Forums > Model Colloquy > Staying Confident

Model

Kathleen Moody

Los Angeles, California, US

Obviously being a model has its ups and downs. How do you guys remain confident when you are feeling low? How do you motivate yourselves to carry on and pursue your dreams?

Dec 12 16 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Write script, follow script. Not based on feeling.

Dec 13 16 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

FFantastique wrote:

I disagree.  In my experience and observation (on both sides of the camera), the model's comfort and sense of how well (s)he's doing can determine whether or not the shot and/or shoot will be successful.  Unless you're going for the lowest artistic level, the boobs and bubble-butt kind of "Glamour" in which case nobody's looking at the model's face, anyway.

All IMHO as always, of course.

ETA re: the OP's original question: Try to remove any negative thoughts right at the beginning of the day.  Listen to music while having a good breakfast, allow enough time to wake up and get started on your own schedule (hard to do if you're shooting a movie or TV show so make sure you get plenty of sleep and have everything you'll need ready the night before..

Allow plenty of time to get to the shoot and get ready.  Don't allow yourself to be rushed.  Harder to do in a small shoot than in a large one with lots of people so if it's going to be a one-on-one kind of shoot, try to establish a level of rapport with the photographer in the negotiation phase (assuming there is a negotiation phase)

Remember (and remind yourself as necessary) that you're there because the photographer or casting agent thinks you're the best out of dozens (possibly even hundreds) of applicants for the job.  Who are you to disagree with them?

Dec 13 16 08:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Kathleen Moody wrote:
Obviously being a model has its ups and downs.

Every occupation has.

How do you guys remain confident when you are feeling low?

Why should you oppose to a feeling? Feelings are natural. Stay the way you feel, don't try to act upon it. Look at it and it will go naturally.

How do you motivate yourselves to carry on and pursue your dreams?

These are the sick ideas of consumerism - work 24/7, be productive at 200%, pursue illusions. Why? Just be human, take a rest, have some joy in life. Then you will have energy naturally. Effort and chasing imaginary things will only exhaust you and make you feel lower and lower and at the end of your life you will ask "what was all this about?"

Dec 14 16 04:31 am Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

It's important to keep a good balance. Keep your personal life going outside of modeling. Pursue hobbies and spend time with friends. Take self care seriously and do what you need to take care of yourself. Sometimes that means taking some time off to revitalize.

On the business side, it really helps to have a plan for how you're going to market yourself so that you know what steps to take to get and keep things moving. Just having the clarity of knowing what your next step is helps a lot in staying confident.

And as an artist, it's super important to be creating work that inspires you and lights you up, so if your paid work isn't getting enough of that done find some trade work that will. smile

Dec 14 16 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

FFantastique wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. I do feel that rapport between model and photographer is critical. But a model's job is to act without the benefit of a supporting character, without mood music, without time to redo something over and over, and all within a split second to emote a feeling by expression and body positioning. The photographer is the director who's job is get the performance from the model and capture it. Both jobs can be difficult when there are outside negative influences, but we still need to do our jobs. THAT'S OUR JOBS and they become easier with experience.

Dec 26 16 11:00 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

I think self-care is really important, personally.  For me, that means taking care of my body, spending time with people who love me, journaling about my goals, etc.  I think it can be very evident in photos if a model is not feeling totally confident or good about themselves, so for me taking care of myself is kind of part of the job description.

Jan 25 17 03:57 pm Link