Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Excellent CA model facing eviction. Advice?

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Time to put MM to good use again. Pretty much In her own words [I've edited a bit to leave out names, correct spelling, redacted irrelevancies, etc.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Thank you my friend. And thank you for the help of advice.

No, I'm not on the street but I was given a notice of pay or be evicted in 3 days.

I have help from a program called section 8 . Due to disability I have from past I have had... the help of this program.

The apartment manager knows that they have to comply to rules and regulations that have kept failing at every inspection so far since I've lived in this unit. To make the story short, the program didn't make a recent payment now the manager is retaliating against me giving section 8 false accusations and lies to throw me out of the program if I don't pay for the damages of the part of the inspection that the program failed.

Good side is the program has never had problems with me or my family. I've never missed a payment and they understand that this manager he done nothing but bully me and harass me over and over. In fact I've had some falls in the apartment that required myself to land in the hospital. And not once did I press charges against the property management.

I am truly disappointed in the judicial system that I cannot defend myself unless I have been given a legal court notice of eviction. Or unless I sue them. I just don't want to cause such drama bit this lady (manager) is causing my life a living hell. I truly don't appreciate her slandering my name and giving false accusations that BTW I forward email messages to all the workers in section 8 that shows her lies and accusations aren't truthful.

I've had to do everything in writing due to temporary memory loss. So as you can see it's a legal battle. I am not happy at all and I certainly don't appreciate the emotional abuse my whole family is been through.

Any sort of advice would be well appreciated."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This just received within the last 3 hours.

Model is in San Diego, CA area.

Not my expertise. I don't know the lay of the land, the lawyers, tenant-landlord law, evictions, and model is obviously not seeking a high-priced attorney!

So my first question:
* do we on MM have any competent real-estate attorneys in San Diego ready, willing and able to take a case pro bono or possible legal time for shoot?

Alternatively:
* if she proceeds without an attorney, how do you advise her to fight this given her self-reported limited mental capacity to retain information? In other words, triage it down to basics.

Lastly:
* What question(s) should I be asking that I've not asked?

I'll aim her to look at this so try to make this simple for her.
You can have a more complex version for me.
I am not trying to be condescending--I just realize that with her self-reported disabilities we need to make accommodations.

Prayer is also an appropriate option IMHO! But I don't like to rely only on an Almighty! ;-)

Oct 07 16 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Oct 07 16 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Different municipalities have different tenants-landlord laws.

I had evicted someone before. It's a very costly process. Most landlords do not like to do that unless it's necessary.

Are you sure your model friend is telling you the whole truth?

Oct 07 16 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

"Fair market rent" is a HUD calculation -- problematic in areas with rising average rents

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc … ng/396650/

"many landlords of buildings in nicer neighborhoods will do anything to keep (section 8) voucher-holders out."

Proposed Changes to Section 8
http://www.wsj.com/articles/obama-admin … 1466031245

HUD considers change to Section 8 rents
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs … story.html

"unintended consequences"

Oct 08 16 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Wow, there are any number of models that have a tough time with rent. And I know many that have faced eviction, especially in L.A.

Also, in Cali there used to be a number tenants could call to inquire on Landlord tennent issues to get free legal advice.  However, some questions remain unanswered.

1. Does this individual get free rent or a reduced rent with section 8 housing.

A. I do know that if the tenant is paying any money to the landlord and there is a dispute that would be adjudicated in landlord tenant court then the tenant would be obligated to pay the owed rent into an escrow account until judgement is made one way or the other.

2. With the Americans with Disability Act is there no employeement this person could seek with reasonable accommodation?

3.  It does not seem logical that a landlord would seek to evict a tenant if this was her first non payment of rent, and if the error is tied to that rent being paid by a governmental agency.

4. Also if the place is un fit to live in according to the tenant based on failed inspections and conditions which would cause her to be injured ( a series of falls) I would think it would be in the best interest of the tenant to find better section 8 housing.

There is something here that doesn't really add up in my mind.

Oct 08 16 03:04 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

FFantastique wrote:
" throw me out of the program if I don't pay for the damages of the part of the inspection that the program failed."

Every section 8 eligible property must pass an initial HUD inspection to qualify, If the rental unit has failed a subsequent HUD inspection due to damage caused by the Tenant then the Landlord has every right to evict.

Oct 08 16 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
There is something here that doesn't really add up in my mind.

like a white knight on the east coast asking advice to help a mysterious person on the west coast who is in a predicament where none of us know all the details or have the ability to actually make a difference.
not to mention its a situation where a simple online search will turn up way more resources that can help than this forum can produce.

ya doesn't quite add up in my mind either.

