Forums > Newbie Forum > Portfolio

Model

Alisa S

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi friends! I am a new up and coming model. I just recently got signed with a top modelling agency in Toronto and am looking for a professional fashion photographer, with years of experience in the industry, to create my personal portfolio. I am looking for a professional and established photographer with a personal website and preferably with published editorial work. Rates are negotiable, however I have a limit as to what I can afford. I'm very self driven and am dedicated to achieving success in the industry. If you see potential in me and think we can both benefit from working together I'll be more than happy to trade. Please only message if you meet the requirements listed above.

Nov 11 16 10:10 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcwKDfX1zY

Then put up a casting.

Nov 11 16 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Welcome to the Mayhem hienvy

New Model Info

Nov 11 16 11:12 am Link

Model

Alisa S

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the heads up. I am trying as much as I can to avoid spending money on shots, but agencies are so adamant about paying for your portfolio. But I'm sure all it takes is just a little bit of research and I can probably find a cheap alternative instead of paying hundreds of bucks.

Nov 11 16 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alisa,  be prepared to pay for what you need.   The photographers who do solid agency level fashion and commercial work charge.   Some test for free with models who have a basic book but those who don't will be expected to pay and that will include for a make-up artist.   Odds are it will be a bit more then a couple hundred bucks.

Don't get me wrong.   You can find good people on MM but in general the kind of work agencies can use is something new models have to pay for.   Another thing to consider is time.   Lets say you find a few people to do free tests.   Its likely they may not give you your photos quickly.   Last, you are beautiful but I would advise caution because most of the agencies I know of that book fashion want models 5'8" or taller and younger then 24.

Nov 11 16 12:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Model Mayhem offers models many opportunities to earn money from shoots.  Photographers and artist on MM range from beginners to pros and shoot for every reason under the sun.  You will be inundated with offers to do trade work.  Some people will try to take advantage of you.  Some will be genuine and helpful.   Do yourself a favor and start reading the current threads in the forums, and then work your way back into the old threads.  Particularly under the models section, the photographers and general industry.  This will help you to learn what to expect, what to avoid and how to navigate.

In general, you should consider paying or trading with the best, and being paid by the beginners.  You may have to work for trade as you learn, for a while, but you should trade with the people that benefit you only.   You are self employed as a model on MM.  Be a business person all the time. Get a written agreement specifying timelines, content, fees and expectations with your clients.  Expect some resistance but the alternative is worse.  Read and understand everything before you sign anything.  Read up on Canadian and American laws that will impact you.

Get to know some of the models that post on the forums and some in your area.  You may want to introduce yourself with PMs to models as well as photographers.   You may find it beneficial to ask models questions privately, rather than post in the forums.  The forums are dominated by photographers.  Mostly male.  That will influence the type of feedback you get.

Good luck.

Nov 11 16 01:01 pm Link