Forums > Photography Talk > In need of test looks for a young model

Photographer

Keddy Davis

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Hi guys...

I have been approached by a new model who would like to test with me, which isn't that unusual... However, this model in particular, is only 13 years old.  Normally I wouldn't work with a model this young, but I think she has great potential, and I would like to help her out on her journey to stardom, but the only problem is, I have no idea what style of photos to take.

I know insisting that her folks chaperone her is a no-brainer, and I'll also have my MUA with me to cover my back in case I get accused of stuff... However, I'm struggling to come up with a style appropriate for someone her age...

I was wondering if any of you guys could help inspire me.

Thanks in advance

All the best
Keddy

Oct 12 16 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Teen Vogue editorial

Keddy Davis wrote:
I have been approached by a new model who would like to test with me, which isn't that unusual... However, this model in particular, is only 13 years old.

BTW there's nothing unusual about a model being 13.

Oct 12 16 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Look at Old Navy ad's, or ad's along those lines..

Go from there.  Lifestyle for the win.

Oct 13 16 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Why not ask the model or her parent what type of images she is looking for. 
I would think some headshots and fashion or environmental but asking would my first option.

Oct 13 16 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

It depends on what your 13yr (maturity) looks like?

Teen Vogue isnt the best go-by because they book older girls (19-21) quite often. I personally know a few girls that have shot editorials for Teen Vogue and one of them was 23.

You cant help her to "stardom" especially if you have no idea how to shoot her.

Oct 13 16 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Robert Morra - RGM

Kingston, New York, US

Maybe do a sit down and find out more about who she is and what her like's are. Always seems to help when trying to display one's true looks in a photo shoot. I think for the most part if your trying to help her establish as portfolio, most magazines or agency's want a basic full body shot of sorts and little to know makeup head shot look I believe. Clean and fresh so they can "see" the individual.

Oct 13 16 08:46 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:
Why not ask the model or her parent what type of images she is looking for?
I would think some headshots and fashion or environmental but asking would my first option.

If she approached you, then I would most definitely ask what her expectations are.

Procedurally, I would also ask the parents and model--but separately. Doesn't have to be formally but when you catch her a moment out of earshot of his/her parents ask for him/her to tell you what THEY, the model, wants.

e.g. models do not always agree with their parents. Model may not have off the top of their head but let them know your'e open to input.

Also, ask what they don't want. Where are the limits?

Another idea I sometimes implement mainly for artistic purposes but for archival purposes is a time lapse shot of the shoot!

It's kind a neat to see a shoot at high speed. It also provides some evidence, like the police car dash cameras, of what happened and what didn't happen.  If you're super concerned, then include audio.

Is she on MM? If so, ask her to make a list of images she wants.  She may be below the age limit but maybe her parents manage it for her. One mother told me that she lied about her daughter's age. I'm not the ethics police.  I see that the minimum search age is 16 so I think that's close to the lower limit.

Do some investigation/survey/homework and ask other models in that age range who might be willing and able to articulate some ideas that might be useful. Sometimes--something someone says in response to a prompt, even if tangential, triggers the answer--that I wouldn't have come up with on my own!

Often, I'll ask models to show me what they want--don't just tell me. I have tons of ideas but I want to see what's in their heads! This has encouraged me to do all kinds of outlandish research I otherwise would not! LOL.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/183399 This is from a tog but it's titled "Concepts I'd like to try." Maybe your model can do likewise/similarly--electronically or hard copy.

Then if you truly have NO idea. I would do the basics for a comp card:
* full length
* head shot
* various facial expressions.
* different attire/costumes.

That should be enough to get you both warmed up to be able to figure out "What's next?"

If not, then reschedule another session.

If this is a star, then you'll probably be doing multiple shoots along the next few decades.

Has any of this been helpful? ;-)  It's OK if it isn't. We're sort of shooting in the dark not having seen her nor knowing much about her personality, goals, etc. What you've provided is kinda sketchy (not in a perjorative sense, just minimal--like a low-res JPG when we want full RAW.).

Oct 13 16 09:37 am Link

Model

Faye D

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I started at 12 and am currently 17. I have always run into this conflict with photographers. Usually they let me and my parents pick our concepts.
Majority of mine are either alternative or fairy / witch type. I also have glamour, boho and fashion like polyvore.
Look through some pg store catalogs like forever 21, hot topic, claires, jc penney ect.
Hope this helps!

Oct 13 16 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

K I M I L Y wrote:
Teen Vogue editorial

BTW there's nothing unusual about a model being 13.

Thanks for the link. Why didn't I think of Pinterest big_smile.

Maybe my choice of words was wrong, I meant it was unusual for me to get approached by models that young lol.

Thanks again

Oct 13 16 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

PhillipM wrote:
Look at Old Navy ad's, or ad's along those lines..

Go from there.  Lifestyle for the win.

Ooh, I like those.