Oct 08 16 08:58 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

FFantastique wrote:
Excellent CA model facing eviction. Advice?

She should honor her agreement and pay her rent in full, on time, or she should move out within 3 days of her notice that she is in violation of her agreement. This formal 3-day notice is the first step of the eviction process as required by law here. It happens for a reason, as the beginning of a last resort under law. It is not "bullying." It is not "slandering." It is the beginning of a formal eviction. These laws are in place for a reason.

If anyone feels sorry for her and believes she should be paid for because she's an "excellent CA model" then they can offer her a job or volunteer to pay her rent for her. It's not right to force the property owner to pay for her irresponsibility by default. She should leave immediately so the property owner is free to re-rent the property to someone who will pay what they promise for the roof over their head. If she doesn't want to pay her bills, then she should go find someone else who will pay for her. Her living expenses should not be forced upon the property owner or the taxpayers.

Forget the Sec. 8 stuff. She should get a real job and learn to support herself.

As a woman who should be an adult by now, her whiney excuses are contrived and pathetic. She should be ashamed.

It is she who has failed to live up to her responsibilities and "made her life a living hell." It is the failure of the apartment manager to not see this situation in advance and let her move in in the first place.

FFantastique wrote:
* What question(s) should I be asking that I've not asked?

Why is she so adamant about living somewhere for free and gaming the system at someone else's expense?

Perhaps she can move to Florida and live in your house? That's another way you can provide for her.

TFP?

Oct 08 16 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Sect. 8 is a very good deal for the landlord. Generally HIGHER rents, paid by taxpayers, than landlord would typically get. Few landlords would evict a Sect. 8 tenant without very good reason. There are major drawbacks to losing a Sect. 8 tenant, including (bureaucrat sloth) the delay of obtaining another Sect. 8 tenant.

Oct 08 16 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Every section 8 eligible property must pass an initial HUD inspection to qualify, If the rental unit has failed a subsequent HUD inspection due to damage caused by the Tenant then the Landlord has every right to evict.

True as to initial inspection. And the inspection is STRINGENT.

Oct 08 16 09:09 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

The three day notice is just the first step in obtaining an eviction--It's a document that has to be part of a legal filing in court. She can still stay and fight and if she has proper legal ground she will win. Having issued a three -day myself it is important that the amount owed is correct--an error in date or an incorrect calculation essentially resets the process.

So the three-day needs to be examined.

If and only if she is on a strong ground and she decides to stay and if she is disabled, as long as she can prove that damages are caused by Landlord neglect she is in a strong position. However, if any of the three day amount is just--the landlord can start over by putting in the correct amount in another three day--California really gives a renter a lot of chances to make things right but if you legally owe money to a landlord, eventually, the sheriff will knock on the door and post a five-day notice and that one has the backing of the county.

Oct 08 16 09:24 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

27255 wrote:
She should honor her agreement and pay her rent in full, on time...

Be kind!
For starters let's get the facts.
Her self report is that she has never missed a payment--did you read that? [I ask, not unkindly] There is no request for free.
Also model reports disability--I don't know that nature, scope and cause but consider the possibility that she could have been damaged by a drone strike during a shoot (as one of my tog friends was?), or maybe she served (war can do devastating things to mind and body) and maybe she already has done her job!

Even if she was willing to work she might not have the component skills, accommodations, transportation, etc. Look at slavery--people worked hard and were treated unfairly, not paid, killed!  We have human trafficking. Again not fair. Accusations of unfairness are not necessarily false.

My initial contact and conversations span 4 years and about 425 PM, texts, calls, emails. Not bimbo. I have good reason to believe this is legit! I didn't share all that initially because I've been advised to be concise. I can't tell the WHOLE truth and be terse LOL

Anyway, the point is--even if she were totally lazy and incompetent she makes great images and we should provide positive advice, moral support and enable her sustainability so she can contribute to contribute to the art we love to do!

So 27255, if you wish to re-read the original post and revise yours, you're welcome to do so!

ALL:
Thank for the links, love and support extended to our anonymous colleague. Much appreciated.

Oct 08 16 09:41 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique wrote:
Be kind!
For starters let's get the facts.

That would be nice.

FFantastique wrote:
Her self report is that she has never missed a payment--did you read that? [I ask, not unkindly] There is no request for free.

If she is a good tenant who lives up to most of her responsibilities on a regular basis, then why is she being evicted? It would be foolish to go through the time and expense of a formal eviction for only one late payment.

FFantastique wrote:
Also model reports disability--I don't know that nature, scope and cause but consider the possibility that she could have been damaged by a drone strike during a shoot (as one of my tog friends was?), or maybe she served (war can do devastating things to mind and body) and maybe she already has done her job!

