This thread was locked on 2016-08-28 07:50:14
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > This will get interesting...

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Aug 27 16 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah -- that's part of Freedom of Speech.  It's his right to "protest" in this way.  Whether I agree or not is not the issue.

Aug 27 16 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

This can be very interesting.
Let me remind the country that we are an experiment.
We started out claiming all are equal while having slaves.
The founding fathers were idealist yet pragmatist.
We found the country or we eradicate slavery be we ain't doing both concurrently.
We did the former snd kicked the can down the road.
We are making progress.
Are we perfect. Nope. Will we ever be. Nope.
Do we try--yeh.
Can we do better--affirmative.
Tuskegee Airmen--the worked to defend a country that discrimated against them. They proved their mettle.
We have a credibly black president protected by SS agents trained to take bullets.
We had a credible black candidate near the top of the polls and who received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, spoke at Prayer Breakfasts, etc.
There is a lot of injustice that is not race based.
BTW What is meant by people of color if not black?
Sorry if I expose me ignorances 😊

Aug 27 16 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Interesting. This man was adopted and raised by a white family.

He's in a $114 million contract (not counting the $12 million signing bonus).

I wonder what, in his mind, it would take to not be "oppressed"?

Aug 27 16 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

I'll answer that question after you answer this one:  if he was a poor nobody, what are the chances that we'd be discussing his opinions right now?

Aug 27 16 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

A noble cause, but a poor plan IMHO. Is he stuck doing this doing this indefinitely going forward? No matter how right the cause, this type of protest will create backlash from some people, and growing tension in his life that will drain his energy and  diminish his athletic performance.

Aug 27 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Refusal to engage in mindless rote displays of 'patriotism', in the interest of making a statement. Sure. Why not?

Aug 27 16 01:40 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Are you saying that his money protects him from racism? Or that because he doesn't personally feel the toll of oppression in our country he shouldn't be using his place of fame as a platform from which he can speak about it?

Aug 27 16 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

My guess is he knows full well his wealth won't protect him if he's stopped by racist police aka most and when he goes into White communities or stores he has the same kind of target on his back broke Black men do.

Aug 27 16 03:12 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Why anyone would voluntarily support any government is beyond me. It's the most irrational fiction ever invented.

Aug 27 16 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Sorry, but he is not claiming to be oppressed. He is attempting to make a statement about the oppressed.

The French Revolution against the aristocracy (USA is way overdue for similar) was essentially started by some aristocrats with empathy, morals and a conscience (I know almost multiple oxymoron's). The poor were too busy trying to survive.

Cheap shot, but I do understand it.

Aug 27 16 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

roger alan wrote:
A noble cause, but a poor plan IMHO. Is he stuck doing this doing this indefinitely going forward? No matter how right the cause, this type of protest will create backlash from some people, and growing tension in his life that will drain his energy and  diminish his athletic performance.

If a protest does not create a backlash, then it has not hit a nerve, and is simply being ignored.

That is why the masters permit very, very controlled marches and protests. They are meaningless, do nothing, and the sheeple feel better that they think they have actually done something. Allows the harmless release of pressure before the pot boils over.

Aug 27 16 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

I'll answer that question after you answer this one:  if he was a poor nobody, what are the chances that we'd be discussing his opinions right now?

I think while he is free to say what he wants it may not be a very strong business move.  I cant imagine he will get alot of endorsement deals out of this.  Also given his background and his salary it seems to be a bit of crocodile tears being shed.

Aug 27 16 04:05 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Herman Surkis wrote:

If a protest does not create a backlash, then it has not hit a nerve, and is simply being ignored.

That is why the masters permit very, very controlled marches and protests. They are meaningless, do nothing, and the sheeple feel better that they think they have actually done something. Allows the harmless release of pressure before the pot boils over.

Herman, As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I think Malcolm X was more right in his analysis than Dr. King. Occupy was the closest thing we have had to a real force of change in a long time and they shut it down no problamo. It makes me very sad.

Aug 27 16 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

You should read again what he said, he never mentioned that he was personally oppressed, and his race and who he was raised by makes his comment no less valid.

Colin Kaepernick;
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people & people of color."

Aug 27 16 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

LOL

Maybe taking a stand for others who don't have the bully pulpit?

IDK. Human behavior can be very complex.

