Forums > Photography Talk > Yongnuo 565 EX II - loose connection?

Photographer

DaveTongPhoto

Santa Clara, California, US

I have a Yongnuo 565 EX II speedlite - it's about 2 years old. Recently it's started misbehaving; sometimes it won't charge up, the pilot light stays green, even with fresh batteries - eventually it flashes up the 'out of battery' light and quits. It seems to be a loose connection somewhere - by pressing the case I can sometimes get it to work; but even then sometimes the light will go from red back to green.

So, is this a common problem? Can I do anything about it?
I hate to throw things away unnecessarily, but is it worth even trying to get it repaired, when I can get a replacement for $80?
I don't currently have the budget for a true Canon light.

Sep 16 16 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Maybe a bad connection -
    - possible flash capacitor failure or bad charge pump transistor or firming thyristor / transformer
Circuitry is similar to other brands - service manuals for many are online

Component cost is probably a couple of dollars if you can identify the failed part

It's not worth paying to get it fixed but that doesn't mean don't try.

http://speedlights.net/community/topic/ … or-defect/
http://uu-tech.blogspot.ca/2012/01/fixi … 565ex.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Xh18LODic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfw3skJh48g

Sep 16 16 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I dont have that exact model but I can attest to the experience that trying to contact Yongnuo for customer service repair has been a joke. They do what they can to discourage you sending them in at all. I haven't decided yet if its enough but for now I have eaten two units stuck in full power on the 560iv models. The experience has made me a one time Yongnuo enthusiast to someone who would suggest caution on their products if the gamble is sound or not.

That doesn't help you though.
It does sound like you issue might just be something that can be rigged to operate. I would try to widen the metal battery connection in the door. perhaps even stuff a small piece of paper under it to try and stiffen up the connection. I would also try cleaning the connections a bit.

Those options might be preferable to what seems to me to be a 60ish dollar mailing venture to see if you ever get your unit back. that's pretty much my interpretation of what I was told by Yongnuo and getting the contact information to do that took some doing. If it helps this is the email of the folks I sought help from. [email protected] Shipping address:

Shenzhen Yong Nuo Photographic Equipment Co., Ltd

Address:2-C506 Saige Science & Technology Park, North Huaqiang Rd, Futian District, Shenzhen, China

Phone: (86) 0755-839-88996

Attention: Luo Hongcheng

Sep 16 16 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

A lot of times I've found that this kind of behavior turns out to be bad battery connections. Pull the batteries out and carefully inspect the terminals of the batteries and of the flash. Even if they look good, polish all of them with a clean pencil eraser and test the flash to see if the erratic behavior continues.  If so, then -

If you have the skills, pull the batteries out of the flash, connect them together externally and connect that rig to the internal connections in the flash body. Just make sure that the correct voltage polarities are used - THIS IS IMPORTANT: it might be possible to damage the flash by screwing up the battery voltage the flash sees.

With this jury rig, test the flash to see if the intermittent behavior continues.

If you have questions, PM me.  Good luck.

Sep 16 16 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

DaveTongPhoto

Santa Clara, California, US

I removed the four screws around the shoe to see if anything was obvious. I found that the blue wire wasn't connected to the board (though I can't be certain that didn't happen because I opened it) - I reconnected it with no joy.

I couldn't see how to open it further, so I've ordered a replacement.

Sep 20 16 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

sniff.

well you tried.

Sep 20 16 11:04 am Link