Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > My Best, My Worst, and general critique

Photographer

Bold Belle

Pittsburg, Kansas, US

I've been doing my thing for a minute, but given my chances to get creative are here and there (hopefully is becoming more frequent)

I feel I'm getting stale a bit. Glamor/Pin-up/Fashion is my thing for the most part (but I'll do other things). So could you tell me what's the best in my portfolio & the worst (why for both) & any general advice/critiques you have about my portfolio

Oct 23 16 09:50 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Your exposures, tonality and focus seem all over the place. This brings down the quality of shots and means they don't have a consistent look. Put your focus point on the  eyes (unless you have a good reason to do anything else) and use live view and a monopod if you're using a DSLR with less than great primary focusing. (Ie most, if you're shooting with wide apertures.) Decide how you want skin to look and place your exposure to get this look consistently using a spot meter and the zone system:

http://clickitupanotch.com/2013/01/zone … he-basics/

And learn how to use the curve tool in your editor to get decent tonality.

(These are the problems that most MM photographers have; you're not alone.)

Oct 24 16 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Bold Belle

Pittsburg, Kansas, US

thiswayup wrote:
Your exposures, tonality and focus seem all over the place. This brings down the quality of shots and means they don't have a consistent look. Put your focus point on the  eyes (unless you have a good reason to do anything else) and use live view and a monopod if you're using a DSLR with less than great primary focusing. (Ie most, if you're shooting with wide apertures.) Decide how you want skin to look and place your exposure to get this look consistently using a spot meter and the zone system:

http://clickitupanotch.com/2013/01/zone … he-basics/

And learn how to use the curve tool in your editor to get decent tonality.

(These are the problems that most MM photographers have; you're not alone.)

Thank you very much for the critique. I'll definitely look at the website. I'm still trying to learn how to meter bit of a challenge but hopefully I'll get the hang of it

Oct 24 16 11:23 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Bold Belle wrote:

Thank you very much for the critique. I'll definitely look at the website. I'm still trying to learn how to meter bit of a challenge but hopefully I'll get the hang of it

These are all problems you can fix in one or two shoots. When you do so you'll see your work jump enormously, then you won't feel like you are in a rut.

The key to metering is to take a spot reading on the model's skin and then to dial in the proper compensation - that link will explain everything.

Oct 24 16 05:39 pm Link