BTW, I think Tom Brokaw said that the Chinese were the only ones that laws were specifically made to discriminate against. Didn't fact check that. But there is an MLK Day, a black history month, but there is no Asian/Oriental history month, week, day, hour, minute or second, millisecond, nanosecond or femto second. Not to weep nor worry.

Back to blacks, I think that Peter Jennings wrote a book about finding out that blacks get stopped routinely. Even one of his cameramen was harassed until he threatened to bring camera crews to document it. Peter asked why did my they tell him--the black crew said it was so routine as not to be noteworthy! Wow! Not good.

I think the former chief of Orlando Police Department got into political hot water because one of his rookie officers did a night stop of a black lawyer whose mother was a commissioner who called the chief at home at night.

While we're having non serious discussions on MM about this type of non contentious stuff, let's ask about Jews and Germans. Blacks and whites you can see a difference. Jews and Germans were often indistinguishable!

Let's learn to live with each other and ourselves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of … icide_rate
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of … icide_rate

We ought to learn to tolerate ourselves and each other!

Aug 27 16 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Part of the problem is that the credibility of the message has been seriously corrupted via its dishonest exploitation by other wealthy prominent individuals, in the sole interest of their own personal gain.

While Kaepernick may be sincere in his statements, variations on those same statements are being expressed by the most corrupt and dishonest elements of society, who are also masters of propaganda.

Aug 27 16 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
Why anyone would voluntarily support any government is beyond me. It's the most irrational fiction ever invented.

Well, I don't have nuclear weapons and would like a government entity to run nuclear defense for me collectively since I can't do it individually.

Come to think of it, I don't need a fire engine all the time just on occasion so I think some sort of group effort makes more sense for me.

Etc. I guess out of some sense of self interest, economies of scale, etc. I support pooling of resource. United we are stronger. Does this rationale make sense to you?

Let me put it in even simpler terms. I do not want to learn to be a policemen, fireman, EMT, nor do I want to learn how to build cameras, lights, design PhotoShop, pose, do hair, makeup, sew for wardrobe, etc. So I do some sort of team work. Sometimes it is called government.

Aug 27 16 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

Herman, As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I think Malcolm X was more right in his analysis than Dr. King. Occupy was the closest thing we have had to a real force of change in a long time and they shut it down no problamo. It makes me very sad.

Two things effect real change.   Violence and money.   The Montgomery Bus boycott changed things because it cost the company money.   That said I understand how some might see this.   A wealthy Black man decrying America when this nation is why he's successful.   Some might see that as disrespectful but my guess is he has family members who may not have been as lucky as he.   Some who can point directly to unfair treatment by other Americans and its police and practices.   

When people aren't made to feel and believe they are full citizens should they still stand in support of that nations flag?

Aug 27 16 04:37 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

FFantastique wrote:

Well, I don't have nuclear weapons and would like a government entity to run nuclear defense for me collectively since I can't do it individually.

Come to think of it, I don't need a fire engine all the time just on occasion so I think some sort of group effort makes more sense for me.

Etc. I guess out of some sense of self interest, economies of scale, etc. I support pooling of resource. United we are stronger. Does this rationale make sense to you?

Let me put it in even simpler terms. I do not want to learn to be a policemen, fireman, EMT, nor do I want to learn how to build cameras, lights, design PhotoShop, pose, do hair, makeup, sew for wardrobe, etc. So I do some sort of team work. Sometimes it is called government.

If you think I don't understand the need for collective organizations to provide for all sorts of community needs, then you misunderstand my statement. With the exception of nuclear defense, all these things you mentioned already exist, created by voluntary cooperation between people outside of government. I doubt that without government forcing universal taxation on their citizens, there would be any nuclear devices in the world, not such a bad thing.

Aug 27 16 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

On further thought:  The only part of this that is of any concern to me is the fact that Kap "took his stand" {tongue} while wearing his 49ers uniform.  Is it his personal stance or is he representing the entire organization?  Like I said, I have no problem with him choosing to sit through the anthem, but the 49ers are "my team", and unless the organization is choosing the same stance, I'd prefer if he'd throw on a cloak or something during the anthem.

Now...
>>>>>  Tangent Alert  >>>>>
This will get interesting...
What's with the obscure titles for threads?  Don't people realize that that inhibits participation?  Why not start a thread more to the point, like "Star QB Sits During National Anthem"?
>>>>>  End Tangent  >>>>>

Aug 28 16 07:41 am Link