Forums > General Industry > Getty sues Google over content "piracy"

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

http://press.gettyimages.com/getty-imag … nst-google

I will refrain from expressing my opinion on either party. This forum encourages polite language and civility...

Sep 29 16 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Odd: an American firm suing another American in Europe because they got no traction with such a suit in the US.  We truly live in interesting times.

Sep 29 16 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

This lawsuit seems to be less about who is right, and more about who is less wrong.

Unfortunately, one side is going to have to win ... Which could set a legal precedent based on being unethical and legal, or ethical and illegal.

Sep 29 16 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Zack Zoll wrote:
This lawsuit seems to be less about who is right, and more about who is less wrong.

Unfortunately, one side is going to have to win ... Which could set a legal precedent based on being unethical and legal, or ethical and illegal.

Nuke some popcorn, get a seat, and watch the T-Rexs brawl. Google was founded on a base of piracy; Getty uses piracy as part of their business method. A pox on both their sordid casas.

Sep 29 16 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

The real shame is that both companies work in a way that devalues their own product, and one is going to get The Nod.

I assign my photo students a photographer to write a research paper on every semester. I like to pick someone that is relevant to them, and usually throw out several rising stars of the art world. Sometimes I make students do their report on someone *I* want to learn more about.

Students need to track down a physical book. I work closely with our library, and they've scored lots of rare(only a couple hundred copies) books for us.

I require a book because books are planned - either by the artist, or by the publisher. Somebody decided what was the best representation of what the artist was doing at the time, and what image order got the point across the best.

Online, you basically get Greatest Hits. There is no rhyme or reason other than popularity, and not everything shows up. Avedon's In The American West and Richardson's Lady Gaga are two of the bestselling books of all time by well-known photographers ... But you can go through twenty pages of Google Image Search and still not see some images from these books.

In the case of the Avedon book, most of the 'plot' images don't show up, and it looks like a book of rednecks and a bee guy.

And this happens because 'democratising' something means boiling it down to the lowest cmon denominator. We all understand Bee Guy, so that pops up the most, despite being least relevant to the work.

Greatest Hits. As a grunge kid, it pisses me off that the best-known Soundgarden and Nirvana songs are Black Hole Sun and Smells Like Teen Spirit; the former is nothing like the rest of the catalog, and the latter is probably the poppiest, catchiest version of the same song Kurt wrote seven times before.

When you make everything equally available, ranked by interest, what you necessarily get is a scale weighted by people that don't understand the work.

It's an even bigger problem now, since your Average Joe doesn't buy books or albums anymore, and finds work online based on popularity ratings.

In thier own ways, Getty and Google are both stifling artistic knowledge and creativity; one on purpose, one by accident.

I don't think it matters a lick who wins the case - the fact that one of them will be dubbed 'right' may very well have a tremendous negative impact on future artists and pros.

Sep 29 16 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

pot and kettle

Sep 29 16 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
There is no rhyme or reason other than popularity, and not everything shows up.

Not exactly.

Though Google has been found to manipulate search results for the most part results are based on good SEO or search engine optimization.  Any manipulation on behalf of Google not withstanding it works like this.

SEO basically falls into two categories.  Internal and external.  Internal is what gets you in the door.  In the end it's really nothing more than good content, or at least content that people want to see and are interested in.  It should be well written because Google will rank pages based on how well they are written and built.  Image names, descriptions, captions and even the names of folders that they are placed in can have a great deal to do with how well those images rank in Google Search. 

For whatever reason it seems that few people will actually take the time to do this despite the enormous influence it can have on your site's ranking.  It's also no secrete that ranking in Google search will have an impact on income.

For example.  If a photographer placed his photo of a close up of a zebra hide in the folder (photography/animals/african-amimals/zibras/zebra-hide-close-up.jpg) Notice that zebra came before close up in the image name. That tells "Big G" that zebra is more important than either hide or close up. People link back to things they like. In the end it's about good quality content that is target to what people or more often certain people will like. The link below is just such an example.

photography/animals/african-amimals/zebra-hide-close-up.jpg
http://www.barrykidd.com/photography/an … ose-up.jpg

The link above tells Google not only is it a close up of a zebra but also tells them that it's "photography of African animals".  A close up of a zebra to be more specific.  All of that is described in the name of the link.

