Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Noblesse Oblige--what does it mean in MM context?

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Oct 17 16 06:42 am Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

Nothing?

Oct 17 16 11:12 am Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

If anything it would mean the experts have an obligation to teach.

Oct 17 16 11:13 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

"...notably to provide good examples of behaviour or to exceed minimal standards of decency."

To me it means that those who have massive knowledge, expertise/skill, maturity, beauty, and other resources, tangible and intangible, have some nominal responsibility to deal kindly with others who, for whatever, reason, are less fortunate, who are at the beginning of their journey, etc.

This is not to suggest that we condone bad behavior but that we make reasonable allowances for people who may not know proper protocol and etiquette and rather than summarily label them as rude, and castigate, block and malign them, that we take some time to educate, mentor, coach, and bring them up to speed. This may mean taking corrective action, consequences, etc. that takes time and effort, but done with a more parental than punitive attitude!

I think I first came across the word in movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Pimpernel

Oct 19 16 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

In MM Terms:
Generally, being respectful and supportive in all interactions with other members--

Some specifics:
Posting information in the forums that is Informative rather than inflametory
                                                                Helpful rather than condescending
                                                                Accurate rather than confusing

Keeping one's word When agreeing to show up for a shoot
                                 When paying a model, whether in pictures or cash

Giving credit where credit is due

Respecting both the letter and the intent of the law relative to copyright

Volunteering for service in the administration of the site or, if not able to do that, at least maintaining a positive
          attitude toward the site and its members both in the forums and in one's conversations away from the site.

Supporting the creative and personal boundaries and individuality of the folks we work with.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Oct 19 16 10:04 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I dunno, I kin barely speak English  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Oct 19 16 11:00 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

sospix wrote: