Forums > Model Colloquy > Share "Helpful things photographers say to models"

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Let's look at the positive side. Models, can you share stories of the way photographers dealt with you/talked with you, that helped you feel comfortable and do a good job? Anecdotes? Suggestions?

Aug 27 16 08:54 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I've received so much helpful guidance from photographers.

Although right now, after the divide from the other threads, it feels too soon to mention it, (feel like the negative posters will think we are mocking them or ranting, or whatever it is they feel us non abusive people are doing in posting in regards to this.)

Jen
p.s. apologies for my run on sentences.

Aug 27 16 09:04 am Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
Let's look at the positive side. Models, can you share stories of the way photographers dealt with you/talked with you, that helped you feel comfortable and do a good job? Anecdotes? Suggestions?

Most of the things photographers on this website say in an attempt to help models business/career-wise are actually unhelpful to detrimental, particularly these days when so many of the working shooters have left.

But it is always very helpful and appreciated when I am sent a detailed callsheet, and directions to the location, and when photographers have an understanding of lighting and angles and can direct me in the small ways that can take a photograph from "good" to "excellent".

People who try too hard to put me at ease make me feel less at ease.  Basically I think photographers can be the most helpful by focusing on learning and perfecting the craft they do as opposed to giving advice on something they have never done, and don't really know the nuances of.

Aug 27 16 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Victoria Elle wrote:

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

Most of the things photographers on this website say in an attempt to help models business/career-wise are actually unhelpful to detrimental, particularly these days when so many of the working shooters have left.

But it is always very helpful and appreciated when I am sent a detailed callsheet, and directions to the location, and when photographers have an understanding of lighting and angles and can direct me in the small ways that can take a photograph from "good" to "excellent".

People who try too hard to put me at ease make me feel less at ease.  Basically I think photographers can be the most helpful by focusing on learning and perfecting the craft they do as opposed to giving advice on something they have never done, and don't really know the nuances of.[/quote

Wow I tatally agree.  Wonderfully said

Aug 27 16 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I don't know if models appreciate it, but..

I am either silent (and that has been a complaint) or I get chatty. Since I cannot get generally chatty, as I choose to not get into a models business, and if I get engrossed in something interesting my focus on the job slips. (some models lives are far more interesting than the damn shoot), so when I get chatty, I tend to explain why I am doing something.
"If it bends bend it, so please just..."
"Please do not move an inch because with these hot lights and what I am doing, the slightest move will change where the shadows fall"
"If you cannot see the light, then I am not getting a catchlight in your eyes (not always true), so as you move make sure that you can see the main light."
"Can you move 6in. to the ... because it is not working from the point of view of the camera."

Becomes a bit of a modeling and lighting, and photography class, at least to the best of my knowledge.

And occasionally a model will say, "well if that is the effect you want, then you should put the light over there". I hate that, especially when she is right.  wink  wink  wink  wink

Aug 27 16 04:25 pm Link

Model

CharlieMW

Dallas, Texas, US

I really appreciate feedback during the shoot. If someone is telling me what poses they like or expressions they dont want to see, it helps me be more productive. I really enjoy it when a photographer can make me laugh. My best work comes from shooters that can capture me at those moments.

I also appreciate shooters that seek the right level of collaboration. If youre paying me for my time, you get what we agree upon. If we are doing TFP, then we both need to contribute ideas. I dont want either of us to feel they are not getting value for their effort. Shooters that take the extra effort to remove as much ambiguity as possible put me at ease.

Aug 29 16 07:50 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Jen B wrote:
I've received so much helpful guidance from photographers.

Although right now, after the divide from the other threads, it feels too soon to mention it, (feel like the negative posters will think we are mocking them or ranting, or whatever it is they feel us non abusive people are doing in posting in regards to this.)

Jen
p.s. apologies for my run on sentences.

What 'divide' do You keep speaking of and why raise the issue, if there is one at all, within such a positive thread when Your concern has it's own? https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/961501

Sorry, but I just don't see it...

Aug 29 16 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
What 'divide' do You keep speaking of and why raise the issue, if there is one at all, within such a positive thread when Your concern has it's own? https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/961501

Sorry, but I just don't see it...

Off this thread's topic!

The thread only asked models to mention the helpful and positive things photographers have said, not what they shouldn't say  or what was not helpful.

Aug 29 16 11:15 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Aug 30 16 05:22 pm Link