Forums > Model Colloquy > Body Painting and Body Hair

Model

David L

Macon, Georgia, US

I'm going to be involved in a body painting event next month and have a general questions.  I haven't been paired with a body painting artist yet, should happen within the next two to three weeks, and I know that ultimately the question should be asked of the particular artist. But I would like to have some input just to prepare myself going in.   Is the removal of body hair  a necessity to facilitate the body painting process.  I'm not overly hairy but am in line with the typical male and body hair patterns, dark hair on legs, arms, chests, stomach, and underarms (no back hair, thank goodness).  I'll be wearing a thong so not worried about the pubic area.  I don't have a problem with shaving for the event.  It does grow back. 

Here's an image that gives a bit of depiction of may hairiness.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160419/18/5716d82d946a2_m.jpg

So if any models or body painters have any input I would be most appreciative.  And if you have any tips in the hair removal process I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

Sep 12 16 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

I think that's an answer that only your artist can answer.  He/she knows what they have in mind and what would work best.

Sep 12 16 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Hey David I look forward to the results. Seems like a wonderful project for you.

Just make sure you are tested for an allergic reaction to the paint before the shoot and that the artist has good experience doing body paint.

A model friend of mine had a horrible reaction to a photographer who body painted her with the wrong paint and permanently scared her arms, legs and breasts.

Sep 13 16 08:40 pm Link

Model

David L

Macon, Georgia, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Hey David I look forward to the results. Seems like a wonderful project for you.

Just make sure you are tested for an allergic reaction to the paint before the shoot and that the artist has good experience doing body paint.

A model friend of mine had a horrible reaction to a photographer who body painted her with the wrong paint and permanently scared her arms, legs and breasts.

Thanks for the tip.  I really hadn't thought of that aspect before.  I'll be careful.

Sep 14 16 06:48 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I take it you're gonna be at Living Art America?  That's a really cool event and a few of my friends will be there.  I wish I could go, too.

I kind of specialize in shooting body painted models and my studio is part of one of the only businesses in the world that specialize in body painting people (by that I mean we have many body painters, muas, and models on staff in a commercial building).

In every instance that I know of men are requested to shave the body hair before being body painted.  For whatever reason I never asked why, but I suspect that the paint affects the hair in much the same way that mascara thickens eyelashes.

https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14305277_10153774592387536_1313966208891806582_o.jpg
from our monthly Sunday Body Paint Bash event for photographers

In addition to what Risen Phoenix mentioned, make sure that the artist is using materials that are specially made for body painting.  There are lots of products out there like kids fingerpainting kits, Temrpa paint and stuff that you'd find in a craft store that are labeled "Safe for Skin" and "Non Toxic" that will cause real health problems if used as body paint.  Even most of the Halloween makeup kits that are in the store are dangerous to use as body paint,

Sep 14 16 11:03 am Link

Model

David L

Macon, Georgia, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
I take it you're gonna be at Living Art America?  That's a really cool event and a few of my friends will be there.  I wish I could go too.

SayCheeZ, thanks for the tips.  I didn't realize how involved the process is.  I definitely will look out for my safety.  And buy a ton of razors.  I wish I was going to Living Art.  I applied as a model, but with no body paint modeling experience I new it would be a long shot.  This is a local event but with many talented artists.  I'm hoping this will be the start.

Sep 14 16 01:32 pm Link