Right. Who knows what the truth is based on her skewed and emotionally loaded letter?
By the nature of her litany of excuses and implied legal threats, I am not convinced of her credibility or honesty. It sounds like she is trying to manipulate an enabler or White Knight with her crocodile tears and puppy dog eyes.

FFantastique wrote:
Even if she was willing to work she might not have the component skills, accommodations, transportation, etc. Look at slavery--people worked hard and were treated unfairly, not paid, killed!  We have human trafficking. Again not fair. Accusations of unfairness are not necessarily false.

My initial contact and conversations span 4 years and about 425 PM, texts, calls, emails. Not bimbo. I have good reason to believe this is legit! I didn't share all that initially because i'be been advised to be concise. I can't tell the WHOLE truth and be terse LOL

You should offer to provide a place for her to live! Maybe that would be the humane thing to do, from your point of view?

FFantastique wrote:
Anyway, the point is--even if she were totally lazy and incompetent she makes great images and we should provide positive advice, moral support and enable her sustainability so she can contribute to contribute to the art we love to do!

So 27255, if you wish to re-read the original post and revise yours, you're welcome to do so!

Thank you! I think I understand your point. You are trying to help a model you like who is in distress over her living situation and her inability to pay her bills.

Charity begins at home smile

If she is a model I know, who needs help because of a real and serious disability not of her own making, then I might be willing to help her myself. I believe in helping people who are unable to take care of themselves.

Oct 08 16 09:59 am Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

BE  KIND to people who are disabled.  She probably had falls  because of heavy medication.  This is common.

HUD inspection can be pretty strict and demanding!!!!!!!.   ALSO   destruction  to the property may be the main cause of the problem... Details not clear here........  A section 8 voucher has  a long waiting list & is not easy to obtain.  Some landlords can be pretty hard on Section 8 tenants !!!!!

This organization in  SAN  DIEGO  may help.  *********** :  "  Disabled and need help? - arc-sd.com  " ‎******
Adwww.arc-sd.com/‎
We provide services for people with disabilities in San Diego.
3030 Market St, San Diego, CA‎ - (619) 685-1175‎ - Closed today · Hours??

Google has several other organizations in SD willing to help disabled clients. with rent problems

Oct 08 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Oct 08 16 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee wrote:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ … ornia.html

So there it is. Thank you Mr. Lohkee. Can't be any more clear than that.

Landlord-tenant law in California is generally not complicated, but the rules must be followed exactly. Otherwise, the judge sends everyone back to square one to start over.

When attempts to manage the situation to an amicable solution have failed, then the legal recourse is to move on to a formal eviction. Square one of an eviction is properly serving the 3-day notice. That's when judges, courts and lawyers become involved.

Hyperbole and untethered speculation only serve to make things more complicated.

Nolo is a good website.

Oct 08 16 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

27255 wrote:
So there it is. Thank you Mr. Lohkee. Can't be any more clear than that.

Landlord-tenant law in California is generally not complicated, but the rules must be followed exactly. Otherwise, the judge sends everyone back to square one to start over.

Hyperbole and untethered speculation only serve to make things more complicated.

Nolo is a good website.

I agree. I've relied on Nolo for years (and I were a landlord once upon a time in Cali). Getting people out can be an extremely painful and expensive experience. I'm not sure how Sec-8 plays into this process 'cause I wouldn't touch Sec-8 as a landlord with my worst enemy's dick. Suffice to say, I don't believe much of the OP's story. Actually, I don't believe any of it.

Oct 08 16 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee wrote:
I'm not sure how Sec-8 plays into this process 'cause I wouldn't touch Sec-8 as a landlord with my worst enemy's dick. Suffice to say, I don't believe much of the OP's story. Actually, I don't believe any of it.

big_smile

It sounds like you speak from experience wink

cho tình yêu của tôi đến người yêu-pie bạn (meaning your sweetie-pie)

Oct 08 16 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

27255 wrote:

big_smile

I have my scars from battles fought. smile

Oct 08 16 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
Sect. 8 is a very good deal for the landlord. Generally HIGHER rents, paid by taxpayers, than landlord would typically get. Few landlords would evict a Sect. 8 tenant without very good reason. There are major drawbacks to losing a Sect. 8 tenant, including (bureaucrat sloth) the delay of obtaining another Sect. 8 tenant.

Are you kidding me? Most landlords would not touch sect 8 with a hundred feet pole.

HUD/HA are some shit ass bureaucrats, they think they are doing the landlords a big favor.

You will like sect 8 if you have a shit hole property that can't rent to decent people.

Oct 08 16 11:33 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Multiple strokes.
Non ambulatory--walker.
Working not option under the circumstances.

