Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Foodie Question: Marinate for Roast Chicken?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm in the mood to roast some chicken this week.  Not only is it good for dinner, but I can make a large batch & each cold chicken for lunch, too.

I usually just roast chicken thighs -- love the flavor, and they are easy to eat.  And by sticking to the same cut, I don't have to worry about timing breasts & legs differently.

I usually make a marinate featuring orange juice, lemon or lime juice, lots of crushed garlic, soy sauce, olive oil, and some herbs.  Works great.

But I want to break out of my old habits.  So, any suggestions for an alternative marinate?

Oct 23 16 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I always use cider vinegar as a base. My most-used marinade is basically extra-spicy lemon pepper with mustard seeds thrown in. I mostly eat boneless, skinless breasts, so I tend to use spicier and more acidic marinades.

For grilling, sometimes I just use vinegar, Mexican hot sauce, and sugar.

I'm happy to pm you the recipe if you'd like.

Oct 23 16 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
But I want to break out of my old habits.  So, any suggestions for an alternative marinate?

marinate yourself in a bunch of whiskey and then order delivery. wink

Oct 23 16 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I usually just roast chicken thighs -- love the flavor, and they are easy to eat.  And by sticking to the same cut, I don't have to worry about timing breasts & legs differently.

I usually make a marinate featuring orange juice, lemon or lime juice, lots of crushed garlic, soy sauce, olive oil, and some herbs.  Works great.

I recommend my Grapefruit-Tangerine Marinade as an alternative for your roast chicken thighs.

Ingredients:

1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves and tender stems only
2 chopped garlic cloves
1 tsp. finely grated grapefruit zest
1 tsp. finely grated tangerine zest
1/4 c. fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 c. fresh tangerine juice
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. salt

Preparation:
1. Set aside 1/4 c. of the thinly sliced scallions.
2. Pulse the cilantro, garlic, grapefruit zest, tangerine zest, grapefruit juice, tangerine juice, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, salt and the remaining scallions in a food processor or blender until you get a course puree.
3. Set aside 1/4 c. marinade.
4. Place remaining marinade in a large resealable plastic bag, add the chicken, seal the bag, and turn to coat.  Chill at least 20 minutes.
5. Take the chicken out of the bag and roast as you planned to, discarding the rest of the marinade from the bag.
6. After you're done roasting the chicken, serve it with the scallions and marinade you had set aside earlier.

Oct 23 16 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Loma Linda, California, US

Greek marinade: olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and lemon juice
Portuguese piri-piri: paprika, chili powder, lemon juice, garlic, and salt

Oct 23 16 11:09 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

my marinades are typically just whatever is in the fridge that I think goes well.

Sometimes thats beer and honey and some spices
Sometimes a fruit juice and BBQ and some spices
Sometimes a fruit juice (apple or berry) and honey/maple syrup/molasses/brown sugar and some spices
Sometimes wine, sometimes soda, sometimes mustard, sometimes any number of vinegars and oils.

Oct 24 16 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Rhett Landry

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I make hot thighs like hot wings with more meat.  Delicious and filling.

Oct 27 16 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yogurt and Spice!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoori_chicken
(it's probably best to eat it at an Indian restaurant before trying to make it yourself)

Oct 27 16 11:25 pm Link