Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How many pass words?

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Is it safe to use the same pass word for every thing, except banking, medical records etc..

Nov 22 16 02:19 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.websophist.com/Teeth_IsItSafe_MarathonMan.jpg

Try LastPass

Nov 22 16 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

No, it is not safe to recycle passwords.
Think of passwords as similar to condoms or IV needles.
Is there a really, really pressing need to re-use them?

Nov 22 16 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i've got about 8 that i use in a rotation. somehow there is going to have to be some form of passive password generators, which will--of course--be password protected. smile

everyone should use a 2 step verification though. it's really your last best line of defense.

Nov 22 16 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

GK photo wrote:
everyone should use a 2 step verification though. it's really your last best line of defense.

what is 2 step verification, sorry for dumb question, I went to public school  hmm

Nov 22 16 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:
what is 2 step verification, sorry for dumb question, I went to public school  hmm

2 Step is when you use a second method to access the account. Such as sending a pin code to your cell phone. Another method is a special device that issues a temporary pin which is calculated by the time, you use to log in.

I had to do this at a job once, it's a pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-fac … entication

Nov 22 16 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

At a job I had, I was given this little thick credit card sized device, registered to me.  When I needed to log on, I had to enter a code into the credit card device, and a meaningless password would appear on an LCD screen.  That password was good for about 30 seconds, and I had to log in using a registered (expected) computer.  Twas a pain, but I imagine that is was secure.

How I generate passwords nowadays:
...  Think of a song, one I'll remember for a while (so I tend to choose classic rock songs from decades ago).
...  I also think of the year it was popular.
...  I'd start with the initials to the title of the song (lower case),
...  Followed by the last two digits of the year,
...  Followed by the initials to the key phrase of the song (capital letters),
...  Followed by the first two digits of the year.

So, for example, if I remember that my friend, Kristin, was born in 1978, I might generate a password (using "Happy Birthday") as follows:  hbty78HBDK19 -- all I got to do is remember to sing Happy Birthday to Kristin.

Nov 22 16 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Dream-foto wrote:

2 Step is when you use a second method to access the account. Such as sending a pin code to your cell phone. Another method is a special device that issues a temporary pin which is calculated by the time, you use to log in.

I had to do this at a job once, it's a pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-fac … entication

or in the case of email accounts, etc, you give the host (google,etc) your cell phone, and if someone (including you) tries to access it, they send you a text. that's how podesta's emails were hacked. he got phished, and didn't have a 2fa way of protecting his account. in this day and age, it's pretty insane not to do what you can to protect your shit.

Nov 22 16 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

GK photo wrote:

or in the case of email accounts, etc, you give the host (google,etc) your cell phone, and if someone (including you) tries to access it, they send you a text. that's how podesta's emails were hacked. he got phished, and didn't have a 2fa way of protecting his account. in this day and age, it's pretty insane not to do what you can to protect your shit.

+1

also perhaps mildly relevant to those who like biometrics, current court cases suggest that biometric passwords (say fingerprints) are not protected by the Fifth amendment :

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016 … ngerprint/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014 … ngerprint/

Nov 22 16 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

one password for everything!

the password is.... EATMYSHORTS

Nov 23 16 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

The F-Stop wrote:
one password for everything!

the password is.... EATMYSHORTS

i'm many years removed from any apple products, but my last password to get into their cocoon was; ifuckinghateapple. smile

Nov 23 16 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

Sometimes I convert important dates into hexidecimal, other times I use issues I remember from childhood. Works for me.

Nov 23 16 03:57 pm Link