Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Best remote backup service for HD pics

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Hi guys,

Any suggestions for remote big store backup service for my pics?
I've google drive and drobox but the space is not enough.

What about your experience?

thanks
w.

Sep 27 16 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Think about Amazon Glacier if you don't access your backed up photos often.

Sep 29 16 07:28 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

if you're talking web resolution, there are numerous online sites like carbonite etc., however personally, with over 15TB of RAW images over the past 10 years, trying to use a cloud storage system is not feasible for me. First, the time to actually back that much stuff up is astronomical, second, a restore would take just as long.
There are numerous options, even including LTO tape which are more economical and which allow a fairly quick restore time versus cloud.

Oct 02 16 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Amazon will let you ship drives to whichever datacenter you need for a quick initial upload.

Companies I've worked with deal in petabytes of data, and use this option in lieu of millions of dollars of local storage.

Oct 03 16 06:47 am Link

Photographer

JHLePhotography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Backblaze & Dropbox are two wonderful services you're able to utilize.

Oct 03 16 07:37 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

walterfantauzzi wrote:
Any suggestions for remote big store backup service for my pics?
I've google drive and drobox but the space is not enough.

Although with Google Drive you can actually have plenty of space even with the option for unlimited storage I recommend LTO tape.

Oct 03 16 08:25 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Roy Hubbard wrote:
Amazon will let you ship drives to whichever datacenter you need for a quick initial upload.

Companies I've worked with deal in petabytes of data, and use this option in lieu of millions of dollars of local storage.

I've actually been in the storage business for over 20 years. While cloud is an option for some people, for most, financially it still doesn't work economically. I sat with one such customer last Wednesday at dinner. His company weighed the option of backup to cloud versus sticking with tape. Tape costs them $20k a year and the cloud option for the same retention was around $130k.
Regardless of how fast you get your data to the backup source...that's not the problem...how fast/effectively you can restore IS.

Oct 03 16 02:26 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
Regardless of how fast you get your data to the backup source...that's not the problem...how fast/effectively you can restore IS.

Actually modern LTO devices are faster for both things even compared to a gigabit connection for cloud backup (which I doubt many cloud providers support). And also worth mentioning - with tape you don't share your data with company X, media is cheap and for the moment still nothing can beat its longevity.

Oct 04 16 12:12 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

anchev wrote:

Actually modern LTO devices are faster for both things even compared to a gigabit connection for cloud backup (which I doubt many cloud providers support). And also worth mentioning - with tape you don't share your data with company X, media is cheap and for the moment still nothing can beat its longevity.

I agree for the most part. The challenge doesn't affect most small businesses but when it comes to petabytes of backup data, many times managing tape can be quite expensive and a hassle. I regularly architect end to end data protection schemes for customers which puts the most useful/valuable data on the right medium at the right price.
Typically though for small businesses, LTO is pretty cheap. You don't even have to be at the latest LTO level if you want to save money. You can get used LTO3 or 4 drives/media cheap and rotate tapes offsite and have a comprehensive backup strategy. You can augment that with Microsoft Shadow Copy snapshots too if really paranoid.

Oct 04 16 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Count me in with a vote for LTO tape for stable, reliable, offline storage.

In my (non photography) business we have almost a petabyte of online storage (~700TB if I recall).  We cycle through that in about a year of projects.  Every project, upon completion, goes to an offsite nearline storage as a staging area for offline backups.  The project is cleaned up and the files marshalled and readied for tape.  Two tape archives are created, one for in-office storage (for quick restoration if we need the old data) and another that goes into secure, climate controlled storage offsite.

Every few years we will bring entire projects back online to check data integrity and output to new tape media (usually we do this once the old media is 2 generations behind our current tape system.. we're on LTO 7 right now I believe).  This keeps everything current and working with (relatively) new tape drives.

There's also a daily offsite, but online, multi-tiered backup system.

For hobbyist and small-scale professional photographers I'm not sure that you need to go through *all* of that machinery.. but I would definitely recommend 3 things:

1) do hourly backups to local drives but not inside the same box (ie. an external drive of some sort).  There should be tons of software available to do this automatically without any user intervention
2) do regular offsite backups to physical media.  How regular depends on how much data you're willing to lose in exchange for the convenience of not having to do the backups and transport.  You can probably get away with a rotating set of hard drives that are stored in some other location (other office, safe deposit box, etc)
3) archive finished work to tape.  You can still keep it online for easy access but for peace of mind a tape in a safe deposit box or some sort of secure storage is best.  Just make sure to actually check the tapes from time to time and transfer them to new media.  There's no sense having a tape if you can't find a working drive.

How much time and money you want to spend on this is dependent on how likely you think you are to suffer a data loss and for what reason, balanced against how much damage would be done to your business in the event of a loss.

I've found that online services are problematic for a few reasons: 1) you don't really have control of your data, 2) transfer speeds can make backing up and restoring a horrendously slow process and 3) you need to make sure the service provider is going to stick around.

Oct 04 16 08:14 am Link