Forums > General Industry > Photographers - Is this a fair deal?

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hell no.

However you parse it, this still amounts to you getting paid before the shoot. I would view it the same as sending you the money I was going to pay you before you got here. We'd have to have a special relationship for me to take a gamble like that. And these days, around here, I'd say the odds would not be in my favor.

Sep 19 16 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

CrystalWatkins wrote:
Lets say you have a model coming in out of state. She asks you to pay for her ticket but her policy is to work extra hours free first before she does ANY paid work until she can cover the cost of the plane ticket. This means you pay absolutely nothing extra than what you were planning on paying her to begin with. Is that unfair?

There's a reason I'm asking, but I'm not going to get into it. I just want your opinions.

Seems reasonable to me. And I pay all of the models I work with. Never did a TFP and I don't lift a lens unless I'm getting paid for it, too. That said, your arrangement seems quite fair.

Sep 19 16 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

CrystalWatkins wrote:
With the exception of the plane ticket, nothing would be up front.

The ticket is Your payment therefore it is an upfront cash outlay by the Photographer.

Sep 20 16 06:20 am Link