Either way the image above would more likely show up in Google Image Search and the page it resides on will be more likely to show up on the main search page than say, an image named (21e395_5b60ca3612c34fde8997de5a0d6e78f4~mv2.jpg) that was placed in a set of folders such as the one below.

media/21e395_5b60ca3612c34fde8997de5a0d6e78f4~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_213,h_320,al_c,lg_1,q_80/21e395_5b60ca3612c34fde8997de5a0d6e78f4~mv2.jpg
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/21e3 … f4~mv2.jpg

The second image above simply has no meaning to Google, any other search engine or more importantly any potential customer looking for a photographer or specific type of content.  Then, if there is no caption, not always needed. No description and no alt tag it will never be found.  That's just a fact of life.

Though many of my older pages also have this issue.  Including my bio page image which reminds me it's time to update that thing sometime today but I've been working my SEO for a few years and have gotten much better results.

---

After internal SEO we have external SEO which has more to do with popularity.  It really centers around backlinks.  Even so it's not always how many as some backlinks can even hurt you.  Most however can help. However, not all backlinks are created equal. Backlinks from .edu sites are worth way more than say, a link back from (bubba's pictures of shit dot com). A link back from Harvard.edu is nothing short of solid gold Google magic and can catpolt your page ranking.

In the end if you want something to be found create well written content as well as naming the images and folders that those images reside in appropriately.  Just using many members of MM for example.  I have 6 images that show in the top results of Google Image search for "nude photography" and I'm not really even a nude photographer.  I just play around with it once or twice a year.  Either way it's all because of proper SEO.  It's most certainly not because I'm a fantastic nude photographer.  If we follow the rules and use proper SEO we will be found.  It's simple as that.

Sep 30 16 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Motordrive Photography wrote:
pot and kettle

Absolutely. And neither can be described accurately without using foul language.

Sep 30 16 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Barry,

Your response is well-heard, but I don't believe you caught the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I was unclear.

You're describing the effect of the algorithm on a 'fresh' photographer, who basically just has the web presence they built themselves.

Migrant Mother is one of the most famous photos ever taken - Top Ten, easy. It appears in almost every photo, sociology, and American history text book, and a good chunk of non-scholastic books as well.

The reason for this is partially because it is a good photo, but also because all that FSA stuff is public domain. So it gets used over and over, and written about because everyone knows it from the books, and it snowballs to the point where her government work drowns out her personal work.

If you want to see what Lange was making for herself, you pretty much need a book, or you need to go see a show. Or you need to go directly to her gallery's site - those lesser-known images get lost in a sea of Migrant Mothers when searching.

I use Greatest Hits as an example because like relevance links, it is lowest common denominator. Bowie's Low is critically regarded as his most important work, but only one song was a hit - and it was included specifically so the record could have at least one hit single. It doesn't even make it on every compilation.

Google's system, taken to the absolute extreme, would essentially make Low, and Lange's personal work, invisible unless you knew the name of the songs/images.

You could/can find works you know, but it is very hard to be exposed to work you haven't seen before.

That is the problem with democratising information. Or as Carlin put it, "Think about how stupid the average person is ... And remember that half of them are dumber than that!"

Sep 30 16 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Barry,

Your response is well-heard, but I don't believe you caught the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I was unclear.

No actually I did get your point.  That's what all the gibberish above was about.  Basically speaking anything can be found, anything, if it's done right.  People just don't care to do it right.  Even big companies. Even huge companies.  They only care about home page or landing page search results.  Not individual pages or items.  If they were to really do it right then those pages and items would easily found and over come what seems to be staggering odds.  Sadly so few business or people actually do it.

Sep 30 16 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

This Getty claim is NOT about piracy. It is also NOT about infringement. It is about web indexing and search results.

What Getty are getting at is a much more exotic point than simply piracy and / or infringement. If anything their case in this instance is a lot closer to the Perfect 10 v. Google case that ran through the American courts between ca 2006 and 2010 though even that one alleged at least facilitation of infringement.

In Perfect 10 the court ultimately ruled in Google's favor. While it leaves some questions open [relative to US law] the bottom line is that the Court upheld important policies of fair use and freedom online and resisted Perfect 10's plea to put copyright owners completely in charge of how and when search engines and other online intermediaries can provide their users with links to images.

Getty are only in the European courts on this because the European courts have already been after Google for some time as a, indeed THE, dominant player in the search engine field and Europe does not like dominant players in any business enterprise to run the field. Even when Google are not excluding competitors directly they may be seen to be doing it indirectly by reason of their sheer size which, in theory at least, disporportunately attracts advertisers, users, ect. and where Google can, it is alleged, manipulate the search results to optimise their own business advantage over other search engines.

I don't know that Getty will get a lot of traction on their specific claims in the European courts any more than Perfect 10 did in the US courts.

Studio36

Oct 01 16 05:07 am Link