when I signed I didn't properly read it (it was in French) and I thought it was the same contract my agent had sent me earlier. My agent is angry with me and outraged the client did that. He obviously doesn't want to argue with him, but manages to negotiate 3 free services for me with that brand (total worth if I had to pay for it: about 800€).

Fast forward to today: a friend sends me the same photo now advertising.... The newly opened Flagship store in Paris.

Now, to be honest I'd dropped the case a few months ago because I thought I should have just questioned signing that second contract the client gave me; that it was basically my bad and that I had acted stupid. But now I'm somewhat pissed off - this new store looks really nice and expensive and a campaign like this is more in the range of 2000-4000€ than 200€+800€ services.

Would you move on or try to do something about it? I know my agent doesn't want to lose the client but he can't forbid me to post this on my social media channels... I have quite a following and it would certainly stir shit up. But is worth it?

Aug 24 16 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

They will probably shrug it off, unless you have a huge following, and can influence public opinion.

Aug 24 16 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

You admit to signing the second contract giving up your rights to the images. Unless you can prove fraud on the part of the company that had you sign the second contract not sure your in a position to demand anything from the company. Next time have all contracts in English ( assuming that is your mother tongue) and read carefully before signing.

On a good note you seem to be the face of this company.

Aug 24 16 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Yeah, that's going to be a very, very tough one since you signed the papers.

I won't comment on what my thoughts would be if I saw someone
complaining on social media about agreeing to the terms of a deal
and then crying foul.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's bullshit and dirty. But it's done.

Aug 24 16 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:
Fast forward to today: a friend sends me the same photo now advertising.... The newly opened Flagship store in Paris.

Now, to be honest I'd dropped the case a few months ago because I thought I should have just questioned signing that second contract the client gave me; that it was basically my bad and that I had acted stupid. But now I'm somewhat pissed off - this new store looks really nice and expensive and a campaign like this is more in the range of 2000-4000€ than 200€+800€ services.

Would you move on or try to do something about it? I know my agent doesn't want to lose the client but he can't forbid me to post this on my social media channels... I have quite a following and it would certainly stir shit up. But is worth it?

talk to your agency and have the re-negotiate the amounts again. tell them & the client you will have to see a lawyer about options if they don't fix it.

the client and your agency have a relationship. the client should have realized that they were taking advantage. besides, you don't sign anything unless the agency has pre-approved it before the shoot. that was a royal screw up that should not happen with an agency deal. the agency should push harder on it.

Aug 25 16 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

In spite of your behavior, this is a fight for your agent to battle not you. Its their client and their problem.

In the future, I would recommend that only your agent review and sign any contract or model release for you, and this will require that all contracts are presented and reviewed by your agent before the shoot day.  You should never sign a contract yourself.

Aug 25 16 09:54 am Link

Photographer

DanninTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am no lawyer but... you may not have any rights since you signed them away but you agent may very well as your representative and these were non negotiated usages.

Not to through fuel on the fire but what if competing company ABC wants to hire you but sees that you worked already for XYZ.

Aug 25 16 10:29 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:
So here's my issue:

Last year I was booked by my agency to shoot an editorial for 200€ for XYZ brand. There was a contract saying the pictures could be used only
for this purpose.

Fast forward to a few months ago: a friend sends me... A picture from this editorial that is now being used as a campaign in the Flagship store of XYZ brand. I contact my agent, he does some research and he says that the client told him I'd signed another contract the day of the shoot saying I was giving up all rights to the photos. Now this is where I totally screwed this up: when I signed I didn't properly read it (it was in French) and I thought it was the same contract my agent had sent me earlier. My agent is angry with me and outraged the client did that. He obviously doesn't want to argue with him, but manages to negotiate 3 free services for me with that brand (total worth if I had to pay for it: about 800€).

Bonjour mademoiselle,               

I'm so sorry to read this--I would consider writing to your agent again and thanking for their help. I don't know French law and really don't want to know it all, however, there is a principle in British colonial law that was established in a remote part of their empire. Land dealers approached chiefs, negotiated and then got them to sign a contract, which was an X. A judge in another colony, another country, where the land court was based, invalidated the contracts, on the grounds that the chiefs couldn't possibly know what they had signed--this was an 1820s decision.

Look to see in French law, the rulings on contract deception. Particularly, the presentation of a written contract that differs from what was finally orally agreed. You may then wish to seek counsel. I would the research for you in French but I have client editing work to do.

Aug 26 16 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Sounds like a great addition to your resume. Make it pay off with future gigs.

Aug 26 16 07:14 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

WisconsinArt wrote:
Sounds like a great addition to your resume. Make it pay off with future gigs.

Thanks for seeing the positive side of things but no, campaigns don't usually book other campaigns.

Thanks for the input guys. I definitely won't commit the same
Mistake again!

Aug 28 16 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Think about getting a new agent.  Your current one seems to think that the client is more important than you and is forgetting that he/she is YOUR employee.  Loyalty matters!

Aug 31 16 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Magda every market is different albeit here across the pond nearly all models with agency representation are typically required to use a voucher. A voucher is essentially an invoice that’s signed by the model and the client after the model completes a job, and the model needs to bring one to each and every booking to make sure they get paid.

All usage rights are typically enumerated in the voucher as well as a release for said use... Model's sign only this single document unaltered... If the clients insists on making alterations to a voucher the model is required to contact his/her agency immediately on how best to proceed here...

btw, this has be SOP for decades here in the US however everything changes once one is working in another country...

Whatever you do please remember that using social media to rant about a client and or individual is considered at best rather unprofessional... Ours is a very small industry and implications of potential libel is a very gray, slipper slope... you've be warned...

All the best on your journey...

Sep 09 16 06:34 am Link