Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Boutiques vs. Designer Pulls

Wardrobe Stylist

Shelle oReagan

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Hi-I have been styling seriously for about 5 months and have managed to have all my shoots published from this time.  I usually pull directly from designers, because of my non big-city location.  For the last editorial, I pulled from two boutiques, one very high end, in addition to individual haute couture designers.  For the boutiques, is it usually best to just credit them, or is it possible to credit both in the individual item credits?  One boutique requested that I do so, but the other did not specify.

Oct 16 16 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Shelle oReagan wrote:
Hi-I have been styling seriously for about 5 months and have managed to have all my shoots published from this time.  I usually pull directly from designers, because of my non big-city location.  For the last editorial, I pulled from two boutiques, one very high end, in addition to individual haute couture designers.  For the boutiques, is it usually best to just credit them, or is it possible to credit both in the individual item credits?  One boutique requested that I do so, but the other did not specify.

As well as crediting the clothes you also need to credit the boutique otherwise what do they get out of letting you pull from their shop!

Oct 16 16 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Darren Brade wrote:
...you also need to credit the boutique...

+1

btw, trust that you are having the garments professionally cleaned prior to return...
This is (and has been for decades) an industry standard protocol...

Also seriously try to get Pull Letters from the photographer and or the AD on the pending shoot so you can gain assess to a much broader array of items... On one shoot where I was a team member the jewelry pieces arrived by an armed courier... Glad it wasn't my CCard being held as collateral...  lol 

Oh, Pull Letters need to be signed by the Editor of the target publication authorizing the editorial...

Hope this helps...

Oct 16 16 05:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Shelle oReagan

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

+1

btw, trust that you are having the garments professionally cleaned prior to return...

Also seriously try to get Pull Letters from the photographer and or the AD on the pending shoot so you can gain assess to a much broader array of items... On one shoot where I was a team member the jewelry pieces arrived by an armed courier... Glad it wasn't my CCard being held as collateral...  lol 

Oh, Pull Letters need to be signed by the Editor of the target publication authorizing the editorial...

Hope this helps...

Yes, I have gotten pull letters before, but editors of magazines have taken so long to get them to me that they aren't of much help.  I offered to get the beaded/lace/embroidered gowns dry cleaned, but the designer declined.  I find usually with gowns of this quality, they don't want to risk an unfamiliar cleaner.

Oct 17 16 09:50 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Shelle oReagan

Any other published stylists have advice on the crediting?

Oct 17 16 09:51 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Shelle oReagan wrote:
Any other published stylists have advice on the crediting?

I normally just credit the designers when submitting to magazines.But that is because I mainly pull from pr showrooms and their main priority is to get the brands/designers they represent in magazines or on celebrities. When I pull from boutiques, I give them credit.It helps them get recognition and exposes them to potential customers.

Oct 20 16 09:57 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

+1

She didn't ask about returning the clothing. Also most boutiques, designers, and showrooms don't sell the items that they are lending out.The only time I have seen a dry cleaning requirement in a contract is if the wardrobe got dirty while out on a shoot or while a client was wearing the garment.This also depends on the type garment (if it's a gown most places will just make you pay a cleaning fee).

Oct 20 16 10:06 pm Link