Forums > General Industry > Photographer Submitting to Modeling Agencies

Photographer

Marlo Montanaro

Eatontown, New Jersey, US

I'd like to get on some modeling agency's lists of photographers who shoot portfolios and tests with prospective models in my area.  I'm told some of the smaller agencies do use local photographers when approached by new models.

Are there particular requirements for a submission?  What things are agencies looking for in a submission?  Are there particular norms for who pays who?

Sep 13 16 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Most agencies have open call days where new talent including photographers can come in and show their work.   11x14 prints might be a good idea to have but some photographers use iPads or iPad sized tablets.   Before you go I would research the agency by their website.   http://models.fordmodels.com/models/431    It would be most likely you would be offered new models to shoot from their development board.   Compare what you have to what they show.   I can't critique your work here but a photographer is often judged by the models he displays.   Agencies need to know that you know who should be shown.   In other words are your models those who could be signed or more 'average' people.

I'd say eight to twelve shots is all you need.   One suggestion is to shoot fashion shows to meet fashion level models and make sure you have a good MUA.   Little to no CS after.   This is important.   Height, weight, age, skin and overall look mean a lot.   There simply is no point trying to produce solid fashion work with short models or women with poor figures.   Its doubtful you'd get paid.   Agencies tend not to pay for tests.   They have long lists of willing shooters looking for tests.   Another idea is to show a few men.   Lots of boutique agencies in NY.   Do a Google search and look at their website.

Sep 13 16 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Look up an agency and mimic what they have, send email or show up if they have open calls for photographers and make sure you say you don't seek payment. If you email include attachments to your work website or social media. I'd have prints but I've never been asked. I usually just show them my instagram and that's enough for them. And if they say they're not testing at the moment but they'll keep you on "file" sometimes they do keep you on file!

Sep 13 16 12:59 pm Link