Thank you smile

Oct 13 16 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

Mary Durante Youtt wrote:
Why not ask the model or her parent what type of images she is looking for. 

I did ask the model what she wanted for her book, but she had no idea and wanted me to give her some ideas. Thanks for your response smile

Oct 13 16 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

Yosh Studio wrote:
It depends on what your 13yr (maturity) looks like?

Teen Vogue isnt the best go-by because they book older girls (19-21) quite often. I personally know a few girls that have shot editorials for Teen Vogue and one of them was 23.

You cant help her to "stardom" especially if you have no idea how to shoot her.

Yeah, that was probably the wrong choice of words lol, my bad.

She does look quite young, she definitely looks like a young teen, that's why I'm struggling a little.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated smile

Oct 13 16 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

RGM-photography wrote:
Maybe do a sit down and find out more about who she is and what her like's are. Always seems to help when trying to display one's true looks in a photo shoot. I think for the most part if your trying to help her establish as portfolio, most magazines or agency's want a basic full body shot of sorts and little to know makeup head shot look I believe. Clean and fresh so they can "see" the individual.

You raise a lot of good points. I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks big_smile

Oct 13 16 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

FFantastique wrote:

If she approached you, then I would most definitely ask what her expectations are.

Procedurally, I would also ask the parents and model--but separately. Doesn't have to be formally but when you catch her a moment out of earshot of his/her parents ask for him/her to tell you what THEY, the model, wants.

e.g. models do not always agree with their parents. Model may not have off the top of their head but let them know your'e open to input.

Also, ask what they don't want. Where are the limits?

Another idea I sometimes implement mainly for artistic purposes but for archival purposes is a time lapse shot of the shoot!

It's kind a neat to see a shoot at high speed. It also provides some evidence, like the police car dash cameras, of what happened and what didn't happen.  If you're super concerned, then include audio.

Is she on MM? If so, ask her to make a list of images she wants.  She may be below the age limit but maybe her parents manage it for her. One mother told me that she lied about her daughter's age. I'm not the ethics police.  I see that the minimum search age is 16 so I think that's close to the lower limit.

Do some investigation/survey/homework and ask other models in that age range who might be willing and able to articulate some ideas that might be useful. Sometimes--something someone says in response to a prompt, even if tangential, triggers the answer--that I wouldn't have come up with on my own!

Often, I'll ask models to show me what they want--don't just tell me. I have tons of ideas but I want to see what's in their heads! This has encouraged me to do all kinds of outlandish research I otherwise would not! LOL.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/183399 This is from a tog but it's titled "Concepts I'd like to try." Maybe your model can do likewise/similarly--electronically or hard copy.

Then if you truly have NO idea. I would do the basics for a comp card:
* full length
* head shot
* various facial expressions.
* different attire/costumes.

That should be enough to get you both warmed up to be able to figure out "What's next?"

If not, then reschedule another session.

If this is a star, then you'll probably be doing multiple shoots along the next few decades.

Has any of this been helpful? ;-)  It's OK if it isn't. We're sort of shooting in the dark not having seen her nor knowing much about her personality, goals, etc. What you've provided is kinda sketchy (not in a perjorative sense, just minimal--like a low-res JPG when we want full RAW.).

No no, you've been a big help... A lot of what you said makes perfect sense. I don't know much about her myself, and as far as I'm aware, she doesn't have any online portfolios, and i didn't want to post the images she sent me.

Thanks so much, you've been really helpful smile

Oct 13 16 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

Faye Pinkston wrote:
I started at 12 and am currently 17. I have always run into this conflict with photographers. Usually they let me and my parents pick our concepts.
Majority of mine are either alternative or fairy / witch type. I also have glamour, boho and fashion like polyvore.
Look through some pg store catalogs like forever 21, hot topic, claires, jc penney ect.
Hope this helps!

Thanks, I never thought of that. I'll definitely have a look smile

Oct 13 16 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

I think it's a good idea to have her parents there....I would actually require that.

As far as looks....whatever she has in her wardrobe is a good place to start.  My niece was 13 only a little over a year ago, and thanks to Instagram and Google, most 13 year olds have a better sense for current fashions looks than the average MM photographer would.  wink

Oct 15 16 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Keddy Davis

Eyesso wrote:
I think it's a good idea to have her parents there....I would actually require that.

As far as looks....whatever she has in her wardrobe is a good place to start.  My niece was 13 only a little over a year ago, and thanks to Instagram and Google, most 13 year olds have a better sense for current fashions looks than the average MM photographer would.  wink

Oh yes, I'm definitely insisting that she's accompanied by her parents. and I 'm going to have someone with me also.

I think you're right to be fair. Probably better for her to show off her own style smile

Oct 16 16 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

You don't know. She and her 'rents don't know. Why not have her visit agency(ies). If she actually does have potential they'll give her an idea of the first shots she needs. Watch out for the usual scams by pseudo agencies, of course.

Oct 19 16 10:04 am Link