Reporting required.
Landlord not liking! LOL

Perfect payment record.

Other complications.

Oct 08 16 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

27255 wrote:

big_smile

cho tình yêu của tôi đến người yêu-pie bạn (meaning your sweetie-pie)

Tôi hiểu và tôi sẽ. Cảm ơn bạn. (hope I got that sorta right. My Vietnamese really sucks). smile

Oct 08 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I ain't no scum-suckin' lawyer, but I have been a landlord for a couple of decades (and in California a long time ago).  I won't presume to give your FB friend any legal advice, but I'll provide some general observations:

...  I hate these threads, where we hear only one side of the story.  Sure, she can tell us how horrible her landlord
     is, but in a courtroom (at least), the other side gets to tell their side of the story.  As bad as your friend's story
     sounds, it is quite likely that the landlord's story can be just as bad (or worse).

...  Therefore, the side that is better prepared has the best chance of prevailing.  "Preparation" can have
     many forms:
     ---  E-mails & letters printed out (at least four copies of each),
     ---  Photographs (with date stamps),
     ---  Believable witnesses,
     ---  City documents & maps,
     ---  Past complaints against the landlord (from the city),
     ---  etc.
     Collect your documents.

...  Whatcha gonna do if/when your landlord exaggerates or lies?  Be prepared!

...  In general, presenting opinions in a courtroom is next to worthless.  "He said - She Said" tends to cancel each
     other out. 

...  Usually, landlord-tenant laws tend to favor the tenant.

...  In my experience, every city has an attorney who tends to represent tenants and who tends to
     terrify landlords.  These tenant attorneys are terrific at finding a settlement that gets tenants (and their
     attorney) paid.  Find that lawyer.

...  I don't know but I would guess that the vast majority of landlord-tenant disputes are settled out of court.

Oct 08 16 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

FFantastique wrote:
Multiple strokes.
Non ambulatory--walker.
Working not option under the circumstances.

Reporting required.
Landlord not liking! LOL

Perfect payment record.

Other complications.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys

Oct 08 16 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
like a white knight on the east coast asking advice to help a mysterious person on the west coast who is in a predicament where none of us know all the details or have the ability to actually make a difference.
not to mention its a situation where a simple online search will turn up way more resources that can help than this forum can produce.

ya doesn't quite add up in my mind either.

Well I am from San Diego was born in Pomona and grew up in San Diego for 36 years ( Pacific Beach to be specific) Attended college at Pepperdine University and graduated in 1975 with a degree in Political Science.  I worked for Kenneth Hahn chairman of the County Board of Supervisors in LA. Then went to law school in San Diego where I graduated in the late 1970's. 

Please don't assume... you know what that makes you.

And btw,there has to be more to the story, it just doesn't add up.

Also, let me offer you some geographical help, though you could look this up on the internet...Minnesota is located in the Northern area of the Midwest not on the East Coast.

Oct 08 16 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Have her talk with her city councilor:
https://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil
The often times can point out services to help with these types of situations.

Also reaching out to the SD Tenants United can help. They may know of a better living situation for the same or close rent:
https://www.facebook.com/SDTenantsUnite … e_internal

Oct 08 16 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I won't presume to give your FB friend

What's FB? :-)
This is an MMer.
She is prepared with documentation to refute the landlord's side.
And she indicates that the landlord DOES have it out for her--reason unknown.

e-mails,
photos,
video,
police reports,
payment history,
etc.

Now having dealt with enough beautiful people I've learned that sometimes, through no fault of their own, their natural beauty can't be hidden. This makes women in church hold their husbands tighter, and a whole host of adverse reactions.

Motive unknown--this is merely speculation.

Not asking me or anyone for money.

As you can imagine, after our hour-long discussion today, it's much more complicated! LOL. Are we surprised?!

It's like how men of old did duels and [stupidly] killed one another--it's now about honor.

Yes, I don't like one-sided threads either and sometimes I offer to talk to the other party and mediate matters. I've been at the courthouse (in Tampa) asking mother of the other party (who ran into my friend's vehicle) to come negotiate a settlement.  The courthouse clerks are like "Are you crazy?" So it's not like I don't put myself out there to help make the world a calmer, better, fairer place.

ALL: Thank you all for your contributions based on the relatively skimpy information provided.  I've given her a few ideas to follow up on that she thinks are good. I think she has clean hands and suggested media might not be inappropriate. It may not be newsworthy intrinsically as these type of situations occur routinely--but  you never know--may be a slow news day. :-)

Look, I'm biased towards beauty, what can I say? ;-)

I'd much rather work on a case like this to preserve beauty--than do post production LOL.

Oct 08 16 05:21 pm Link