Forums > Critique > Critique my portfolio :)

Photographer

Filippo Pappalardo

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to MM and I've set up my portfolio based on a couple of shoots I've made using this website plus some other photos to show what type of subject I tend to like. It's essentially a bit of a mixed bag right now!

Could you please have a look at it and give me your impressions? Please be totally blunt big_smile

I'd love to read your opinions and understand what you think is more appropriate to keep, what to remove, even how to arrange, in the eyes of people who are more experienced than me!

Here's the link: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3804588/viewall

Thanks!

Dec 14 16 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Filippo Pappalardo wrote:
...I've set up my portfolio based on a couple of shoots I've made using this website plus some other photos to show what type of subject I tend to like. It's essentially a bit of a mixed bag right now!

Who do you perceive as your potential client base?  a.k.a. are you interested in monetizing your work or are you simply a hobbyist who enjoys the creativity this medium brings?

Stop and think seriously about this before you move forward... i.e. you only have one chance to make a favorable lasting impression especially if you wish to pursue a commercial path...

My thoughts? From a perspective of the commercial side of the image equation your book lacks both continuity and a strong visual statement... Meaning you haven't yet found your voice...

Biggest blunder in your above inference? Setting up your book based on your Mayhem experience...
Filippo Mayhem is an outlier in the industry... It does not represent commercial realities, not even close...

First issue is the inclusion of nudes... That is a major deal breaker for the lion's share of potential clients... Remember wedding shooters are paid by the MOB... Same with commercial entities who will be immediately turned off by the presence of +18 imagery in your book... Yes it is popular with Mayhem hobbyist so if you are not looking to generate a revenue stream have at it...

Best advice for turning commercial? Assist other commercial shooters in your market... this is a tried and true path into an overcrowded industry... Competition is fierce, seriously fierce...   

That said if your heart is set on collaborating with models then by all means cobble together a book which reflects this aspiration...  Canvass all the agencies in your market to be certain you craft your visual statement in harmony with theirs otherwise you will be totally ignored...

Need an example?  Review the Development Board for DNA Models... both Men and Women
Your book needs to look like these images if you hope to actually work with agency talent.
btw, you book must be gender neutral i.e. at least +20% male talent and have a healthy ethnic mix...

As for Mayhem, yes there are commercial entities still here...
How to tell? They are published... it's that simple... Get publish, now not later...

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
All the best on your journey...

Dec 15 16 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Filippo Pappalardo

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your input! I am not interested in monetising on my photos at any level, so yes it is purely at a hobbyist level. I just enjoy the whole process of learning new stuff and with photography... man there's no end to learning!

So with that in mind, this is total freedom of expression for me. At this stage I would like to get more experience directing models, photoshoots arrangement in general, of course shooting techniques and even photo editing. A simple case of shooting in order to continue shooting.

Hope this clarifies a bit smile

Dec 15 16 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

I love this image.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151109/11/5640ed4409806.jpg

Feb 16 17 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

At the other extreme, this image seems a tad flat to me.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/161115/23/582c0a6a2fd4e.jpg

Feb 16 17 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

The image of the girl looking at the sailboat seems to tell a story but doesn't seem particularly strong as an image.

The model kneeling at the base of a tree is interesting. I think something could be a little better about it, but I can't figure out what. I still like the image.

Many of your photos grab me in some way but put me off in some undefined way. I guess many people would consider that to be great art. You have some interesting work. I appreciated seeing your stuff.

Feb 16 17 03:19 pm Link